AI Nero 5 killing fish

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i lost a small mckosker wrasse that i had added in a pair...found him dead on the back as well a few days ago.
ive had the nero for awhile,this is my first loss...thinking because he was smaller than most fish in the tank..and i recently reconfigured my flow.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my guard for mine made. It's being produced and shipped by melevs reef. But was designed by a guy on here.

15680398490614820670860553263025.jpg

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech who is their sister company (they merged in 2014) provided a partial fix with their foam guards for their Vortech pumps but they can clog easily. However there are 3rd party companies like Nemprotect that are selling guards for the Vortech pumps and I will wager when the Nero 6 is released you will see a different rear (inside the tank) design for this pump. ;)

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are recalls in many different industries all of the time to correct design flaws, I guess that fish tank owners don't rate! :mad:
Most recalls have to do with safety, as in people get sick or hurt.

You see more recalls in pet food now because of the internet and the amount of exposure and bag press some companies get.

I don't think fish getting sucked into a powerhead rates very high on the scale

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recalls have to do with safety, as in people get sick or hurt.

You see more recalls in pet food now because of the internet and the amount of exposure and bag press some companies get.

I don't think fish getting sucked into a powerhead rates very high on the scale
Maybe preventing the deaths of the fish that we hobbyists own doesn't rate for Ai but the owners of their equipment will definitely vote with their wallets when they make their future purchases.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AI Nero 5 and really like it, but.... it’s killed 3 of my fish. 2 tangs and now my mandarin gobie. The tangs have both been sucked on to the back of the pump and stuck there and tonight, I was enjoying watching my little mandarin swim around the tank. He got to close to the pump and it sucked him in. I’ve immediately disconnected the pump and in the morning will be switching back to my gyre. I think I’m feeling a little traumatized and ticked off right now having witnessed this. Anyone else experience this??
The exact same thing happened to my clownfish and chromis even with the guard

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to two of my fish
Same just killed 2 chromis, and a juvenile tomini tang yesterday with the guard from aqua illumination on it. I’m pretty sure with them releasing this guard they are admitting to the issue. I’m gonna contact them. They owe me money for my fish. The thing was only at 10% power. How is that even possible? Dose this thing have a black hole in it or something?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same just killed 2 chromis, and a juvenile tomini tang yesterday with the guard from aqua illumination on it. I’m pretty sure with them releasing this guard they are admitting to the issue. I’m gonna contact them. They owe me money for my fish. The thing was only at 10% power. How is that even possible? Dose this thing have a black hole in it or something?
Mine was running at 12% power but I didn’t put the guard on it, after I started putting the guard I haven’t had any fish die

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got sucked onto the guard and stuck there over night. Must of died from shock or something.
I had a Foxface that didn't look well, it was swimming strangely and had stopped eating. I woke up one morning to find it stuck to the rear guard so apparently it didn't have the strength to swim away from the suction of the Nero 5.

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Foxface that didn't look well, it was swimming strangely and had stopped eating. I woke up one morning to find it stuck to the rear guard so apparently it didn't have the strength to swim away from the suction of the Nero 5.
Weird enough the night before I went to bed and this happened, my tang was swimming upright and pecking at nls algae wafers.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but does the AI "fish guard" included now with the Nero solve the "fish blender" problem?

Was planning to buy a Nero 5 until I found all of these posts about fish/snail/other deaths so now I'm freaked out -- my urchin and starfish are always all over everything inside the tank so that was my biggest concern, but now I'm worried about my fish too.

If the 3D printed options mentioned numerous times in this thread are a better solution and work, I'll go that route.

If there's still animal safety issues with the AI Nero 5, I'm steering another direction.

Thoughts/comments?

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but does the AI "fish guard" included now with the Nero solve the "fish blender" problem?

Was planning to buy a Nero 5 until I found all of these posts about fish/snail/other deaths so now I'm freaked out -- my urchin and starfish are always all over everything inside the tank so that was my biggest concern, but now I'm worried about my fish too.

If the 3D printed options mentioned numerous times in this thread are a better solution and work, I'll go that route.

If there's still animal safety issues with the AI Nero 5, I'm steering another direction.

Thoughts/comments?

Avoid this company in general at all cost. I’ve now had cleaner shrimp be sucked up onto it and killed in the middle of the night when it runs at 10%. The guard dosnt do crap it’s this things shape and design. I’ve tried calling the company but no one ever answers. I’ve also tried returning to the store “coral corral” were I bought them but got “AI told us they will be handling return requests personally and you need to call them.”. I even filed a complaint on the Better Business Bureau but they still never got back to me over a month+ later.

Ive now lost 2 tangs, 4 chromis, and a blood cleaner shrimp to this thing. I think it’s the way the design curves in towards the back it makes a really powerful vacuum. I decided to run my tank with a airstone instead till I can get ecotech marine mp40’s. Those come with foam guards for the whole body, and don’t have a design we’re the back of the fan has room behind it’s cage

AVOID AQUA ILLUMINATION AT ALL COST!

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought some 3d printed nem guards for mine I have 2 5s and 2 3s in my tank no issues thus far

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four Nero 5s and have never lost one fish or creature (I do not run the guards on them)...As most have said, to get sucked in I feel like something had to of been wrong with the fish. Also, two of them are running at nearly 100%.

Last edited:

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four Nero 5s and have never lost one fish or creature (I do not run the guards on them)...As most have said, to get sucked in I feel like something had to of been wrong with the fish. Also, two of them are running at nearly 100%.
Your funeral. They released the guards for a reason. The company itself knows the shape of these causes a vacuum. It sucked a cleaner shrimp off my tanks bottom all the way up to my waterline and onto the guard. This was at night when it only ran at 10%. Also while some have said other issues have been the cause. It seems a bit more divided. It’s not most.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back