Another Skimmer Thread: Akula or Reef Octo Elite

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the particulars:

My tank is a 150G with approx sump volume of ~25G.
1 Black Spot Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
4 Lyretail Anthias
4 Springerii Damselfish
3 Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish

2 (possibly 3) anemone

Boat load of snails

I currently have a Nyos Quantum160 in sump, however, I cannot get it dialed and it’s overflowed three times causing the skimmate locker to blow a seal (not the issue at hand, I fixed that problem). The skimmer doesn’t seem to be reliable for me, so I’m looking to change.

My two choices are: Reef Octopus Elite 200-INT or Ultra Reef Akula-UKS 200z.

I am interested in hearing feedback (good or bad) on both options …. Or if there’s one I’m missing in that range.

The plan is to have a mixed reef (LPS/SPS/Anemone/zoa) and add in 5-6 Wrasse’s.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the particulars:

My tank is a 150G with approx sump volume of ~25G.
1 Black Spot Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
4 Lyretail Anthias
4 Springerii Damselfish
3 Clownfish
1 Longnose Hawkfish

2 (possibly 3) anemone

Boat load of snails

I currently have a Nyos Quantum160 in sump, however, I cannot get it dialed and it’s overflowed three times causing the skimmate locker to blow a seal (not the issue at hand, I fixed that problem). The skimmer doesn’t seem to be reliable for me, so I’m looking to change.

My two choices are: Reef Octopus Elite 200-INT or Ultra Reef Akula-UKS 200z.

I am interested in hearing feedback (good or bad) on both options …. Or if there’s one I’m missing in that range.

The plan is to have a mixed reef (LPS/SPS/Anemone/zoa) and add in 5-6 Wrasse’s.
I have reef octo 150 elite. Love the dc pump (quiet), varios, variable speed.
Simple to dial in.
The akula has a sicce ac pump.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The external pump is something worth considering for sure. I have had to “service” the pump on the NYOS twice now and it hasn’t been extremely painful but it has been dirty. Good point and one I’ll definitely keep in mind! Thanks!

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ultra reef skimmers are overbuilt. The quality is top notch. You will get years of quality service from it. If you see one in person you will understand what I mean.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a big fan of external pumps. I would consider an octopus regal INT. It is not just about servicing the pump. If the pump is ever discontinued then with an internal pump skimmer once your pump breaks you are out of luck. The whole skimmer body is built around that pump so once the pump is gone your skimmer is junk. If the pump is external you just use the union to put another pump onto the body.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone see any benefit to the design of the RO Regal vs RO Elite? The Regal claims to have hybrid body, it looks segmented to me, and the Elite is a wine bottle shape. Is one better than the other in performance and longevity?

Christian0505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone see any benefit to the design of the RO Regal vs RO Elite? The Regal claims to have hybrid body, it looks segmented to me, and the Elite is a wine bottle shape. Is one better than the other in performance and longevity?

They use the same pump, so I don’t expect any difference in longevity. I own a regal 150 int on my waterbox peninsula 3620 and I am extremely happy with it. I didn’t see any extra benefits in getting the elite, but maybe I missed something.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference between the elite and the regal INT is the Elite uses an open volute internal pump. This is actually a really cool and innovative design because it allows a great deal more reaction chamber volume with the pump still being internal. With a normal closed volute and the internal pump, the bubble plate where the bubbles exit and can start reacting is much higher up in the skimmer body than with an open volute design. This means that the elite open volute does perform better than other space-saving internal pump skimmers. However, with an external pump, you can further increase the reaction chamber area because the bubble plate does not need to sit on top of the pump. You also have easier maintenance and the ability to switch pumps in the future.

I would never buy a space-saving skimmer unless I had to. There is no such thing as a free lunch and the space-saving design has trade-offs that I want to avoid if possible.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, one thing I noticed is the recommended size of aquariums varies:

Elite 150-INT 6"​

BRS Recommended for tanks up to:
  • Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 75 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 125 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 180 Gallons

Regal 150INT 6"​

BRS Recommended for tanks up to:
  • Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 100 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 150 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 210 gallons
I wonder if any of that has to do with skimmer body design - pump for both is the Varios S-2; aside from that difference lie in body design and a twist off collection cup versus press fit.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main difference between the elite and the regal INT is the Elite uses an open volute internal pump. This is actually a really cool and innovative design because it allows a great deal more reaction chamber volume with the pump still being internal. With a normal closed volute and the internal pump, the bubble plate where the bubbles exit and can start reacting is much higher up in the skimmer body than with an open volute design. This means that the elite open volute does perform better than other space-saving internal pump skimmers. However, with an external pump, you can further increase the reaction chamber area because the bubble plate does not need to sit on top of the pump. You also have easier maintenance and the ability to switch pumps in the future.

I would never buy a space-saving skimmer unless I had to. There is no such thing as a free lunch and the space-saving design has trade-offs that I want to avoid if possible.
I've ruled out the internal pump design based on feedback from others and scanning previous threads, I like the idea of easier maintenance and maximizing reaction chamber time. Thank you for the great feedback on the volute design, these are all things that I am a fan of learning. :)

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both of the skimmers you are suggesting more than the nyos but I am concerned that you are having problems with the nyos. Could there be something else going on? The nyos 160 is pretty well regarded as a solid skimmer.

OP
OP
BrokenReefer

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like both of the skimmers you are suggesting more than the nyos but I am concerned that you are having problems with the nyos. Could there be something else going on? The nyos 160 is pretty well regarded as a solid skimmer.
Perhaps, I did have a heck of a time getting the water height dialed in. Seems like it’ll run really dry and then beyond wet, which causes the skimmate locker to fill/overflow. I do not ascribe 100% to the equipment which is why I’m going to keep it as back-up. I do believe a portion is me and the general bio load of the tank.

This is all a learning experience still, I am very open to listening to things I can improve upon.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps, I did have a heck of a time getting the water height dialed in. Seems like it’ll run really dry and then beyond wet, which causes the skimmate locker to fill/overflow. I do not ascribe 100% to the equipment which is why I’m going to keep it as back-up. I do believe a portion is me and the general bio load of the tank.

This is all a learning experience still, I am very open to listening to things I can improve upon.
Do you use anything that makes the skimmer go crazy? Meds, media, certain foods, new filter socks?

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both are quality brands. I have an Ultra Reef and personally would never look back. I've been reefing a long time and over the years had various skimmers. Had a Bubble King on a large SPS system years ago. The Ultral Reef I have now is the best built skimmer I have ever owned (DC Version). The best part is it was easy to dial in and it's rock solid, skims all the time. It releases very few micro bubbles and the chamber looks like a solid block of white styrofoam when it's running.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the RO 200 will be over kill for your tank, I would get the 150 model.

I have a 120 DT with 5 large fish, size of my hand.
I put in my RO Regal 200 skimmer in there to see how it would perform.
I barely got one finger width of skim mate in that giant cup.
I finally pulled it and put my Simplicity DC 240 I was dumping a full cup every 8 hours for weeks.

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultra reef is a far more superior skimmer but the model you have chosen is way more than you need to be honest with your current bio load. I have a akula 180 on a 80 gallon and it’s just to much skimmer. Don’t make the same mistake I did make sure you purchase the appropriate size skimmer off how many inches of fish you have not water volume

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back