Algae ID Discussion HELP!!

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just got back from a weeks vacation and came back to this. I have no idea what the dark spots on the sand bed are. Also, the slime-looking algae on the rocks. This tanks is coming up on 3 months old and I have done water changes biweekly now since the tank was cycled. Is this just a bad diatom bloom or is this something a little more serious? If anyone knows please let me know what I can do to fix it!!! Thanks!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just got back from a weeks vacation and came back to this. I have no idea what the dark spots on the sand bed are. Also, the slime-looking algae on the rocks. This tanks is coming up on 3 months old and I have done water changes biweekly now since the tank was cycled. Is this just a bad diatom bloom or is this something a little more serious? If anyone knows please let me know what I can do to fix it!!! Thanks!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Someone help please!!

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Like Cyanobacteria. Try Chemiclean, for me it worked very well. For now, try to remove as much as possible with water changes. Whats the flow in the tank like? High flow reduced alot of the cyano then I finished it off with chemiclean. All the best

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks Like Cyanobacteria. Try Chemiclean, for me it worked very well. For now, try to remove as much as possible with water changes. Whats the flow in the tank like? High flow reduced alot of the cyano then I finished it off with chemiclean. All the best
That’s what I was thinking. The flow is good and I removed a lot of it manually today. I will do at water change tomorrow, should I use chemiclean tomorrow as well? Thanks!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add chemi pure elite. Turkey baster out any you can
Replace sw with clean new sw.
Increase protein skimmer by 1/4: turn to the right to make skimate a little more wet.
Hths you. If your skimate is already wet and light tea color than skip that and just do a small water change.
D

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd clean that wall to the right too as well as whatever in your water could be lingering on that back wall and just multiplying.
D
Ok, got 3 turbo snails working on the back wall as we speak lol. I do not have a skimmer in this setup. It’s a biocube rimless mod with AI Prime 16 light. I’ve read where a skimmer isn’t necessary, what do you think? I removed a lot of it today manually and will do a water change tomorrow. Add chemiclean tomorrow after the water change or before? Thanks!!

yovertenezaca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar case when I went on vacation I beloved it was the lighting for me and since my tank is near the window it got even more sunlight. What I did was get as much out by hand ,Water changes and pitched the green machine killer which is a uv sterlizer that is great at getting rid of this stuff but not great for bigger problems. Hope this helps!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suggest the chemi clean. I suggest chemi pure or chemi pure elite.
Two different products. One is a carbon and the other is a medication like treatment for your water.
D

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 month old tank should be getting weekly water changes not biweekly. Chemiclean will open the door for a lot of big problems for you. Cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only, no whites. Siphon out what you can. Get a diverse cleaner crew. Add good bacteria like PNS probio.

What are your complete water parameters now?

OP
OP
B

birddawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 month old tank should be getting weekly water changes not biweekly. Chemiclean will open the door for a lot of big problems for you. Cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only, no whites. Siphon out what you can. Get a diverse cleaner crew. Add good bacteria like PNS probio.

What are your complete water parameters now?
I do not have the exact parameters right now. Was going to do a water change tomorrow. Got lost of it siphoned out today. I have chemipure blue, should I switch to elite? What other cuc should I get besides my 3 big turbo snails? I also do not run white on my tank at all, and have not in about a month.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have the exact parameters right now. Was going to do a water change tomorrow. Got lost of it siphoned out today. I have chemipure blue, should I switch to elite? What other cuc should I get besides my 3 big turbo snails? I also do not run white on my tank at all, and have not in about a month.
Cerith snails, maybe some Tongan nacarius snails to stir up you sand. Ensure you have adequate flow in the tank. Chemipure blue is fine but better to have current parameters before adding stuff. 3 month old tank will experience various ugly stages the first year. Adding good natural bacteria will help along with pods and phytoplankton.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back