Any one running a closed loop system

Ramses66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one running a closed loop system on their tank. I'm planning a 150 gallon system. I want to weigh the pro's and con's on this type of system. Any advice, picture, or suggestion will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, well not yet almost, i have a 6' 125 i am finishing up on, that is running a close loop on a reeflo barracuda with an Ocean motion 4 way.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has a hmm to it but i dont have the doors up. for me its fine doesnt bother me. yes i have a reeflo dart for my return, skimmer and a couple other items.

the dart is a little quiter.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running one on my 268G 7.5 foot tank. I have it pulling from a 2" bulkhead and returning via 2 1" bulkheads. I run mine with a Panworld pump.

OP
OP
R

Ramses66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an area like you got for an in the wall system. I was thinking about stacking 2-150's and using one of them for a fish only tank. I like the clean look of the closed loop, but there is just not too much information how to start.

OP
OP
R

Ramses66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need to sit down and figure out how much flow I will need, what size bulkheads ect. The great thing is I want to have the tanks made, so I need to understand what to ask for.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well at most your'll need a feed hole, couple feeds holes can break down the suction, and a couple returns. really 2 it the most you get on returns only you use something like the 4 way or 8 way. that was my main plan was to have a clean look and no powerheads in the tank.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 100G reef I have a CL using a 1" drain basically in the exact center back of the tank and returns drilled in each upper back corner. The pump is an Ocean Runner 3500 and if feeds through an Oceans Motions Squirt two way to the corners and out through 3/4" Loc Lines. Love the switching motion in the tank.
I originally started out with a Quiet One 4000 and a SCWD but the pump literally went up in flames and I made a great trade for the OM Squirt and OR3500 pump. The SCWD really cuts flows and I would not recommend it if you are looking for flows over 500 GPH.

OP
OP
R

Ramses66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I going to ride up to Ocea (tank builder in Alabama), I'm starting to get the idea I still got a lot of reading an planning to do.

OP
OP
R

Ramses66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 100G reef I have a CL using a 1" drain basically in the exact center back of the tank and returns drilled in each upper back corner. The pump is an Ocean Runner 3500 and if feeds through an Oceans Motions Squirt two way to the corners and out through 3/4" Loc Lines. Love the switching motion in the tank.
I originally started out with a Quiet One 4000 and a SCWD but the pump literally went up in flames and I made a great trade for the OM Squirt and OR3500 pump. The SCWD really cuts flows and I would not recommend it if you are looking for flows over 500 GPH.

Stupid Question. How do you determine how much flow you will need in a tank?

Gimili the Great

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know that a lot of tanks out there that are aga have tempered bottoms so drilling the bottom unless you know for 100% certainty your isnt tempered i wouldnt even mess with drilling the bottom

OP
OP
R

Ramses66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw on a website someone using a spray bar. A bar that run the lenght of the tank, to keep dead spots out of the live rock Anyone have any experience with the spray bar?

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used them in the past. They seem to work ok. The last time I was running one I
had a problem finding a calm spot for some of the corals that don't like flow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back