Algae question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jenaleigh1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jenaleigh1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
211
Reaction score
22
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm having a huge problem with the algae in this picture. I tried different types of snails and crabs, but nothing seems to like it. My peppermint shrimp look like they eat it sometimes, but I'm guessing they're just thrashing in it from irritation. It will sheet over my rock, and I've been trying to pull it out as much as possible, but I've noticed that some of the thicker patches seem to have almost a soft coral type body underneath?? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 1422999124533.jpg
    1422999124533.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 1422999139593.jpg
    1422999139593.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 197
that kind of moneran responds best to phosphate lowering, installing GFO or other phosphate binders w work best.

intial action is hand remove during siphoning, increase flow, that'll fix it!

margarita snails are known grazers if lucky...po4 control is the most common approach for cyano
B
 
Kill you lights and stop all feeding until it dies off. (usually no more then a week).
then resume with 1/2 lighting and feeding and adjust until good stuff thrives (more light) and the bad stuff doesn't come back (less light).
If you don't have one, I highly recommend a refugium with macro algaes or an algae truf scrubber.
My .02
 
chemi clean works for the cyanic algea.. its kinda dangerous to the tank... but only if overdosed...i used it for mine and it worked wonderfully.
 
I started vodka, and I'm amazed at the improvement. Almost immediate loss of color to the algae and it's been thinning out all week! :)
 
If you use it just follow directions especially adding the airstone to aerate. Chemiclean will lower the oxygen level in your tank. I have used it with great success.
chemi clean works for the cyanic algea.. its kinda dangerous to the tank... but only if overdosed...i used it for mine and it worked wonderfully.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 35.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new