Anemone split and now won't open up

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a HUGE mistake. I am kicking myself for this. I hope this doesn't comeback to bite me.

I have had this tank running for almost 2 years. Back in January I got this beautiful RBTA from a local reefer. Lately due to work and life I have neglected this tank more then I am willing to admit. But things are turning around slowly. As you can see from the picture, the Nem looked perfect with beautiful bubbles. It settled in quick, everything was fine.

Then I found Aptesia in the tank. And like everyone else, I wanted them out of my tank. It is then that I messed up. I had an extreme tunnel vision and ended up getting 3 peppermint shrimp. These shrimps ate the smaller Aptesia and leaving the bigger ones for me (I ended up using kalk paste to kill em). But then one night they harassed the crap out of my nem (by then the nem has been in my tank for 2 months.) I guess the nem got stressed out and it split into 2 tiny little baby nems. Ever since it split, I have caught all 3 peppermint shrimps and sent them to my fuge. But the damage was done. My nem never looked like it's old self. The new nems moved all over the tank, but never fully opened. The nems just have few tentacle sticking out at any given time. I haven't tried to feed the Nems. I am worried they are both slowly dying away. I would hate for that to happen. I haven't seen either of their mouth in a month or so.

While all this was going on, my skimmer died and I had lost all chaeto due to vibrant dosing. So I was/am battling Cyano, which is going away slowly. I think week or two and they will be gone.

My tank params as of last Friday:

It's a 2 year old tank so I don't test for Ammonia or Nitrite, that being said
NO3: 0ppm
PO4: haven't tested (need to order hanna reagent)
Alk: 9 dkh
Cal: 430 ppm
Mg: 1400
pH: 7.8 ~ 8.0 (I need to fix this fluctuation)

Tank Light: SBReefLight 32" -
Moonlight 12pm - 11pm,
Blues 1pm-10pm,
White (I think): 3ish (or4pm) - 9pm

My question is, are my nems going to die? How can I make sure they open up? 1 is semi-hiding under a rock for about 2-3 weeks, the other is out in the open. The one out in the open is 90% closed and won't open. The one hiding under a rock is 80% open. Neither of them look like what they used to. Anything I can do to help these nem improve?

upload_2018-4-19_12-41-15.png
upload_2018-4-19_12-41-37.png
upload_2018-4-19_12-41-54.png

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No vibrant dosing ended in December. I do dose MB7 when I remember. So no set schedule.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you finding any Cyano on or directly around the nems themselves?

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you finding any Cyano on or directly around the nems themselves?
I'll check when I get home tonight. But if I remember correctly, one of them, I know for a fact has no cyano on or near them. The other one might have some near it. Maybe I should take a turkey baster and gently blow near the Nem?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been my experience that if you get any kind of algaes constantly rubbing up against the nems, they tend to get really peeved.

Not saying this is your whole problem, but it could be a good place to start.

OP
OP
rockstarta78

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after checking on algae, there's no algae on them and nothing close by touching them either. Just to make sure I took a toothbrush and brushed around their area.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 53 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back