Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The activated sensor only rolls enough so that the elevated water level drops below the optical sensor, my unit only advances about 1~2 inches.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everybody's feedback on this. Being it's the first version of the product, I think personally, I may wait to see if they come out with a more refined version like what happened with the Maxspect Gyre's first edition.

They saw the flaws, took the feedback, and released the 200 series roughly a year later. I think I may wait for the Klir 2.0 to see if there are improvements to things like the controller, where you can plug 2 units directly into a more robust controller or a feed mode or something for when you turn the return pump off.

I've gotten off the early adopter train because I've gotten burned one to many times. I would love for people to keep the longer term use updates flowing though, and ways they've improved or found ways best to install and use the unit.

The automatic sensor is their second gen I believe. The manual roll model is first gen.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines been running really with the y adapter they sent me for dual klir. It's been really good cause I turned off the sensor until I could get the cable to turned then both at same time.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The activated sensor only rolls enough so that the elevated water level drops below the optical sensor, my unit only advances about 1~2 inches.

So if you shut off the return pump, causing the water to go above the sensor, will it keep spooling out the roll of fleece?

If you don't have enough water return
The automatic sensor is their second gen I believe. The manual roll model is first gen.

No it's not. They had a previous prototype, but never released it to the public. They made some changes and now this model is the first version released.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you shut off the return pump, causing the water to go above the sensor, will it keep spooling out the roll of fleece?

If you don't have enough water return

No it's not. They had a previous prototype, but never released it to the public. They made some changes and now this model is the first version released.

I have my klir on apex if return is off klir is off so no unwanted rolling.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the motor will continue to roll if your sump level raises and keeps the water level above the optical sensor trigger point when you shut down your return pump.
As others have done, you can have power cut to the KLIR controller when your return pump is shut down via different ways.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the motor will continue to roll if your sump level raises and keeps the water level above the optical sensor trigger point when you shut down your return pump.
As others have done, you can have power cut to the KLIR controller when your return pump is shut down via different ways.

How do you do that without an Apex and without having to unplug the Klir?

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I thought about that, and thanks for the suggestion, but the optical sensor would have to be placed higher that the optical sensor on the Klir, so the Klir can still function properly. By the time the water level hits the secondary optical, the Klir would've spun out a decent amount of felt.

Without a conroller, its a tough thing to get precise without wasting felt on a daily basis.

It would be cool if you could plug something from the Klir into the VarioS's 0-10v controller port to shut off the Klir when you hit feed mode on the pump. I'm just thinking aloud.

Good business idea for people with acrylic fabricating materials... Make adpaters and trays for all types of sumps, like how inTank makes media baskets for all types of AIO tanks. Maybe something I'll look into.

Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope someone can help me here to make my own adapter for Reefer 250. I attempted to make my own adapter and ran into a problem. I cut out a 4” circle in a acrylic plate with 2” side, but the adapter that comes on the Klir filter is not a complete circle. On that adapter water leaks through the small cut outs. What’s the point of that? The other adapters are complete circles but not 4”. One of them is almost 4” but not sure exactly what the diameter of it is. Any ideas how to fix that issue or what kind of cut I should make ?

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope someone can help me here to make my own adapter for Reefer 250. I attempted to make my own adapter and ran into a problem. I cut out a 4” circle in a acrylic plate with 2” side, but the adapter that comes on the Klir filter is not a complete circle. On that adapter water leaks through the small cut outs. What’s the point of that? The other adapters are complete circles but not 4”. One of them is almost 4” but not sure exactly what the diameter of it is. Any ideas how to fix that issue or what kind of cut I should make ?

I didn't cut a complete circle. I use a jig and jig my own shaped. It helps to have a Dremel and all the tools.

Dave Mrnak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not tried them out yet, but having my new synergy reef sump modded to be able to house them when they come available

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you do that without an Apex and without having to unplug the Klir?

My water level in the sump does not rise up to the sock tray so I do not need to shut down the KLIR when the return pump is shut down.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shouldnt say available, when they get a couple generations down the line!

That's exactly what I'm waiting for. There's always improvements made soon after a new product is released.

A little off topic, but I recently bought a Quantum Dot tv. It was the first Quantum Dot ever put out by this company, though they have released plenty of great sets in the past. After getting the tv, I came across multiple issues and it took me a week to dial in the coloring perfectly (and I worked as a field supervisor for a cable company). The tv went back even though I was anticipating its release for 6 months. They cut to many corners and the product wasn't refined enough because it was their first generation of this tv. Next year I'm sure there will be a host of improvements.

I'm betting the same will happen with this filter. After reading many reviews (not just here), it seems like the quality needs to be brought up a bit. Many people are fine with the product, and that's great they like it. I just don't want to get it now and then a year from now a much more enhanced version comes out and I'm kicking myself for not waiting.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few of these types of filters available. The Clarisea, the X-Filter in Europe. The Klir.

I actually like the X-Filter the best, but isn't available in the states and is geared more towards nutrient removal than just mechanical filtration. It's only in Europe though as of now.

The Klir seems to be the most universal type. Someone had stated somewhere that the filter rolls on the Klir are a type of automotive filter (I forget which type) and was looking into using that same filter for the roll replacement. I want to say a coolant or antifreeze type of filter media, but I'm not positive.

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for 3 weeks no issue. In my sump the water level doesn’t come any where close to the optical sensor when the return is shut off. I love not having to worry about changing a filter sock any more

5C2C2206-826F-48BD-8A07-D95E635BE07D.jpeg

E12945AA-F20C-4661-8BCE-11B1FDC6B2A1.jpeg

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump doesn't have a sock tray. Since my tank is torn down right now, I was thinking about building one when I set the system back up. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just build it with a KLIR instead of a sock tray.

What requirements would there be? A separate compartment for the water flow from the overflow, then into a KLIR, then out through slats at the bottom?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for 3 weeks no issue. In my sump the water level doesn’t come any where close to the optical sensor when the return is shut off. I love not having to worry about changing a filter sock any more

the klir fits a trigger sump? i have a trigger 34 and thinking of this

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back