Ambon scorpionfish.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I was looking into Ambon scorpions/pteroidichthys amboinensis a few years go and it seemed like the general consensus was they were too difficult to keep in captivity.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any advancements in the captive care of what I believe to be one of the most awesome looking fish ever.
Has anyone here at R2R attempted to keep one? Would love to hear some stories about them!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP

I want info on these beauties!!

ibluewater used to have them regularly, but they have have literally gone mia. You may try and contact them but a few of here have had no luck. I even bought from them before and talked to them about an order, then they just disappeared. Other than them, I've never seen them offered. You might check with your lfs to see if they are on the list of offered species from their distributor, also give them their scientific name, Pteroidichthys amboinensis.

What is your interest in them, when you call them "beauties", they do come in brown colored and usually stay a brown to greyish color. The red colored ones you see in pics, I've never seen in person. I find them fascinating and keep all sorts of scorps and lions. If your interest is similar to mine, I might be able to suggest some alternate more available species. Scorps are a different type of creature, it's not wise to want them based on looks.

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ibluewater used to have them regularly, but they have have literally gone mia. You may try and contact them but a few of here have had no luck. I even bought from them before and talked to them about an order, then they just disappeared. Other than them, I've never seen them offered. You might check with your lfs to see if they are on the list of offered species from their distributor, also give them their scientific name, Pteroidichthys amboinensis.

What is your interest in them, when you call them "beauties", they do come in brown colored and usually stay a brown to greyish color. The red colored ones you see in pics, I've never seen in person. I find them fascinating and keep all sorts of scorps and lions. If your interest is similar to mine, I might be able to suggest some alternate more available species. Scorps are a different type of creature, it's not wise to want them based on looks.
I would love a scorp to try out, predator reefs have always interested me, ambons and yellow spots were the ones that first caught my eye

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow spot is a good choice, while out of stock right now, this place has them in stock frequently; Yellowspotted Scorpionfish - Sebastapistes cyanostigma (thatpetplace.com)

The yellow spot is a good looking, fun fish. Scorps are tricky in the sense many of them will take to dead food easily, but care must be taken in their diet or they won't live long. You can find many feeding tips in some of my threads, and if you get one I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. This guy will usually settle around 3" in captivity, so just nothing say 2" or smaller, or it may become food. They are out and about often, mostly finding a perching spot on the rocks, like at the base of a coral, mostly visible but sedentary like all their type.

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow spot is a good choice, while out of stock right now, this place has them in stock frequently; Yellowspotted Scorpionfish - Sebastapistes cyanostigma (thatpetplace.com)

The yellow spot is a good looking, fun fish. Scorps are tricky in the sense many of them will take to dead food easily, but care must be taken in their diet or they won't live long. You can find many feeding tips in some of my threads, and if you get one I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. This guy will usually settle around 3" in captivity, so just nothing say 2" or smaller, or it may become food. They are out and about often, mostly finding a perching spot on the rocks, like at the base of a coral, mostly visible but sedentary like all their type.
How small of a fish would they eat, I may add them to my upgrade

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat fish about half their size, slender fish maybe even longer. So it's important to size fish appropriately. I feed my preds live food and they have eaten mollies more than 1/2 their size, with the tail sticking out until they could work the whole thing down. They also do well in pairs and groups.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back