All refugium or make dividers

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
My biocube 16 (sps dominated) have been running for a year or more now, it has had a lot of algae issues sinces it started. It crashed not long ago but it is recovering now, im thinking of making an extra sump for it, it is a 20 gallon. Should i use the space for a skimmer or should i make it fully a refugium (i would prefer this honestly since the sump is on display). The only fish i have in there is a mandarin since my larger tank crashed 2 years ago, it has been healthier in this nano actually because of the over abundance of copepods hiding in all the algae (thinking of moving him to the larger tank ive been setting up). Anyway, since the sump is bigger than the tank, would it benefit from being 100% refugium (If that make sense o_O) or should i just go for the protein skimmer? (Also i have a doser on it)

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do both if you have room, which will give you flexibility and possibly save you having to pull it out and modify.

You can go it either way, and I’m sure you will get a bunch of different opinions here, but I prefer either a skimmer or combination to just a refugium.

You can dial in a skimmer and then get the consistency that SPS require. Refugiums are more prone to swings in efficiency. My experience is that I would want a skimmer backing up the refugium for SPS.

I would not worry too much about it being on display. Skimmers always seem to draw interest and prompt visitors to ask questions about my tanks.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do both if you have room, which will give you flexibility and possibly save you having to pull it out and modify.

You can go it either way, and I’m sure you will get a bunch of different opinions here, but I prefer either a skimmer or combination to just a refugium.

You can dial in a skimmer and then get the consistency that SPS require. Refugiums are more prone to swings in efficiency. My experience is that I would want a skimmer backing up the refugium for SPS.

I would not worry too much about it being on display. Skimmers always seem to draw interest and prompt visitors to ask questions about my tanks.
Is it possible to add another tank that the fuge goes into that contains the skimmer, return, etc. and if so, what else should be in it?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand the question. I would only do a single sump for a 16 gallon tank, and not two if that is what you are asking.

If the space is tight, you could just do the refugium underneath and put the skimmer in one of the back AIO chambers....

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand the question. I would only do a single sump for a 16 gallon tank, and not two if that is what you are asking.

If the space is tight, you could just do the refugium underneath and put the skimmer in one of the back AIO chambers....
Well i have more vertical space, so i thought i could just use two small tanks connected to eachother but maybe thats too much for a 16 gallon. Ill go with the skimmer, or better, both. What small skimmer is actually usefull, if i will put it in the sump? Ive had the skimmer that came with the cube and that did not help with anything at all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 123 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back