Anemone QT setup?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not deflated for a few days. “Looks well”, no open mouth.
then you can try to feed, small amount at first and increase once he can tolerate food well.
good luck with him. BTA should recover pretty well

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not deflated for a few days. “Looks well”, no open mouth.
then you can try to feed, small amount at first and increase once he can tolerate food well.
good luck with him. BTA should recover pretty well

ok thank you.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Any update with your nem? I’m going to start cipro treatment on my bta tmrw using a 5G tank with 3G of water and about 65mg of cipro. I don’t have much hope for him since he is very bleached out and not eating

20123CEC-4F6F-4D2B-BAD6-39BEC2FB0C28.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update with your nem? I’m going to start cipro treatment on my bta tmrw using a 5G tank with 3G of water and about 65mg of cipro. I don’t have much hope for him since he is very bleached out and not eating

Not really. I’m kind of at a loss really. Put him back in the DT in the acclimation box and was the same for days. Open and seem ok with tentacle very very short, mouth seemed ok but then yesterday almost started seeing through foot again with mouth very wide. Then seems like mouth closed up and fleshy look and then hours later back to looking ok. Couple pics of it same day in different states and then my rainbow bta perfectly fine and clowns loving it. I have a couple mushrooms, some zoas all doing great. Along with 7 rock flower nems. This is the only thing showing distress. I went through almost 100g of salt last treatment. Just not sure what to do now

289D1D75-B435-4688-B1F9-C9963497E254.jpeg D3B08F3D-A46F-4DF0-96A1-AC4ED05065B4.jpeg 6EED38EF-87CE-4998-8F23-F94622E82204.jpeg

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I’m guessing the RFA are having some affect on it. I’ve heard some bad stories about mixing nems. A lot of people do it just fine, and some have no success. For whatever reason I am not sure.

You went through 100g of salt during the last treatment? That’s crazy! Why not dose in smaller amount of water? I’ve seen some guys do cipro treatments in Tupperware and 1G tanks with success. You just need to calculate the correct amount of cipro for the amount of water you are treating.

I plan to start treating my bta in a 5g tank with 3g of water. I calculate I will need approximately 65mg of cipro per water change.

If treating it didn’t work, I would probably see if someone else with a established tank and no nems can house it and hopefully recover it for you.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bacc2bacc hmm, that’s good info on the RFA being possible issue. First time I’ve heard about it. Well, I don’t want to give the nem to someone and risk their tank being nuked if that’s a thing. I have the 10g tanks for QT. I have a seeded sponge in my sump. So I’ll set one of them up without medication and see what happens. If it comes back fine then I’d agree with the RFA issue and then I’ll have some RFA’s to rehome.

since I’m in process of plumbing my 120, I can probably grab one or two Talbot damsels and put them in the QT tank with the nem to monitor until ready for big tank.

and yeah. At least went through 80g of salt before. It was a first time. So I learned something and future if needed I’ll do smaller water volume.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry too much about the rfas. I have probably 50 in my nem tank and they dont effect anything.
Sometimes no matter what we cant save them...gbtas seem to give me a hard time.

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt worry too much about the rfas. I have probably 50 in my nem tank and they dont effect anything.
Sometimes no matter what we cant save them...gbtas seem to give me a hard time.

I never would have thought I’d have an issue. Everyone says btas are one of the easiest to deal with and take care of. Just accept that they move.

still gonna move it and just see what happens in the smaller tank by itself.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
@bacc2bacc hmm, that’s good info on the RFA being possible issue. First time I’ve heard about it. Well, I don’t want to give the nem to someone and risk their tank being nuked if that’s a thing. I have the 10g tanks for QT. I have a seeded sponge in my sump. So I’ll set one of them up without medication and see what happens. If it comes back fine then I’d agree with the RFA issue and then I’ll have some RFA’s to rehome.

since I’m in process of plumbing my 120, I can probably grab one or two Talbot damsels and put them in the QT tank with the nem to monitor until ready for big tank.

and yeah. At least went through 80g of salt before. It was a first time. So I learned something and future if needed I’ll do smaller water volume.

nems indeed are very strange creatures. sometimes I think when theyre going downhill, not much can save them. I've seen lots of people have good luck with cipro, and some others not so much, they treat the nem like you did and the nem just keep declining in health. If i cipro mines and its not doing well, ill probably throw it in another tank possibly with other btas and see if it survives. mine being a high end nem, you arent suppose to mix them with any other nems including RFA's. but its a last resort situation for me. if you decide to house the nem in a different tank, just put it in a acclimation box, any signs of it melting away and deteriorating, it would be easy to pull out and dispose of if needed.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
if youre on facebook, theres a sunburst group page where lots of people talk and share expierences, even more so than here. lots of traffic compared to here actually. sometimes these threads that get posted doesn't get answers for months. on fb, you get an reply usually within 10 mins.

i am not sure how it works with rbta, and lower end nems mixing with others inlucding RFA. but higher end nems like CSB, inferno, supernova, ect, should not be mixed without high caution. some have mixed them with success, alot of others have tried and failed. I on the other hand will not risk mixing a colorado sunburst, I dont have balls of steel and deep pockets lol

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bacc2bacc can you message me the FB group name please? I think mine is higher end but not sure or how “high end” it may be. I know it was $175. I’ll ask the place I bought it from.

here is what it looked like the day it arrived. Gorgeous.

77C6D1CA-54CB-4401-ADC9-451197D2B4B9.jpeg

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
@bacc2bacc can you message me the FB group name please? I think mine is higher end but not sure or how “high end” it may be. I know it was $175. I’ll ask the place I bought it from.

here is what it looked like the day it arrived. Gorgeous.

77C6D1CA-54CB-4401-ADC9-451197D2B4B9.jpeg
just search up sunburst anemone society and it should come up. alot of the well known nem guys like Ty Ta and sang lee are active in there. I don't think your nem would be considered as "high end", although it is beautiful, these high end nems i speak of are nems like og colorado sunburst, CC inferno, CC supernova, Reefwise lemondrop, chicago sunburst, ect. all these nems have a price tag of close to $1K+, the chicago being the cheapest around $500+.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sunburst, blackwidow, sherman, cornbread tangerine, numerous rainbows and lots of rfas. I run activated carbon and have no issues.
That being said i wouldnt pay 1200 for one and risk putting it in there. ...lol

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine didn’t make it. Not sure what the issue is but didn’t make it. Everything else is thriving. Really bummed.

bacc2bacc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Well mine didn’t make it. Not sure what the issue is but didn’t make it. Everything else is thriving. Really bummed.
Sorry to hear man, I’m going through a similar situation with my cc inferno here. Day 7 of cipro starts tonight and still no improvements. I’m thinking of throwing it into another tank to see if it can bounce back there

OP
OP
J

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear man, I’m going through a similar situation with my cc inferno here. Day 7 of cipro starts tonight and still no improvements. I’m thinking of throwing it into another tank to see if it can bounce back there

good luck. I hope he recovers

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back