All Green Walt Disney Acro

Steve Ruddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone purchased a Walt Disney frag that arrived all green? If so has it developed any other colors?

I'll try and post a photo later but my macro lens is out for repair.

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone purchased a Walt Disney frag that arrived all green? If so has it developed any other colors?

I'll try and post a photo later but my macro lens is out for repair.
Mine was opposite. It came in with neon yellow polyps with yellow base and a baby blue tip. But when I started added iron for my ATS it turned all neon green. Moving it higher in the tank has brought back some yellow.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was kind of a maroon color, but I have heard a lot of people say they are green. I thought maybe I purchased an imposter but it colored up nicely. I just cut a couple tiny frags and they are almost gray in color with a little pale green mixed in.

Last November
wd tenuis 112916 by Big Jim, on Flickr

Last Month
wd tenuis 2 102517 by Big Jim, on Flickr

Frag
WD_1 by Big Jim, on Flickr

Peter K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good friend of mine received a 1/2" nub of Walt Disney and it was all green but after about 6-8 months in his tank the purple has started to appear. Our LFS also have a few frags in their display and they are also all green as well.

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a frag about 4 months ago and it has been green the whole time. I can tell it is starting to develop more color after i increase the PAR from 300 to 400. I decided to change the PAR because I read a few different people had their PAR above 400. Make sure to do this slowly, you don't want to bleach your WD!

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think this? Mine is getting blasted under cranked up 2 side by size hydra 52 HD and it's yellow green. I think the color is in combination with water chemistry.
Agreed. My LFS has a frag that turned all green. It’s back in the owners friends tank to get colored back up. The tank he put it back in runs lower end alk and has radions cranked way up. When it Greened out in the other tank it was under elevated t5 with alk around 9.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think the biggest factor with all acros is getting the right combination of light and nutrients. I wish there was a magic formula I could give you but I can just share my experience. Mine if getting 350 par with nitrate around 5 and phosphate around .02. I have a WWC Pink Panther right next to it that is only pink. I cut a frag of the Pink Panther and moved it to 250 par and it now has some green mixed in. Sometimes it is just trial and error, or dumb luck for me.

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was more brown out than anything. First day in the tank.
jkr_wd_052017.jpg

The piece above was split in half with a buddy and this is what mine looks like as of today.
jkr_wd_111517C.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda what they look like in real tanks. Purple tips and body that is covered by hairy green or sometimes brownish green polyps. If yours looks like the ones in the post above from Ibn, then that is what they are.

I do agree that if the tips and body are not purple, then they need a bit more light.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really think the biggest factor with all acros is getting the right combination of light and nutrients. I wish there was a magic formula I could give you but I can just share my experience. Mine if getting 350 par with nitrate around 5 and phosphate around .02. I have a WWC Pink Panther right next to it that is only pink. I cut a frag of the Pink Panther and moved it to 250 par and it now has some green mixed in. Sometimes it is just trial and error, or dumb luck for me.
The Walt Disney is just one of those acros that can dramatically alter its colors basically due to everything and anything. From what I've seen, if it's a dark shade of green, sorta purple tips, without a doubt not getting enuff light. Mine sits in like 450 par under t5s and I have yet to see any blue.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMG_20171115_145618.jpg
Here perfect example, i just took this photo. Recently had to break a colony away due to severely shading my forever encrusting wd. As its quite noticeable, the top portion is what was sitting in very little light. Note the coloration. @Steve Ruddy

Ace6090

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you able to get that much polyp extension? I can barely get any polyps to extend on my WD.

Back