Another Tang for my 180g

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get another tang for my 180g reef

34582270763_93e3a2f67a_k.jpg

I had three previously, Large Dejardini Sailfin, Medium Yellow Eye Kole and Medium Blonde Naso.

One day the Naso didnt look too good. Saw the Sailfin bullying it, so moved it to my hospital tank, but it didnt make it.

Looking to get another tang, if that seems logical. I like large fish and have a large tank. I like the combo of tangs, plus wrasses, dwarf angels, and smaller fish like chromis, gobies, etc.

Current Livestock:
Dejardini Sailfin
Yellow Eye Kole
Flame Angel
Leopard Wrasse
Checkerboard Wrasse
Blue Chromis x 2
Black and White Ocellaris Clowns x 2
Watchman Goby

I had the Blonde Naso for about 3 months before the sailfin turned on it. No signs of illness, injury or disease before that. My tank does not have alot of hiding places, so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I'm not looking to get any ich-prone tangs (PBT, Hippo, Achillies, etc). I've heard Orange Shoulder tangs are easy to keep and will be different genus than my zebrosoma and Ctenochaetus. Anyone have experience with this tang? Any other suggestions?

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the scoop! They are easier than most Acanthurus but they are an Acanthurus which loosely translates to ich magnet LOL. Do you have a QT setup? IME olivaceous is one of the more peaceful of the genus, large enough to stand up to your sailfin and fast enough to run away if need be. I think you made a good choice with this one. Most of the others I would suggest are much more expensive except for the mata.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not larger than the desjardini, then it doesn't really matter. If the desjardini 'crossed' genera to cause problems with the Naso, it will do the same for an Acanthurus.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not larger than the desjardini, then it doesn't really matter. If the desjardini 'crossed' genera to cause problems with the Naso, it will do the same for an Acanthurus.
Agree entirely. Your sailfin will be an issue with any new addition. Orange shoulder are much hardier than their acanthurus cousins, but any tang can bring ich and velvet to your tank and likely will, these days.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wonder why the yellow Eye Kole hasnt been abused by the sailfin. It is much smaller, it must just not pay attention to it or consider it a threat. I might just go with a foxface instead, although another tang would look great in my 180. I wonder if it is because I dont feed seaweed everyday during the week because I dont get home until the lights are out? My wife feeds frozen, but I only do seaweed Thurs, Sat and Sun mostly

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wonder why the yellow Eye Kole hasnt been abused by the sailfin. It is much smaller, it must just not pay attention to it or consider it a threat. I might just go with a foxface instead, although another tang would look great in my 180. I wonder if it is because I dont feed seaweed everyday during the week because I dont get home until the lights are out? My wife feeds frozen, but I only do seaweed Thurs, Sat and Sun mostly

Same thing happened with my tangs, I have a sailfin, had a blue eye kole and a pbt, the put was bullied to death by my sailfin but the bek was treated just fine till it randomly jumped[emoji24][emoji24]

M007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a clown tang.

I guess this post was referring to the aggressive nature of the clown tang? Suppose to be funny I guess. Your Naso should have been able to defend itself against the sail fin so he must have been sick. If your sail fin is picking on your other tangs you need to sort that out first. Any new comer will be at a disadvantage going in and may not fair to well unless larger and in good health. Odd the sail fin is so aggressive, shortage of food perhaps? In any case clown tangs can be a challenge to get eating so if you decide to get an aggressive tang to bully back your sail fin go with a Sohal.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown tang with the sailfin about 3 years ago in my old 120. Too small for it I know, I got rid of it when I moved but don't think the sailfin messed with it. I think it messed with foxface. Is 180 with limited live rock big enough for clown/sohal tang? How often should I feed seaweed? Every day?

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also not sure Naso wasn't sick or injured before I saw sailfin bulky it. Couldve been just capitalizing on its weakened state

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having aggression issues already, I would strongly advise against a clown or sohal, 2 species known for their high aggression.

The kole may be fine because it is not viewed as a challenger and they were together before the aggression switch flipped on.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having tang aggression issues for awhile that kept me from adding any new fish. In my case it was a yellow tang causing problems. I picked up an acclimation box and a locker mirror. I kept my new kole tang in the box next to my nori feeder and put the mirror on the opposite side of the feeder. Released the kole tang 3 days later with no issues. Pulled the mirror down 2 days after that. Repeated the same process and was able to add a convict tang a week later.

That was 2 months ago and everyone is still getting along great. Actually, the fish are more social than they were before.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My naso did well for many months. I didnt see alot of bullying by the sailfin, but during the last days, the naso looked pretty beat up. With the sailfin showing the most interest in its injured state.

A sohal or clown tang would be a good addition as far as lots of movement and entertainment, but I def dont want move contention in what is normally a pretty calm tank

If I go for a larger orange-Shoulder or something like it, will it be better or worse for the sailfin than a smaller one.

Last edited:

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever tang you choose I would also suggest adding other fish at the same time as the new tang. Having options to chase will greatly improve the chances that all the new fish will be welcomed with minimal troubles. There will always be some aggression from an established tang when new fish are added but when done properly you can minimize it.

As far as size of the new tang I would try to find a small one. The Sailfin will assert his/her dominance but I've found that if the newbie is much smaller than the established the aggression is far less severe and short lived. I still think an olivaceous is a good choice for you.

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever tang you choose I would also suggest adding other fish at the same time as the new tang. Having options to chase will greatly improve the chances that all the new fish will be welcomed with minimal troubles. There will always be some aggression from an established tang when new fish are added but when done properly you can minimize it.

As far as size of the new tang I would try to find a small one. The Sailfin will assert his/her dominance but I've found that if the newbie is much smaller than the established the aggression is far less severe and short lived. I still think an olivaceous is a good choice for you.
How about similarly small sized orange shoulder tang and foxface?

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a chocolate tang (Acanthurus Pyroferus)? As a juvenile, would it battle with my Flame Angel?

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any info on chocolate tangs!
They are susceptible to parasites as acanthurus tangs but one of the hardier acanthurus choices. Orange shoulder being the hardiest and least at risk of parasitic demise.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 4FordFamily...shocker. Pyroferus is an amazing tang, one of my personal favorites. They are often overlooked for reasons I can't figure out but they are nothing short of stunning as they mature. I almost got one to complete my current tang sanctuary but opted for a clown instead. The only reason the clown won is simply because I have never had one.

If I were you I would skip the foxface and double down with the olivaceous and pyroferus. I guarantee you will not regret it, remember when in doubt tang it out!

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with 4FordFamily...shocker. Pyroferus is an amazing tang, one of my personal favorites. They are often overlooked for reasons I can't figure out but they are nothing short of stunning as they mature. I almost got one to complete my current tang sanctuary but opted for a clown instead. The only reason the clown won is simply because I have never had one.

If I were you I would skip the foxface and double down with the olivaceous and pyroferus. I guarantee you will not regret it, remember when in doubt tang it out!
Best answer ever?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back