Any hunters on here?

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read posts like that, it makes me so happy that I don't live in California. that place is getting out of control... especially for outdoorsmen.
I picked up a carrier about a year back and really like it, it takes a little bit of getting used to the weight but when I really think about it, it not that much extra weight haha.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not restricted to hunting! Man, Thats gotta be tough in Cali:confused: Ive been eyeballing a carrier myself. AR500 is close to the house, Ive been thinking of dropping in one of these days. They make good stuff, good med kits as well.

It's a pain, handgun rosters,"assault" weapons bans, capacity bans, fixed mag vs featureless, etc I can go on and on. And now the feds are trying to ban body armor in all 50 states... How does body armor hurt anyone... All it does it save lives... It's already illegal to sell to a felon... You are only hurting law abiding citizens.
I haven't seen AR500s medkits, but i like Celox med kits.

When I read posts like that, it makes me so happy that I don't live in California. that place is getting out of control... especially for outdoorsmen.
I picked up a carrier about a year back and really like it, it takes a little bit of getting used to the weight but when I really think about it, it not that much extra weight haha.

They aren't too bad, my Spartan armor ones weighs in at about 20 pounds for both front, back and side plates. But then i still haven't added pouches, mags,etc. Im assuming around 30 pounds when all is said and done. This is why ceramics are a thing LOL. But otherwise it would be a great way to work out too and get used to the weight if you didn't have to worry about someone calling the cops on you while out on a jog/run with it on in my state, then it could get really bad from there sadly.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
life-long hunter here too. Started hunting small game and deer with my dad, but since have become mostly a bird hunter.
I like duck hunting and upland hunting. Bird hunting is more social than deer hunting. You can bird hunt with a group of guys and yuck it up the whole time. Bird hunting also allows me to bring along my other sources of joy.... dogs and my kids. Seeing a good dog work and the passion and drive they have is just awesome to me. Can't get enough hunting or dogs. My son has been bird hunting with me ever since he could pick up a shotgun. Now he thinks he wants to try deer hunting, so I may have to dust off the old Browing BAR (belgium made) deer rifle and take him this fall.

This is my newest hunting partner. AKC TOL Sloughfoot Sadie Mae (Sadie). She's only two, but already my best hunting dog to date. She's a hunting machine. Just as good at retrieving ducks from inland swamps or icy big open water as she is at locating pheasants in CRP field.

20190330_133354.jpg 20191214_162840.jpg 20191209_110235.jpg 20191021_093505.jpg 20191230_180957.jpg

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a hunter for awhile now. Didn't get to go last year with my last job I had no time off and I was working too much to go. This week my buddy and I are scouting a new plot though to get ready for deer in the fall.

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics coming in from AZ...I dont personally know this hunter and prob wouldnt share something I didnt shoot...but this is darn close to a record. Unofficial 471. Unit 27 Governors tag.
IMG_0273.jpg

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done much hunting since I lost my dog. She wasn't a great bird dog but she was a great bird dog for me. Had planned on being in WY for a while and do some hunting while I lived there but that didn't pan out.

Hoping now that I am moving to Wisconsin I might get back into at least birds and maybe a few other things. I'll have some Cabelas points to spend after my move, maybe that .338 Win mag I always wanted! lol (probably just a new shotgun, my buddy convinced me to buy a double trigger SxS and I can't shoot it to save my life. I want my O/U back!!! :D)

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done much hunting since I lost my dog. She wasn't a great bird dog but she was a great bird dog for me. Had planned on being in WY for a while and do some hunting while I lived there but that didn't pan out.

Hoping now that I am moving to Wisconsin I might get back into at least birds and maybe a few other things. I'll have some Cabelas points to spend after my move, maybe that .338 Win mag I always wanted! lol (probably just a new shotgun, my buddy convinced me to buy a double trigger SxS and I can't shoot it to save my life. I want my O/U back!!! :D)
Sorry about your pup...what kind of dog? I got another lab over Christmas...would love to take her out hunting, but need to train!

Some guys were shooting a .338 next to me at the range. Big boy lol

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She was a Weimaraner, my avatar was her at about 18 months. She was my first bird dog and I screwed her up something fierce but she turned out to be a fantastic dog despite me!

Ya, .338 is a beast but it'll take anything I needed it to (mulies to moose). Really focused on it to hunt with in WY since there were some big critters out there that considered a rifle shot the dinner bell. I figure a .243 for coyotes and pronghorn then the .338 for everything else could get the job done.

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my 5.56 for the yotes. As far as big game, Ive been using my .308. Still havent dropped an elk yet, but worked great on deer. Been considering something like a 300 win mag for elk. Wyoming would be awesome to hunt

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few shots and our first true wild birds - ND sharptails

FB_IMG_1485265807889.jpg FB_IMG_1536489155378.jpg FB_IMG_1548273707068.jpg

FB_IMG_1505387653198.jpg

She was the best anti depressant I have ever had! :)

A few shots at my house in WY

Resized_20151108_171317.jpeg Resized_20151026_222152.jpeg

That Muley kicked 2 others out of my yard who were fighting during the rut. All three were heavy bodied SOBs and part of a herd of 20 to 30 bachelors that strolled by. I lived along the Muley and Pronghorn migration route. A doe and her two fawns used to walk on the deck at the back of the house.

The cow moose hung out with her calf in my yard nearly every day. Her boyfriends were close by too. None of them had huge racks but they were big enough.

Headed out of town one day I saw all the cars/trucks on 191 stopped and a line of what looked like dark bodied cows crossing the road which wasn't unusual in that area. It wasn't cows it was 22 moose moving from the mountains to the flats around the Green River just outside town. I have never seen or heard about anything like it. I've got photos of them crossing somewhere.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my 5.56 for the yotes. As far as big game, Ive been using my .308. Still havent dropped an elk yet, but worked great on deer. Been considering something like a 300 win mag for elk. Wyoming would be awesome to hunt

Since I have my AR I was thinking about getting a bolt gun to match. Better to have to buy one caliber than two but I think I'd like the extra oompf of the .243 for pronghorn.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just used some Cabela points today on a new pair of waters! I love waterfall season!

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These little girls are motherless and pretty tame really. Too tame for the wild. Coyote bait probably. As you can hear the highway is just 100 yds in front of them so I went out and chased them off. I got wishing 5 or 6 ft before they decided to leave. I keep food out at the food plot for them. I figure a car will get them both thru the winter. Our record was 18 deer by cars in one winter right off our property. Several have made it to our freezer too.
For the bird hunters.... E8B04110-6A18-40AB-8DB3-1795D0B72DB9.jpeg 96007AE4-4621-4C93-B34F-8714D29DFBD1.jpeg 951456E0-0C9A-4594-9569-A703D958A7CF.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back