Anemone experts help please...

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two years ago my friend gave me my first green BTA. It grew great and eventually split and both splits grew pretty big and beautiful. About 6 months ago both splits split so now I had 4 of them. Two of them eventually settled under a cave rock I have and eventually wasted away and died. Two of them ventured into the tank and now 1 is in good shape although not nearly as large as the original and 1 took to hiding again. I flipped the rock it was on over so it was in the light again and it has started to recover somewhat, nice bubbles but whiteish. When I noticed things going south for the 2 under the cave, I found my nitrates were high (40) and my phosphate was around .009 based on a Hannah low range phosphorus tester. Had a massive invasion of GHA due to a auto feeder amount mistake. I have done water changes, cleaned my substrate, even took half of it out, added an external refugium with chaeto, have an ATS running and added bio pellets to a BRS dual reactor I already had to get these nutrients down.

My tank is a 120 DT with a homemade 55 gallon sump with 30 gallons in it at all times. I have 2 300 watt black box led lights, the light output hasn't been changed in almost 2 years. PH 8.0, Ammonia and Nitrite zero, Nitrate getting better (I will test again tonight), all other parameters are good. I have a 950 gph return pump and 3 powerheads. I added the powerheads to help get the water moving around and I think I started them too high and ticked the Nems off, since I have lowered the powerhead levels.

About 4 months ago I happened upon a deal on a Rose BTA I couldn't turn down so brought it home, quarantined it for 2 months and put in the DT. It is growing great and it split 2 weeks ago and both splits look great and healthy.

The nutrients are coming down based on my GHA retreat.

Could the tank be too clean now and the nems don't like it. I am concerned about my original green nem. The new Rose nems seem to be taking off great but the one green is pretty small and just seems delicate.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Troy.

P.S.

The last pic is the first green nem I got on the day I got it home. Second and third to last pic is after it split and grew (really loved the look of the two when they were long and thick). 3rd pic is when the 2 splits were wasting away and eventually died, 2nd pic is of green that was hiding and I turned rock over into the light again, seems to be recovering slowly. 1st pic is of one of my Rose nem that split, other split looks the same.

Nem Rose.jpg Nem 4.jpg Nem 3.jpg Nem 2.jpg Nem 1.jpg 1028192125.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the images your anemones look to be fairly healthy. They can be sensitive to lighting, flow, and parameter changes - so the fewer (smaller) changes you can make in the long run the happier they'll be. It's not uncommon for them to retreat into a crevice, cave (etc.) for a day or two because they're not happy about something (I have one right now that's wedged itself into a crevice just because there's a sea cucumber that took to feeding in its favorite spot, so it's refusing to come out under protest).

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I have 2 300 watt black box led lights, the light output hasn't been changed in almost 2 years.
THERE is your problem. You have way to much light, using similar lights I turned mine down to 10% B and 1% W in a 30 inch deep tank and now the nems are splitting and growing like weeds.

TURN THE LIGHTS WAY DOWN

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my water on Monday and my PH is 8.0, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, KH 6, calcium 400 and phosphate at 0.018 ppm or 6 ppb. These same green BTA thrived and were huge and now 2 of the splits hid until they died and one was on its way to doing the same if I hadn't turned the rock over and lowered the white lights a little. He still seems to not like being out in the light..... I will try and lower my blues and whites slowly over the next week or so and see if that helps. Don't want to lower them to low as I do like to see my fish and stuff LOL.

Thanks for all the input.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about quickly lowering lights. Cloudy days in nature common. Turn them way down now, and that way you can see if it's the issue or not

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back