All Euphyllia looking bad

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does. And it’s a long battle with cyano Dino. You feed a lot you get cyano because now that you have increased the lower nutrient the system go out of whack. Bacteria consumes No3 and Po3 in a ratio what size tank is this ?
It’s a Red Sea 250. 2 year old live rock and new sand bed (2-3 months). Essence 130 skimmer. Had a bag of gfo, and took it out a few weeks ago when what looked like dinos showed up. Still can’t boost phosphate (all reef roids did was algae bloom and cyano)

Thinking I should dose a bit of phosphate?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Does it sound like dinos if I have been having 0 phosphates and consistently 5 nitrates? It’s reddish brown and I was sucking it up in clumps.

So I increased feeding and fed reef roids and reef energy, still 0 phosphates but now 12-15 nitrates and a small bloom. I blow it off the rocks and suck it out.

And it looks like dinos have stuck around.. still sucking those out too. Does any of this make sense? Salifert for phosphate test
I bottomed my numbers out some months back got cyano mixed with dinos it appeared. Started dosing neonitro and neophos. Double dose daily to get my numbers up. It took some months but the algae slowly died off and went away. I dose phytoplankton daily also. I keep nitrates close to 10 and phosphate. 07 to .12 now. I have very minimal GHA and now with stable parameters coraline has started covering the tank. Corals are thriving now

Filipabp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wording of "dirty water" around nitrates and phosphates is super misleading. When my tests kept coming back as 0, I thought of it as super clean water and not as no nutrients and negative for the corals.

Sorry for the bump, but would love to know how it all turned out? Im having a similar issue currently and can't seem to figure out the problem - my nutrients are normal now and Im also wondering if it could be the lightning.

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bump, but would love to know how it all turned out? Im having a similar issue currently and can't seem to figure out the problem - my nutrients are normal now and Im also wondering if it could be the lightning.
What issue are you currently having, an algae/cyano or the corals not looking good?

OP
OP
wiggitywade

wiggitywade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the torch but the frogspawn is recovering well! I'll have to upload some pictures.

I think my issue at the time was dealing with dynos and to help fight them I actually reduced water changes (which worked for that issue) but did not bode well for the corals. After I resumed weekly water changes AND increased my feeding to get my phosphates and nitrates up things quickly started to improve. I think it was a mixture of new tanks issues, like the dynos, and then a lack of nutrients from underfeeding to try and combat the algae/dynos.

As far as flow/lighting my Euphyllia is low/medium on both. Lower in the tank and to the sides and they seem to be happy. And much happier than they were lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back