Another Fish Aggression Post

stan13ag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I noticed a small strange mark on my one spot fox face that I have been keeping an eye on ( I tried to get a picture for 15 minutes and can't). Since then, a 2nd and 3rd mark has appeared, which appear to be bite marks or scratch marks. I haven't added a new fish in almost 2 years and I think my clownfish is the culprit. I'm attached to all my fish, and I've had the same basic occy clown for almost 9 years, with this one spot foxface for 2 years. The foxface is a very passive fish afraid of his own shadow and my clownfish thinks he owns the entire 90 gallon.

Entire stocklist in 90-
1 occy clown (9 years old)
1 one spot foxface(2 years)
1 bicolor blenny (3 years)
1 flame angel (2 years last fish added)
1 scarlet pinstripe wrasse (5 years)
1 Springer's damsel - 4 years
2 BTA

These marks seem to be body shots, with no nipped fins. Should I just continue to feed the foxface well and keep an eye on aggression? The clown will literally swim 3 feet just to bite me if I put my hand in the tank. I need the foxface for macro algae control, but I can't get rid of the clown.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible - but as you know, harder to be sure without photos.

You could try a mirror in the clown's favorite corner, as a distraction. #Reefsquad, any other thoughts?

~Bruce

OP
OP
stan13ag

stan13ag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got one... unfortunately without a filter, so the blue+ is strongly washing him out.
cdca21d7529c2665b7ec519ab9031058.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those could be bites - assuming we're talking about the small pale mark between his black spot and the top of his gill plate. Try to divert the clown's attention - if not with a mirror, perhaps a time-out in the sump. Biting foxfaces is not good for the foxface, but neither is it good for the biter, who may someday meet a fin-spine . . . !

~Bruce

Back