alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.
I purchased a 90g tank sumpstand and accessories for $400 from a guy that’s going an upgrade/downgrade from 5 tanks to 2. It was too good to be true.
so everything is loaded up, and I’m taking it home. I’m super excited to move my 36 to a 90.
well. We get the stand in the front door and down the hall. And you’d never guess it. Like NEVER.
Yep. You guessed it. Stand won’t fit. And no, to answer your first question I did NOT measure the door frame before purchasing this stand and I did NOT ask him to measure the base of the stand. Just the tank. Dingus.
I am unable to rip apart the door frame since this is a rental. So I need help on how to build a DIY tank stand for a 90 gallon cube that is 30”x30”

please save me some heartache. I do not want this baby in my living room as a compromise. I want it in the office where I can daydream about scuba diving right when I’m about to pull out my hair.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a pic of the stand and post measurements of the stand and the door?

I assume you also checked to see if you take door off the hinges wether it maybe could just barely squeak in.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a pic of the stand and post measurements of the stand and the door?

I assume you also checked to see if you take door off the hinges wether it maybe could just barely squeak in.

Yes. The doorframe is 29.5” and the base of the stand is 31”
The stand is welded solid
image.jpg

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a grinder? Id cut the legs mid way up and use smaller diameter tubing to put it back together. Fast and easy fix just make sure whatever you put in there is strong and snug so it dont move much

I don’t have a grinder but im sure I could rent one.
What kind of tubing? Like PVC or more metal?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're willing to build the stand yourself out of 2x4s, it should run you about $40-50 in lumber and screws and you should be able to knock it out in a couple hours. The only part that takes a bit more time/money is the skinning/finishing.

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More metal... all you would need is a grinder and a cut off wheel... slide the new metal inside the old metal making sure about 6 inches is sticking up so you can put the top piece back on literally 8 cuts 4 on the stand and 4 to cut the new metal down to about foot. Of your near a harbor freight you could by everything for less than a hundred bucks. It sounds way more complicated than it is.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, I don’t have any ideas. I like @naterealbig idea of checking with a welder.

Maybe they don’t need to do anything inside your house, but may create two pieces that lock together somehow once it’s inside.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you measured the opening of the door frame itself, or from each side of the door stop trim. But, just measured one of my door openings and if I were to remove the trim, I get about 30 ¼". Don't know if that would be enough clearance, but taking the trim off, reattaching, and a quick paint touch up, may be the quickest, cheapest and easiest way to go about it.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More metal... all you would need is a grinder and a cut off wheel... slide the new metal inside the old metal making sure about 6 inches is sticking up so you can put the top piece back on literally 8 cuts 4 on the stand and 4 to cut the new metal down to about foot. Of your near a harbor freight you could by everything for less than a hundred bucks. It sounds way more complicated than it is.

I’m loving this idea and I just saw Home Depot you can rent one for 4 hours for $25

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back