AI PRIME 16HD enough?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a Red Sea Max C 130 tank. I want to completely remove the hood and go rimless. So I am looking into wifi controlled lighting systems and the AI prime 16hd seems to be good. Will it be enough for my 34G tank?
I plan on keeping softies & LPS only.
DImensions:
1440 x 500 x 610 mm
(57” x 20” x 24”)

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One prime can cover 24”x24”x24”

this should* be enough par for softies and low light lps. But I don’t think higher light corals would like it much. I run two AI prime HD (not 16) over my 24”x24”x12 mounted as high as the mounting bracket will go. I’m getting about 250 ish par at the frag rack.

Two primes or a hydra tou would pretty much be able to grow most corals on my opinion. Just one you should be able to do most lower-mid light corals like softies and maybe some lps

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One prime can cover 24”x24”x24”

this should* be enough par for softies and low light lps. But I don’t think higher light corals would like it much. I run two AI prime HD (not 16) over my 24”x24”x12 mounted as high as the mounting bracket will go. I’m getting about 250 ish par at the frag rack.

Two primes or a hydra tou would pretty much be able to grow most corals on my opinion. Just one you should be able to do most lower-mid light corals like softies and maybe some lps
I will not be putting in any sps. It will be 50/50 softies and LPS. So you're saying it won't be enough for LPS (torch,hammer, duncans etc.)? If so, do you have any suggestions of other LED systems? Preferably controlled through the phone.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not be putting in any sps. It will be 50/50 softies and LPS. So you're saying it won't be enough for LPS (torch,hammer, duncans etc.)? If so, do you have any suggestions of other LED systems? Preferably controlled through the phone.

I think it’s a good light. And should be ok for lower light corals. But I’m no expert. I’m not sure what par you can get from just one. But I think it’s a great light. I love mine. Tou can always start with one and add another later is you want more par later.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a good light. And should be ok for lower light corals. But I’m no expert. I’m not sure what par you can get from just one. But I think it’s a great light. I love mine. Tou can always start with one and add another later is you want more par later.
I just watched a BRS video and they did a test and put a 16hd one on a 24x24 inch cube and the light was 10 inches off the water. The average par was 97 and it was distributed very well with not hot/cold spots. Correct me if im wrong but 97 par is more than enough for softies and LPS right?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I borrowed this from google:

As a general rule of thumb, corals require the following PAR levels: Soft Corals (zoanthids, palythoa, mushrooms and leathers): 50-150 PAR. LPS Corals: 50-150 PAR. Hard Corals(stony corals, small polyp stony): 200-500 PAR.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I borrowed this from google:

As a general rule of thumb, corals require the following PAR levels: Soft Corals (zoanthids, palythoa, mushrooms and leathers): 50-150 PAR. LPS Corals: 50-150 PAR. Hard Corals(stony corals, small polyp stony): 200-500 PAR.

Hope this helps.
Thank you that helps, now I need to find someone with a similar task size as mine so they could definitely tell me if 1 is enough.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that helps, now I need to find someone with a similar task size as mine so they could definitely tell me if 1 is enough.

One AI 16hd will be enough for some soft and LPS corals, but not all of them. 97 PAR is flirting with the lower end. All of my LPS and zoa’s are in 180-230 PAR and are very happy.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they wouldn't exactly thrive in ~100 par?

Maybe, maybe not. It’s hard to give exacts in this hobby. If you want to be sure, get a stronger light that you can turn down a little. That will give you room if you need more light.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, maybe not. It’s hard to give exacts in this hobby. If you want to be sure, get a stronger light that you can turn down a little. That will give you room if you need more light.
I would but my budget is tight that is the problem. Also, I found a used AI prime 16hd for 100$ which is a steal obviously. This is why I wanna get it.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the $100 ai prime, and try, and get a second ai prime when you find another one used for a decent price of you need more light later down the line. But a HD 16 for $100 is great

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back