Ammonia burn or something else?

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my other flameback for over a year and I was out of town for two weeks and decided to leave my flameback with a fish store which was a huge mistake. After I got it back a few days ago I noticed both sides of the gills are red. I was told it could be ammonia burn, but I’m not sure. He was like this when they have it to me in the bag, but he’s still eating/moving well. It’s been 4 days since I’ve gotten him back

Attachments

• IMG_4004.mp4
    576.7 KB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a chance this fish was exposed to high ammonia? Seems like the store should have known how to avoid issues like that. I do see the coloration change to both gill areas, but the fish looks really good in all other aspects. These Centropyge angels get tangled up in fish nets pretty easily - I wonder if the store mishandled it in a net?
I don't know of any marine fish diseases that cause dark gills like this...

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a chance this fish was exposed to high ammonia? Seems like the store should have known how to avoid issues like that. I do see the coloration change to both gill areas, but the fish looks really good in all other aspects. These Centropyge angels get tangled up in fish nets pretty easily - I wonder if the store mishandled it in a net?

Jay
The only thing I saw in the store when I picked it up is that it was with a big powder blue tang, the problem is the powder blue had white spots looked like ich all over it

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Also that store only captures the fish with a container, they don’t use a net so that’s what I really like, I’m just worried. Other than that it’s been about 4/5 days and he’s eating and moving well!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I saw in the store when I picked it up is that it was with a big powder blue tang, the problem is the powder blue had white spots looked like ich all over it
Ugh, that may show up as an issue in your fish in a few days....
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also that store only captures the fish with a container, they don’t use a net so that’s what I really like, I’m just worried. Other than that it’s been about 4/5 days and he’s eating and moving well!
O.k., well - I can’t explain the discoloration and of course, no subsequent treatment (I hate guessing or using shotgun treatments!). Can you just let me know if ANY symptoms change?
Jay

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.k., well - I can’t explain the discoloration and of course, no subsequent treatment (I hate guessing or using shotgun treatments!). Can you just let me know if ANY symptoms change?
Jay
Thank you for the help! Do you think it’s ok to put him in my display or wait longer?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help! Do you think it’s ok to put him in my display or wait longer?

I would definitely wait - my prime rule is never move a fish to a new tank that may have an unidentified disease.

Jay

Back