Any regrets having pistol shrimp/goby pair?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not my post but appreciate all and any Answers Lasse
Really - as I know it - it is only a few of the known shrimp gobies that have a prolonged first dorsal fin ray. Have you any documentation on that statement?

sincerely Lasse
Members that replydo not need documentation as unfortunately for most that provide me good old basic knowledge, it's worth alot more then

Sincerely Lasse

Members that reply do not need documentation as for most that provide me good old basic knowledge, years in this hobbie for personal benefits is worth alot more then then a certificate documentation, imo

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really - as I know it - it is only a few of the known shrimp gobies that have a prolonged first dorsal fin ray. Have you any documentation on that statement?

sincerely Lasse
Not at the moment - I don’t have a shrimp body pairing, but with the growth bit there is some proof:
A lot of the captive bred gobies have no high fin when sold, but they tend to grow them back after a while - I have witnessed it happen to a lot of the yashas that have come in.

I have found a quote from a rather old thread on here:
As long as the fin base isn't damaged and the is no infection involved, it will regrow.
9 May 2021

As for the shrimp part, I have yet to find evidence of the shrimp keeping touch of the high fin part all together however, it will keep touch of the goby in some shape or form (Here’s a photo from ReefBuilders showing a goby and a shrimp touching)
B29AD80D-E56B-4D64-9BCA-27B2E1081A0E.jpeg

Specifically:
Stonogobiops yasha and Alpheus randalli

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have a pair with my bare bottom? I’m just missing the Pistol shrimp
I do not recommend to have a pistol shrimp in bare bottoms - they should be able to dig in sand

Sincerely Lasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I’ve seen photos of A. randalli with S. yasha (The goby I currently have) I may try get hold of one and try pair the two - Although, my yasha currently doesn’t even need a shrimp to help him burrow. I think from having him housed with two jawfish in the past it taught him how to burrow because before that he was just sat on the top of the sand, hiding behind rocks.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have found a quote from a rather old thread on here:
As long as the fin base isn't damaged and the is no infection involved, it will regrow.
9 May 2021

As for the shrimp part, I have yet to find evidence of the shrimp keeping touch of the high fin part all together however, it will keep touch of the goby in some shape or form (Here’s a photo from ReefBuilders showing a goby and a shrimp
Of cause it will regrow - that was not that I doubt. I doubt the theory abut the need of a prolonged anterior dorsal fin ray for pairing and the "touch" theory. I have study shrimp gobies in my aquarium for many years and have hours of video on the behavior of both shrimp and goby. Not seen any evidence for your statement. all of my shrimp gobies do not have a prolonged anterior dorsal fin ray at all. It is not the touch that is important either - it is the movement of the goby that get the shrimp to take cover. See this short video

Here is another species

Here is a long movie

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of cause it will regrow - that was not that I doubt. I doubt the theory abut the need of a prolonged anterior dorsal fin ray for pairing and the "touch" theory. I have study shrimp gobies in my aquarium for many years and have hours of video on the behavior of both shrimp and coby. Not seen any evidence for your statement. all of my shrimp gobies do not have a prolonged anterior dorsal fin ray at all. It is not the touch that is important either - it is the movement of the goby that get the shrimp to take cover. See this short video

Here is another species

Here is a long movie

Sincerely Lasse

Yeah, I have mainly seen this behaviour in the “highfin” shrimp gobies - I don’t quite know if it’s “true” pairing behaviour, but it certainly is a form of it. I spend less time studying the gobies then I do with the wrasse and tangs - So I won’t say my statement is true but I also don’t know if it is false, simply just from hearing it at some point in the past (I can’t remember what it was).

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Members that reply do not need documentation as for most that provide me good old basic knowledge, years in this hobbie for personal benefits is worth alot more then then a certificate documentation, imo
Yes indeed - experiences is important - and I have only have had shrimp and shrimp gobies since 2006 and just study them for many hours - so what do I know?

But as you can see above - there is no fact that support his claims. And as the post above - it based on something he/she have heard - that´s the way myths spreads.

Sincerely Lasse

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed - experiences is important - and I have only have had shrimp and shrimp gobies since 2006 and just study them for many hours - so what do I know?

But as you can see above - there is no fact that support his claims. And as the post above - it based on something he/she have heard - that´s the way myths spreads.

Sincerely Lasse
Maybe you could help us out then, and all knowledge is great when understood I will pm as this not my post

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my pistol shrimp for at least 6/7 years and he’s lived through 3 generations of watchman’s. I love them, they are so fun to watch and I really enjoy losing time seeing them go after it. With that being said my old man pistol shrimp loves to fling sand on my zoas/acans/mushrooms and bury them completely so every other day I gotta go in and blow them off, it’s annoying but I would never let him go

Gav 525xl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone with more experience may be able to answer my questions.
I recently picked up a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair, After not seeing the shrimp for days after introducing them to the tank I came home last night to see they reunited. The shrimp making a cave in the gravel under the rock scape barely visible unless viewing from the rear back corner of the tank.
Will they move and potentially make new more visible homes? Or should I accept they are will rarely be seen because of the location picked?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping someone with more experience may be able to answer my questions.
I recently picked up a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair, After not seeing the shrimp for days after introducing them to the tank I came home last night to see they reunited. The shrimp making a cave in the gravel under the rock scape barely visible unless viewing from the rear back corner of the tank.
Will they move and potentially make new more visible homes? Or should I accept they are will rarely be seen because of the location picked?
IME - they move their openings now and then. At the end they decide there their favourite spot is. They are there for most of the time. Do not interfere. When I started my aquarium - I planed for some locations but - what a surprise - they did not follow my instructions :D. If you try to feed in special spots (where you want the openings) they may decide to have their openings close to these "feeding" spots but no quarantine.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spot feed your pistol shrimp? As in, give it its own food?
Normally not but I have notice that they chose a spot there feed is falling down. They seldom leave their cave for catching food. Maybe the goby bring it down to them. I always have the main feed around 2 hours before all light is out.

Sincerely Lasse

Gav 525xl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME - they move their openings now and then. At the end they decide there their favourite spot is. They are there for most of the time. Do not interfere. When I started my aquarium - I planed for some locations but - what a surprise - they did not follow my instructions :D. If you try to feed in special spots (where you want the openings) they may decide to have their openings close to these "feeding" spots but no quarantine.

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you appreciate the reply. Will try and entice them out with food. However the goby openly left and swam around to eat when I dropped mysis in earlier. Then happily went back.
Fingers crossed they decide to move where I can view/ enjoy them more

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - it was a Red Sea MAX of the first modells back in 2007. Not much flow.

I´m not sure that your gobies will pair with a shrimp - have never heard that. See here for description and here

Sincerely Lasse
I had to do some more reading and found this:

Gobies of the following genera are noted as having symbioses with shrimp: Amblyeleotris, Ctenogobiops, Cryptocentrus, Stonogobiops, Vanderhorstia, Tomiamichthys and Mahidolia. Several species of shrimp goby are actually offered in the trade. The shrimps are relatively difficult to capture, so less frequently offered. Primarily, the gobies on offer will include Stonogobiops, Ctenogobiops, Cryptocentrus and Amblyeleotris species.

Now I have to translate all those science names Into names I will find at the store.

Getting back on topic my only regret so far is buying 4 fish that apparently will never pair with my pistol!

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea where online you can buy these kinds of shells/coral in small amounts?
Reefcleaners.org

@Lasse I was happy to see that a fire shrimp was kept in the tank with a pistol shrimp, I think I will go to the LFS tomorrow and buy the fireshrimp I have had my eye on.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefcleaners.org

@Lasse I was happy to see that a fire shrimp was kept in the tank with a pistol shrimp, I think I will go to the LFS tomorrow and buy the fireshrimp I have had my eye on.
For the moment I have 2 fire shrimps in that aquarium. One of the have been there for the tanks whole lifetime (+5 years) - The pistol - nearly the same.

Sincerely Lasse

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First video was Tues 26th, so goby found the cave and was very timid, as you can see begining of video he's scared of snail
2nd video is Today... so big difference in two days, it's like a new fish :) now it has found its mate (pistol shrimp)

(Both was added into my aquarium Fri 22nd)

Attachments

• VID20211026161534.mp4
    18.1 MB
  • VID20211028102745.mp4
    27.4 MB

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back