alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am an ex-marine biologist (now engineer). I worked in husbandry at a landlocked aquarium for 4 years. I have been missing my love for tanks, specifically my saltwater babies.
A fried has a Tiger Oscar that has outgrown their tank and has upgraded to a 75 gallon. Thus, I have an empty 40 gallon tank to do with as I please!

I want to make this as affordable as possible (funny, I know). So far without water, rock, and sand I have bought new equipment (i will never use a biowheel on a salt tank EVER) I have spent $250.

I am still debating on whether to get a cheaper light now and upgrade to a full spec adjustable LED once I get my first corals in, but from reading forums I think if I splurge on a $200 AI I will not have any buyers remorse. I am wanting to get this baby setup and running for under $500 (not including fish) so the AI would force me to exceed that budget. Would love advice on this.

So far I purchased/have:
-36 gal bowfront tank & stand
-Marineland 55gal canister filter
- 2x 200W heaters
-wavemaker 1600GPH
-net
-scraper
-vac hose
-lowes buckets

Priority buy:
-saver rock
-live sand
-light (AI????)
-extra biomedia for canister

Want to buy:
-glass top
-SENEYE Reef Aquarium Monitor and Par Meter
-RO/DI unit
- overhang skimmer
-extra bacteria (to seed faster :))

SUGGESTIONS would be wonderful. I have done a lot of reading, and also with my own personal experience Protein skimmers are NOT a MUST. We have had many tanks at the aquarium I worked at that did not require skimmers. Just have to monitor the bio-load. And even more that had skimmers that only needed cleaning the day after a feed.

Once I get this guy set up I will post photos.
With the requirement to stay inside until further notice and my masters being switched to online only, I though it a good time to pick up my love for the salt life.
let's watch this baby grow!

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am an ex-marine biologist (now engineer). I worked in husbandry at a landlocked aquarium for 4 years. I have been missing my love for tanks, specifically my saltwater babies.
A fried has a Tiger Oscar that has outgrown their tank and has upgraded to a 75 gallon. Thus, I have an empty 40 gallon tank to do with as I please!

I want to make this as affordable as possible (funny, I know). So far without water, rock, and sand I have bought new equipment (i will never use a biowheel on a salt tank EVER) I have spent $250.

I am still debating on whether to get a cheaper light now and upgrade to a full spec adjustable LED once I get my first corals in, but from reading forums I think if I splurge on a $200 AI I will not have any buyers remorse. I am wanting to get this baby setup and running for under $500 (not including fish) so the AI would force me to exceed that budget. Would love advice on this.

So far I purchased/have:
-36 gal bowfront tank & stand
-Marineland 55gal canister filter
- 2x 200W heaters
-wavemaker 1600GPH
-net
-scraper
-vac hose
-lowes buckets

Priority buy:
-saver rock
-live sand
-light (AI????)
-extra biomedia for canister

Want to buy:
-glass top
-SENEYE Reef Aquarium Monitor and Par Meter
-RO/DI unit
- overhang skimmer
-extra bacteria (to seed faster :))

SUGGESTIONS would be wonderful. I have done a lot of reading, and also with my own personal experience Protein skimmers are NOT a MUST. We have had many tanks at the aquarium I worked at that did not require skimmers. Just have to monitor the bio-load. And even more that had skimmers that only needed cleaning the day after a feed.

Once I get this guy set up I will post photos.
With the requirement to stay inside until further notice and my masters being switched to online only, I though it a good time to pick up my love for the salt life.
let's watch this baby grow!

I need a reef themed dating app to meet women like this

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build Thread Contributor
UPDATE! Got my first babies!!!
I ordered two mocha Vinci’s since those are the ones I REALLY wanted. But with all the China shipping being banned my LFS just isn’t getting anything in and when they are it’s very few.
sooooo. I got what they had, and I got a Valentini puffer and a yellow watchman goby.
THEY ARE PRECIOUS and I baby talked the heck out of them already. (Leaving the light off for them still for the next 24 so they can get acclimated)

BD16083F-E044-4637-A859-9D1BA07F3172.jpeg
72F00AEF-42D7-4A86-A4F0-5C2837EF86A7.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back