Algae outbreak after goby introduction

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well! I’m battling a green hair algae outbreak, I didn’t always have green hair algae but since I introduced my goby into the tank, it seems my algae has skyrocketed. Does anyone know if the unsifted sand being sifted for the first time since I set my tank up about a year ago could be the issue? Had a pretty bad sandstorm but it’s gotten a lot better since I’ve been doing water changes, however, my algae problem hasn’t gotten any better. Also had 0 readings on nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, and ammonia.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well! I’m battling a green hair algae outbreak, I didn’t always have green hair algae but since I introduced my goby into the tank, it seems my algae has skyrocketed. Does anyone know if the unsifted sand being sifted for the first time since I set my tank up about a year ago could be the issue? Had a pretty bad sandstorm but it’s gotten a lot better since I’ve been doing water changes, however, my algae problem hasn’t gotten any better. Also had 0 readings on nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, and ammonia.

Chances are with little nutrients is one of the causes for this.

But other factors can be at play.

RO/DI water?
Lights: type, intensity.
Husbandry: water changes, nutrient export?
Coral?
Feeding: heavy, lite?
Type of rock?
Sand?
Etc....

Adding a goby shouldn't be the cause.

OP
OP
QuarantinedCorals

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are with little nutrients is one of the causes for this.

But other factors can be at play.

RO/DI water?
Lights: type, intensity.
Husbandry: water changes, nutrient export?
Coral?
Feeding: heavy, lite?
Type of rock?
Sand?
Etc....

Adding a goby shouldn't be the cause.
I’ve been using RO/DI water to top my tank off recently, made the switch from bottled water. I’ve been doing water changes monthly, id say about 25% monthly. I have a protein skimmer, I run chemi pure blue elite, and carbon in my hang on back filters and I clean my hob filters every time I do a water change. I have soft coral predominantly, i have 2 flower pots, a monti, leather, gorgonian, 3 toadstools, gsp, and some zoas, all my coral is struggling do to my algae issue. I feed daily, once a day frozen but I feed light, I don’t have any left over food in the tank. I got some nature’s ocean dry rock from amazon, I’ve had my tank running for about a year and I have tons of bio balls in my filters. I got a couple pounds of petco sand and 20 lbs of live sand. My lights are 2 ocean revives, blues are set on 5 and whites are set to 15. My lights are on from 3:00pm-10:00pm with blue and white mixed, from 10:00pm-11:00pm it’s just the blues. Not sure if I missed anything! I appreciate the response.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back