Algae Growth on Acan Skeleton

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have tips on maybe better placement or things that can be done to prevent algae grown on acan skeletons?

This pic was taken like 15 mins after lights came on, so they aren't looking too happy in these pics.
But it's something I've begun to notice and I feel like I'm having issues with because I've yet to have these guys grow other heads.

Any tips? I feel like out of all my corals I have the most trouble with Acans.

MVIMG_20200428_092304.jpg MVIMG_20200428_092312.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to do the same stuff that prevents algae on the rocks. Clean up crew and good water... not aware of anything specific for coral skeletons
Honestly might just need more CUC in terms of hermits. I only have 3 in the tank.

Do you think more flow would help prevent algae growth as well? Generally they like low so he's like right underneath a powerhead.

Last edited:

AnneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't think flow will help significantly with algae growth. GHA can be rooted very well. Get a tuxedo urchin they are great and more effective than hermits in my experience.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't think flow will help significantly with algae growth. GHA can be rooted very well. Get a tuxedo urchin they are great and more effective than hermits in my experience.
I thought about it, but only have a 45g with a lot of frags that chill in the sandbed and rockwork not glued that I rather not be taken for a ride.

Might just try to manually remove tonight.

AnneO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sandbed ones should be fine but yeah mine does knock off any that are not secured to the rock. I am pretty hopeless at fixating corals it takes me huuuge amounts of putty but recently I had more success with the ATI easy frag which is basically like hot glue. Its small pellets that you soak it in hot water and if you want to move the corals later you can pry it off in one piece and re-soak it then you can reuse it. I found that my corals only start encrusting and growing when they are 100% secure. But the stuff is white which is pretty ooogly in the tank

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back