AI Prime HD setting for refugium

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acquired 1 prime HD light and I am going to use it on my refugium. The area it will cover is 22X20. So my questions are:

1) what color channels should I use for best growth?
2) What % of these channels would be best?

I have a big built ahead of me and this light was free so I am hoping I can use it for the refugium. I have no doubt it can grow micro algae but I also know the right setting will optimize growth.

Thanks

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd trade it in for a refugium specific light, like the offerings from Kessil. If that's not an option, I'd prioritize the warm white channels and any purple/red light channels as well.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off what I've read, I think you would be better focusing on the red, green, and blue channels. But I don't see how some white would hurt. Maybe this is something @Dana Riddle can help with as I am no expert on what spectrums benefit plant life.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd trade it in for a refugium specific light, like the offerings from Kessil. If that's not an option, I'd prioritize the warm white channels and any purple/red light channels as well.
I totally agree that the kessil light or an horticultural light would be the best thing to use. I was going to buy the kessil before I won this light. I have been getting everything together for my new built for a year now. Using this light would let me save some money for other equipment. I have a LOT more to get.LOL

Thanks

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better focusing on the red, green, and blue channels. But I don't see how some white would hurt. Maybe this is something @Dana Riddle
From everything I have read and watched you a absolutely right. I don't have any way to check the spectrum of the light. I hope the light master will help me out.:)

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a spectrum chart in a BRStv Investigates video and I know the AI Red, Green and Blue hit the proper frequencies, I just don't know what intensities to set it to.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends upon your algae selection. Green algae have a different absorption spectrum than red or brown species.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just run all at 100%. It’s not like it’s a huge energy hog and it sure won’t hurt anything to run them all. It’s not like having extra spectrum is going to drive grown into the ground.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked the weedy profusion of Caulerpa in a refugium, mainly due to it not self-shading as much a Chaeto can. But I've grown Chaeto too using some of the low wattage PAR38 LED lamps with good success. The reverse daylight photosynthesis program has worked well for me.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked the weedy profusion of Caulerpa in a refugium, mainly due to it not self-shading as much a Chaeto can
Do you know were I can get this type of caulerpa?

The reverse daylight photosynthesis program has worked well for me.
I was also plain on running a reverse lighting program to help stop PH swings.

In your opinion this light with all channels at 100% would be a goo light for growing these algae's?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been studies showing Caulerpa serrulata has a minimum light requirement at a PAR value of 20, and a max at 200 (or about 10,000 lux.)
I suspect it is the same with other Caulerpa species. Caulerpa seems to have fallen out of favor as a refugium algae, which seems odd as it is a fast grower. I haven't seen it in any LFS for a while but it is available from online vendors.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my chaeto with a simple cfl lamp. It grow really slow but I think was related to power.
Then I used an old led light with just the neutral white LEDs ON (10x 3w LEDs), never tried the blues because I was getting great growth.
Now I use a PAR38 with blues, violet and red, and I have great growth as well.

Great growth with only whites, great growth with only blues/reds.

If I were you I would choose all channels 100%, BUT intensity of just like 50%. Then is just a matter of keep observing the chaeto.
Too much light can kill it. Not enough light will make it slow growth.

Also important related to chaeto: if its tight curly, darker green = not enough light (you will see this in shadow parts of it).
If it is more longer, spaghetti like, lighter green = enough light.

Optionally you can had a small low power powerhead in sump so more water is pushed to chaeto all the time. If you have good flow skip.

Finally when you reach low nutrients logically the growth will slow.

Anyway you must try it yourself and tell us how it is working.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been studies showing Caulerpa serrulata has a minimum light requirement at a PAR value of 20, and a max at 200 (or about 10,000 lux.)
I suspect it is the same with other Caulerpa species. Caulerpa seems to have fallen out of favor as a refugium algae, which seems odd as it is a fast grower. I haven't seen it in any LFS for a while but it is available from online vendors.
I think it is related to becoming sexual and could propagate itself to the DT.
But I never used it. Maybe someone with experience with caulerpa chime in.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing I have heard over the year about Caulerpa it can go asexual and get into the display tank but I don't personally know anyone this has happen to. Thanks for the response.

OP
OP
Upstartreefer

Upstartreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my chaeto with a simple cfl lamp. It grow really slow but I think was related to power.
That is what is used on my old tank. it grew fast until it ran out of nutrients because I started carbon dosing. I am planning on this refugium being large enough to take care of the bulk of my nutrient export. Thanks

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing I have heard over the year about Caulerpa it can go asexual and get into the display tank but I don't personally know anyone this has happen to. Thanks for the response.
I have had a little leaf or two in the display. Once rooted it is impossible to eradicate and it takes over. I had to restart a 35 gal because of it. I would guess different species are more or less invasive, and you livestock may help control it. But NEVER again for me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back