jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to do a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim’s nitrifying bacteria and ammonia. Unfortunately, like an idiot, I dosed 5x more ammonia than I should have. I’m using an API test kit and my ammonia readings have shown 8ppm (the max for the test kit) for days and I’m getting readings of 5ppm nitrites and 40 ppm nitrates. My ammonia has yet to go down even though my bacteria has broken down some ammonia and turned it into nitrites and nitrates. Could I have more than 8ppm ammonia? What should I do?

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's pretty high. I'd probably do a bit of a water change to lower things down but if it's reading nitrite and nitrate then you're processing so might not matter. I'm definitely no expert.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a large WC to drop ammonia and reduce nitrates. Cycle can stall going far above 4 ppm from what I have heard.

Also... not an emergency if its a fishless cycle. Use tag sparingly

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty high. I'd probably do a bit of a water change to lower things down but if it's reading nitrite and nitrate then you're processing so might not matter. I'm definitely no expert.
I’m dosing stability so hopefully it can get the job done. Thanks for the input

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes way to much Ammonia.
That can cause you problems and many false readings.
API test kits cant handle this.

What is the time frame we are talking about here?
When did you start this?
I would just do a 100% water change give it two three days and test.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a large WC to drop ammonia and reduce nitrates. Cycle can stall going far above 4 ppm from what I have heard.

Also... not an emergency if its a fishless cycle. Use tag sparingly
I was doing a fishless cycle and recently added a damselfish and it instantly spiked. Thanks for the input

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes way to much Ammonia.
That can cause you problems and many false readings.
API test kits cant handle this.

What is the time frame we are talking about here?
When did you start this?
I would just do a 100% water change give it two three days and test.
Will my bacteria colony survive the 100% water change and I’ve had the tank up for just over a week now.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is dormant bacteria and won't do much good immediately. If you have fish in the tank then do a large wc immediately. Powerheads and airstones can help with ammonia toxicity. Retest in 24 hours to make sure ammonia stays lower. API can show false positive (non-zero when it is zero) but 8 ppm can kill within an hour.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your damsel ok?

Your bacteria is not ready for fish with a ammonia level of 8. Adding Stability will change the ammonia and it will revert back after a few days.
Return the fish and do a 100% water change add another bottle of bacteria at the most.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your damsel ok?

Your bacteria is not ready for fish with a ammonia level of 8. Adding Stability will change the ammonia and it will revert back after a few days.
Return the fish and do a 100% water change add another bottle of bacteria at the most.
He seems to be doing just fine, he’s eating and swimming like normal. I know that damsels are extremely hardy but I didn’t know that they were this hardy. I think Ill have to just fork out some more money and do a complete water change, thank you

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Also...
Re-test now to make sure you didn't mess up the test (adding an extra drop or not a full 5 ml). I always re-test with a different kit before reacting to anything. Hope your damsel makes it!

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Also...
Re-test now to make sure you didn't mess up the test (adding an extra drop or not a full 5 ml). I always re-test with a different kit before reacting to anything. Hope your damsel makes it!
I tested twice and got the same readings, I think i’ll just take him to a friends tank to make sure he’s 100% safe even though he seems fine, thank you

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to do a bit more research on the Nitrogen cycle and ammonia.
Additives like Stability and Prime will alter the ammonia to help with a spike if something dies.
This is a band aid for a system that has a solid bacteria base. Not a new tank in cycle.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back