Alveopora issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter barbianj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

barbianj

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2010
Messages
225
Reaction score
3
Location
Port Washington, WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a branching Alveopora for probably six months or so that has been growing very well. Full polyp extension every day. I haven't changed the lighting, flow or location of the coral. It started receding at the base a few days ago, and is slowly progressing upward.

I did start running GFO on 9/8, so I'd like to know if that could have something to do with it, or is this something that eventually happens with this coral. Also, is there any course of action I can take, or will it require fragging?

I didn't think of this until I was at work, so I don't have any pictures to post.
 
It is hard to say without pics. From what I know gonipora and alvepora can be tough to care for. Some people can keep them and some can not. From what I understand that they prefer systems that have excess nutrients. I believe polyp labs has a food called reefroids specifically designed for gonipora. It might be worth a shot. I would think that it is missing something, possibly some sort of nutrient. Since you have had it, has it grown any? The carbon you are using is removing organics and impurities from the water, so I guess it could be possible.

I assume that all other water perameters are in check, calcium, alkalinity, ph, phosphates and nitrates? If it was a much hardier coral it would be easier. Hopefully someone who has long term sucess will chime in.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new