Another Newbie

Swim_Shady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gang,

Owning a reef tank has always been a dream for me. I have kept African cichlids on and off for several years but never made the jump to salt. The added costs and a considerable fear of the unknown, combined with the fact that I likely placed too much stock in the theories that "saltwater tanks are WAY harder than fresh" kept me from taking the chance.

My wife and I are now empty-nesters and, finally, fairly comfortable financially. We decided that (in our early fifties) life is just too short not to aim for our dreams. She is completely in favor of adding a reef tank to our home. Since we made the decision (recent), I have spent time haunting forums (mainly R2R). The approachable and helpful members and admins here led me to register.

I look forward to soaking up all the knowledge I can here and hope my newbie questions don't become tiring. ;Wacky

We have been looking at package builds and are seriously considering the Red Sea Reefer 425XL as our starting point. We will be going with synthetic dry rock to avoid the headaches that "pests" can bring. I can hardly wait to "get wet".

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

welcome captain GIF

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gang,

Owning a reef tank has always been a dream for me. I have kept African cichlids on and off for several years but never made the jump to salt. The added costs and a considerable fear of the unknown, combined with the fact that I likely placed too much stock in the theories that "saltwater tanks are WAY harder than fresh" kept me from taking the chance.

My wife and I are now empty-nesters and, finally, fairly comfortable financially. We decided that (in our early fifties) life is just too short not to aim for our dreams. She is completely in favor of adding a reef tank to our home. Since we made the decision (recent), I have spent time haunting forums (mainly R2R). The approachable and helpful members and admins here led me to register.

I look forward to soaking up all the knowledge I can here and hope my newbie questions don't become tiring. ;Wacky

We have been looking at package builds and are seriously considering the Red Sea Reefer 425XL as our starting point. We will be going with synthetic dry rock to avoid the headaches that "pests" can bring. I can hardly wait to "get wet".

Hello and welcome to the channel.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back