All For Reef and salinity

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus Does All For Reef increase salinity over time? I have been keeping stable salinity around 32 ppt for the past months, since I started dosing AFR 2 weeks ago my salinity has started to slowly creep up as you can see on this chart:

1600966421939.png

I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 (65 Gals) and I am dosing 10 ml a day, keeping stable Alk around 8.5 Ca 420 and Mg 1360.My ATO is working properly and I double checked my RODI reservoir is 0 TDS and also used a Milwaukee refractometer and the values match my APEX.

Have any of you seen this before or maybe just a coincidence and there is another reason for the salinity to creep up?

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should only have a very small effect on salinity (primarily from the magnesium additive). I'd look elsewhere for the cause, including test error.

Is it the only thing you are adding?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should only have a very small effect on salinity (primarily from the magnesium additive). I'd look elsewhere for the cause, including test error.

Is it the only thing you are adding?

Yes is the only thing I am dosing or adding at the moment, I was dosing BRS alk before from a different container and using a different pump. But I stopped because my tank is consuming more Ca now and wanted to give a try to AFR.

I will retest and maybe recalibrate the Apex. I know it doesn’t make sense, will keep digging to find what's going on.

Thanks Randy

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes is the only thing I am dosing or adding at the moment, I was dosing BRS alk before from a different container and using a different pump. But I stopped because my tank is consuming more Ca now and wanted to give a try to AFR.

I will retest and maybe recalibrate the Apex. I know it doesn’t make sense, will keep digging to find what's going on.

Thanks Randy
This is from there site
With the optimal ratio of concentrations of these components, ALL-FOR-REEF an ideal environment with only one solution. No additional compounds are created (e.g. sodium chloride) that alter the salinity or the ion balance.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus Does All For Reef increase salinity over time? I have been keeping stable salinity around 32 ppt for the past months, since I started dosing AFR 2 weeks ago my salinity has started to slowly creep up as you can see on this chart:

1600966421939.png

I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 (65 Gals) and I am dosing 10 ml a day, keeping stable Alk around 8.5 Ca 420 and Mg 1360.My ATO is working properly and I double checked my RODI reservoir is 0 TDS and also used a Milwaukee refractometer and the values match my APEX.

Have any of you seen this before or maybe just a coincidence and there is another reason for the salinity to creep up?

Thanks!
I agree with what has been said above. The AFR should have very little influence on salinity, if any. Thanks Randy Holmes-Farley. I think looking elsewhere and checking on calibrations is a great suggestion.

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from there site
With the optimal ratio of concentrations of these components, ALL-FOR-REEF an ideal environment with only one solution. No additional compounds are created (e.g. sodium chloride) that alter the salinity or the ion balance.

Thanks for the note, I will try to investigate the issue...

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what has been said above. The AFR should have very little influence on salinity, if any. Thanks Randy Holmes-Farley. I think looking elsewhere and checking on calibrations is a great suggestion.

Thanks Lou, I know that it was along shot but was the only thing I changed. Let me look at the calibrations then try to find if there is anything else that may be causing this... This is really weird.

I will update the post with my findings.

And BTW @Lou Ekus ALL FOR REEF is an awesome product, I am looking forward for the powder one!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back