Algae problem

Martin2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of exams and such, I’ve let my tank be for a few weeks and there’s way too much algae in it (guessing hair algae). I’ve looked for products to get rid of it but there’s way too many mixed opinions and I don’t want to buy some random alibaba chemicals to put in my tank. Pls help don’t know what to do

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of exams and such, I’ve let my tank be for a few weeks and there’s way too much algae in it (guessing hair algae). I’ve looked for products to get rid of it but there’s way too many mixed opinions and I don’t want to buy some random alibaba chemicals to put in my tank. Pls help don’t know what to do
My go-to solution is an herbivore, like a snail. Adjusting nitrate and phosphate levels does not seem very effective. Chemical remedies might work, but not for everyone and there is the chance of harming the animals in the aquarium.

I cleaned up a 70 gallon aquarium full of algae in a week with 20 Mexican turbo snails. Of course, that was too many and I ended uo feeding them every day with an 8x8 sheet of dried seaweed. They live 2+ years and can grow into large snails.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? A pic would be good under white light. Someone will be able to ID the algae and suggest a resolution.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with danp, a good CUC will do wonders. Get some pitho crabs, they will eat it and are reef safe, I have 3 in my 90 gallon

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, a pic under white lights will help diagnose. What type of CUC do you have and how long is the algae? Most CUC will not do anything if it is too long and manual removal is needed. Do you know your phos level? If it is very high, you will want to get it down under 0.10, this will aid in manual removal.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole can knock it back, but youll have to remove manually or with cuc long term.

OP
OP
Martin2010

Martin2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not adding more info. It’s a 50 gal filled up to the 45 gal line because I don’t have a top I’m getting one soon. I’ve had it for 3 years but had to leave it for the entirety of 2023 because of a velvet outbreak in Jan 2023 and I put fish December 2023. CUC is 3-5 crabs, some of them died and a few snails (most got eaten by the crabs sadly). There’s two ocellaris clowns in it and they’ve been in for about 5 months. I test with API (i know) and some ammonia tester (compared it with a friends that has a high quality ammonia tester and worked about the same only difference is the precision). Looking at your comments and other people’s experiences, I would say mass bombing the tank with CUC but there are a few things I have to take into consideration. What kind of snail/crab should I get? I need smth that’s relatively cheap so I won’t be using 200 dollars. What to feed and where to buy would also be a slight issue. If any of you that have had this problem could answer these questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Img down below btw

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Martin2010

Martin2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I don’t have my light on currently but they do get a lot of sunlight

Attachments

• 73539940614__F09AD96A-FF76-4D11-9B93-511752158108.MOV
    375.4 KB
OP
OP
Martin2010

Martin2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently cleaning my rocks, equipment and some of the sand. Going to do a big water change too so the water looks cleaner and will get a few turbo snails. Looking good as of so far. One issue, I removed the rocks and used dish soap so idk what the issues will be but I didn’t put the cleaned rocks in the tank yet so open for any suggestions. My idea is to wash them with ro freshwater after cleaning with dish soap

OP
OP
Martin2010

Martin2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned the rocks and they look brand new, water change too and making some water rn. One question, how do I sanitize the rocks because I used a few chemical products to clean them and I’m scared of putting them directly in the tank after being cleaned with dish soap and such

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned the rocks and they look brand new, water change too and making some water rn. One question, how do I sanitize the rocks because I used a few chemical products to clean them and I’m scared of putting them directly in the tank after being cleaned with dish soap and such
Put them in a separate bin, like a brute trash can and flush a few times with water if soap only. If you used chemicals, i would not re use the rock.
No one uses soap and chemicals on rocks going in their tanks.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Martin2010

Martin2010

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s all done now. Took all the rocks out and scrubbed them to hell and back. Rinsed them thoroughly with ro and I’m still, a bit scared but so far it doesn’t seem like there’s any problems. I’ll attach the after photo.
image.jpg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s all done now. Took all the rocks out and scrubbed them to hell and back. Rinsed them thoroughly with ro and I’m still, a bit scared but so far it doesn’t seem like there’s any problems. I’ll attach the after photo.
image.jpg
That looks good

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back