Angelwolf's reef

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here goes:

I have had my current tank up and running for about 6 years now. It's been through several moves (not all with me), but it's proven to be a great tank! It's a 90g drilled glass tank with a corner overflow and sump (20-30g, I think) below, inside the stand. This tank is my 2nd trip through the saltwater world.

While I was younger and still living with my parents, I had a 55g freshwater tank for many years in my bedroom. At some point, I decided to convert it to a FOWLR tank. That tank was going well for being a makeshift pieced-together project. It had 2 hob filters, built for a 60g tank, each. So i had a lot of filtration and circulation in the system. I had plain-jane stock lights in the hood. Things were going well. A few years later, I moved out of my parents' house and brought that tank with me.

Fast forward to living alone in my apartment, and I still had the same tank. At some point, I got a T5 fixture and a protein skimmer. Then, the algae happened! I grew completely disgusted with the tank, because I would LITERALLY clean the glass before work, and 8 hrs later, upon returning home, it would be so green you couldn't see the fish inside anymore! At that point, I had a copperband butterfly, lunar wrasse, a snowflake eel, and a green wolf eel for quite some time. And along with the algae on the glass, I was growing quite the crop of brown (what I now believe to be) turf algae. I was so disgusted that I finally shut down the entire system.

Fast forward again to a new house, same tank, and it sat empty for the entire time I lived there. By the time it was time to move again, the tank had sat empty for 4 years and I had a 2 month old infant, I took that tank and everything in it to the curb. I truly was sad to see it go, but it was taking up space and hadn't been used for so lon, I figured all the equipment was shot anyway. It truly broke my heart when I heard the glass breaking as the trash truck took it away.

Fast forward again, to a year later and a new house. My little one was a little over a year old. I had some friends at a LFS who I could trust, and they had a full setup on their sales floor. It was a used system and was traded in for a larger tank. I talked my fiancé into letting me spend $1500 for the entire setup. Tank, T5 fixture, glass canopy, a couple fish (one of which I still have today!), Substrate, live rock, sump, and return pump, all of the water, AND delivery and installation!

So, this is the tank I currently own. It's been through many types of fish over the years, including some reef safe, and some not, as well as a pair of seahorses. After being up and running for 4 years at that house, it was time to move, AGAIN!

Fast forward (last time, I promise!) to our current home, which we own, and now my daughter is 7. We have lived here for 2 years, now, and my tank is doing great!! Since we moved in here, I started venturing into some corals. While I still have a lot of learning to do, I have been pretty successful with soft corals and polyps. LPS and SPS don't seem to like my tank, or possibly the softies in it, and quickly die off. So for now, I'm sticking with the soft corals. I like the way they move in the current, anyway.

The tank is a little sparse right now, but with COVID-19, and the price hikes, it's been hard to find any livestock.

OP
OP
Angelwolf21203

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good, no algea infestation you wrote about in the 55g
Bigfoot eh? Lol
I recently won the war with GHA. I'll attach a picture.
Yes, I am a big believer in bigfoot!
IMG_20200324_124250.jpg

OP
OP
Angelwolf21203

Angelwolf21203

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was pretty gnarly
Yes. Yes it was! That too 2 days of work. I pulled every rock out of the tank, did a massive water change (almost killed all of my fish by leaving them in a bucket for too long) and spent the rest of the time picking off the algae and spraying the rocks with H2O2. I do have a couple of tufts of it coming in again, but I can pluck them off easily. Now, I know to pluck it when it's small!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back