Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Hawkfish that I thought was MIA and eventually had probably died. I found him several months later in one of my overflows - even though I had looked in both of them several times. I drained enough water out of the overflow to catch it and put it back in the display. All was good. Next morning he was back in the overflow. I left it in there for a little longer, until I made my screen top. :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good LFS looking out for the fish first over customers wants, pretty rare thing to come by.

I know we are talking much shorter distances over here but we have a lot of good lfs over here, mine is 5 miles away.
They will get me anything within reason in a few weeks usually and when I have a new fish it is acclimated with the bag floating and water added by the cup and when ready I slowly up end the bag and the fish swim out, no added stress of a final net visit, that is how much I trust my lfs and their water. ;)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we are talking much shorter distances over here but we have a lot of good lfs over here, mine is 5 miles away.
They will get me anything within reason in a few weeks usually and when I have a new fish it is acclimated with the bag floating and water added by the cup and when ready I slowly up end the bag and the fish swim out, no added stress of a final net visit, that is how much I trust my lfs and their water. ;)
This is what i do with mine too. I trust them tons. Aside from shipping stress//new tankmate stress none of my fish have had issues. I prazi'd 2x (each time i added a wrasse) just to be safe. But they really care. They will flat out tell me not to buy a fish because its not coral/CUC safe. They always get in what I request within a week (if its available) and give me the honest truth even when it comes to markups.
Maybe its because the head manager is friends with my best friend. But its a very no-b/s relationship and I love it.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i do with mine too. I trust them tons. Aside from shipping stress//new tankmate stress none of my fish have had issues. I prazi'd 2x (each time i added a wrasse) just to be safe. But they really care. They will flat out tell me not to buy a fish because its not coral/CUC safe. They always get in what I request within a week (if its available) and give me the honest truth even when it comes to markups.
Maybe its because the head manager is friends with my best friend. But its a very no-b/s relationship and I love it.

At the start of the virus thing I worked at my lfs for 6 days or so to cover someone that had to self isolate for 14 days, I have helped out loads in the past year or so, I know the shop markup but due to the quality of the livestock I don't care, they used a fluke treatment on their fish system earlier in the year when I picked up a fish and the first thing said to me was that they had used it so that fish got poured into a net and added. :)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

I know that the anemone shrinks to expel waste. But mine has done it almost every other day since ive had it.

Should I change how I feed? Is this a sign it is about to split? I get so concerned I killed it, then BOOM- back to big fluffy and beautiful anemone.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, maybe feed a little less :)

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question:

Is there a trick or a magical button to press in order to make my fish less timid?

The only ones that arent constantly hiding in the rockwork (sans feeding time) are my pink spot goby/fairy wrasse/and leopard wrasse

-scopas
-lemonpeel
- starry blenny
-occasionally my clown

ALL hide in the rockwork....all day.... until food is out.

Do I not have enough livestock? do they feel vulnerable in small numbers?
I am quite sad. I was hoping that eventually they would warm up to me. But they have been this way for the last 6 month

If you have the space a few dither fish can make all the difference in fish coming out.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,how about a pair of red striped pipes ;)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Got a little early present from @SMSREEF today :)

some good ole Florida keys “mud” and some macro algae he snagged for me on a lil snorkel trip.
We didn’t think anything was gonna make it, since he shipped the package out MONDAY!
But to both of our surprise there was a nassarius out and sniffing around when I was opening up all the packages so I emergency acclimated everything (dumped it all in a bucket with some of my tank water) and hoping for the best!

I’m gonna have to change the water out tomorrow because I didn’t grab an air stone and pump, but I’m not too worried about it. Gonna monitor everything for a week before adding it to the sump.
BTW Shane—- I didn’t tell you this but those vacuum packs seals were killer. Not a drop was spilled in the package. I think you could make $$$ off getting online companies to pick up whatever you did to seal those puppies up.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Got a little early present from @SMSREEF today :)

some good ole Florida keys “mud” and some macro algae he snagged for me on a lil snorkel trip.
We didn’t think anything was gonna make it, since he shipped the package out MONDAY!
But to both of our surprise there was a nassarius out and sniffing around when I was opening up all the packages so I emergency acclimated everything (dumped it all in a bucket with some of my tank water) and hoping for the best!

I’m gonna have to change the water out tomorrow because I didn’t grab an air stone and pump, but I’m not too worried about it. Gonna monitor everything for a week before adding it to the sump.
BTW Shane—- I didn’t tell you this but those vacuum packs seals were killer. Not a drop was spilled in the package. I think you could make $$$ off getting online companies to pick up whatever you did to seal those puppies up.
I’m so happy it finally made it. Some of the macros still look good so I bet more stuff survives.

I bagged everything using my heat sealer. I saw a great UTube video of someone using it to mail macroalgae. I’m glad it worked!

If there are any hermits or other crabs in there, just send them to @fishguy242 because he loves them;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m so happy it finally made it. Some of the macros still look good so I bet more stuff survives.

I bagged everything using my heat sealer. I saw a great UTube video of someone using it to mail macroalgae. I’m glad it worked!

If there are any hermits or other crabs in there, just send them to @fishguy242 because he loves them;)
sounds good..i have a puffer that would love them ;) say hi to spike:)
WP_20201207_17_02_45_Pro (1).jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back