Algae Scrubber Mortar Screen tutorial

Discussion in 'Turbo's Aquatics' started by Floyd R Turbo, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Super Duper Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Article Contributor

I shot this today while I was making a batch of L2 screens. Makes for a decent tutorial.

2. sundog101

sundog101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Great video! How does the growth compare to just a roughed up screen?

3. Floyd R Turbo

I've found that it tends to take off a lot faster, but every tank is different.

On my personal tank it took off like crazy, it went from zero to full coverage in about 8-10 days and I had a box full of algae in 14 days, but my tank might be "conditioned" already...seen it before but can't explain it scientifically

See the recent vids on my YouTube channel, link is in the video description. You'll see what I mean....

sundog101 likes this.
  4. Floyd R Turbo

Also, the mortar layer is sacrificial, it tends to detach a little at a time - usually during cleaning. Then the canvas that becomes exposed starts the normal maturing process, a little at a time. That is a longer process.

A plain rouged up canvas screen can take 4-6 weeks or more to get full coverage. The mortar allows growth to get to that point usually in a week or two. Then the exposed canvas areas mature as they become exposed. So in effect, the mortar screen is like a 2-stage screen

Draft saved Draft deleted