Anemone Tentacle loss

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my anemone with in the last week it has started losing tentacles and not looking good. All the Parameters Are in range some a little very little below don’t know what to do. Eats and then spits waste out and won’t look good. I have had him under Ai hydra 26s for almost a month and a half and these problems started. Please help ? The last pictures are of the light schedule. They are off of Dan the reefers SPS , LPS coral light schedule.

53A62BB1-F2DF-4F2D-81C3-9256C68B408A.jpeg 2FF88B90-325F-41DE-A524-86ED9D0A482D.jpeg 0A7F23B4-A8DA-448B-A9DE-A4D1E3943B8E.jpeg 88D7EAE4-0451-4429-B4B5-A3232330B328.jpeg 887495C3-A8E5-477A-8E26-9747E47C5B95.jpeg 80AD6459-B11E-4FC5-A3D0-31C6FE92159A.jpeg 207545CC-7B57-44FA-ADC8-D52BE49FB960.png 6A77B8D2-1D3C-4977-B890-02B26349CF94.png

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like something is eating it. What live stock/inverts are in the tank?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your tank size and age?

Nems are sensitive and need an established tank. And it looks like you have a few fish...what's the live stock like and how many for how long?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrinking and missing tentacles usually means the nem is starving and consuming itself to stay alive.
Can you tell us your exact parameters? How long the tanks been running? How far off the waters surface are your lights?

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a powder brown tang coral beauty and a orange shoulder tang have two cleaner shrimp. The tank has been set up for about two years. Recently I removed a bunch of sand and put new sand. It was set up for two years with no fish no livestock no nothing just running for two years and being topped off to here within the last six months I’ve added new sand new lights new refute GM light Cheato and a few fish

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to LFS in my town and they tested my water also and we were all about the same. Just ordered some B ionic two part

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like something is eating it. What live stock/inverts are in the tank?
That’s what I thought but nothing ever seems to be messing with it. Other than shrimp trying to pull the food out of its mouth sometimes

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
images.png

More tank information will be extremely helpful

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought but nothing ever seems to be messing with it. Other than shrimp trying to pull the food out of its mouth sometimes
It seems your ALK and CAL is a little low, shouldn't impact it much. If possible, do a water change, at least 25%, and wait 24 hours. Sometimes nems can be weird, one of mine shrivels up at least 4 times a day or more and my other one shirvels maybe twice at most. Another issue could be the shrimp bothering it when taking the food, I would see if it will accept silversides no bigger than it's mouth. If it does, then it will take awhile to consume it, but will be a good sign.
Bad things to look out for: if it is no longer attached to anything, then it's on its way out and doesn't have the strength to hold itself up. In that case, don't hesitate to remove it, because it could potentially kill your entire tank.

Sorry it took me awhile to respond, bit of a family emergency happened. All's good now! :)

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems your ALK and CAL is a little low, shouldn't impact it much. If possible, do a water change, at least 25%, and wait 24 hours. Sometimes nems can be weird, one of mine shrivels up at least 4 times a day or more and my other one shirvels maybe twice at most. Another issue could be the shrimp bothering it when taking the food, I would see if it will accept silversides no bigger than it's mouth. If it does, then it will take awhile to consume it, but will be a good sign.
Bad things to look out for: if it is no longer attached to anything, then it's on its way out and doesn't have the strength to hold itself up. In that case, don't hesitate to remove it, because it could potentially kill your entire tank.

Sorry it took me awhile to respond, bit of a family emergency happened. All's good now! :)
Thanks for the response I’m gonna do a water change tomorrow. Also it’s a 75 gallon 30 gallon sump didn’t add that info. Get my B Ionic two part calcium buffer Friday. Just do t understand why it’s losing tentacles? Also it is still attached. I fed it Byrne shrimp and some reef roids mixed together and it took it and the spot the waste put about 8 hours later

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response I’m gonna do a water change tomorrow. Also it’s a 75 gallon 30 gallon sump didn’t add that info. Get my B Ionic two part calcium buffer Friday. Just do t understand why it’s losing tentacles? Also it is still attached. I fed it Byrne shrimp and some reef roids mixed together and it took it and the spot the waste put about 8 hours later
Hmm, I know mine "looks" like it's losing its tentacles sometimes, but really it's just expelling its waste. Something must be messing with it to cause it to lose its tentacles. That's the only thing I can think of. You may want to devote a little time to just keep an eye on the tank and observe what's going on. You may be able to determine what's causing it and how to fix it.

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I can literally see pieces of tentacles below it in the sand or on the rock and then the other day I was blowing the rocks off and a piece of Tentacle floated up from under the rock and was floating around in the water

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not feed silversides...too hard to digest. I would suggest cipro.

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Cipro what would it do if I didn’t do it in a qt tank? I’m worried about getting The anemone off of the Rocks it’s attached to and stressing him out more

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id move the whole rock if u can...cipro requires a 100 % wc between treatments so its not feasible to do in a large tank.

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day I had ordered some copepods and they came wrapped in that silver reflective stuff that they use for like car windows or inside of bags that you take to go get groceries and stuff to keep the cold in I had stuck those behind my sump well a piece of it have fallen in in the back of the sump or I couldn’t see it and a couple days ago I noticed it and pulled it out and just kind of threw it on the side of my sump in the bottom of my stand well today I got to thinking about it got home from work pulled that piece of reflect it out And all of the silver is gone where it was in the water. Just got water ready to do a water change hopefully it’ll start doing better with a water change also decreased my light schedule by an hour

OP
OP
Vansaquaescape

Vansaquaescape

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have poly filter but I have a filter pad similar that I’m running that’s blue and white

E1BD8AD7-2A1D-40D1-8A33-034C1A74EAC5.jpeg image.jpg

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run activated carbon? If not I would suggest it. It will get all the toxins out that the insulation might have leached into the tank. Another question. How did you keep the cycle going for 2 years with no live stock?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back