• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

anyone 3D printing AIO media baskets?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this might be a silly question but wondering if anyone has 3D printed media baskets for AIO tanks?
is the material used reef safe?
cost effective?

no after market media basket for the AIO I just got as was just thinking out loud.

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take measurements I can print the item... Just would need a diagram or a 3d model of what you are trying to make. There are reef safe plastics :)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take measurements I can print the item... Just would need a diagram or a 3d model of what you are trying to make. There are reef safe plastics :)

nice! I just go the tank in a few days ago. nit sure what i want it's an AIO and was thinking of a 3 tier tower style like most other AIO after market media baskets.
i'll see what I can come up with.

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a little old, but i printed a 3tier (modular*) media basket for my Fluval Evo 13.5 out of PETG, and it fits like a glove. Also, i create a tiny water cavity to allow water to flow through the top of the media basket down.

* By modular i mean, you could print only certain pieces and they snap together.

You should be able to scale these to fit your need.

Here are the 3 files, on tinkercad:

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go!!! If you have a printer then you're are all set!! If you don't have a printer and need someone to print them maybe TheGerm or Myself could print it out for you.

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks guys, @Dierks @TheGerm ! yeah I dont have a 3d printer...I have never even seen one. :/

out of curiously what would something like that run a guy?

~$230 for a reasonably sized, good quality printer...

Here are the two that I have: (i print a lot haha)
- Monoprice Maker Select 3d Printer: $259 (usually goes on sale every quarter for about $30 off)

- Ender 3: $229 or the Ender 3 Pro: $259 (the pro version just has a couple extras, the printer is the same)
Those are Amazon links, but I got my Pro from Banggood.com for $200 shipped. Currently, standard is $169.99 and Pro is $220 and those ship from the US Warehouse. If you are willing to wait for a shipment from China, its about $10-20 cheaper.

Theses printers have a good bed size to print most things you would ever want to print, and the great thing about them as well, you can print parts from the printer to make your printer even better.

They both have massive communities and free downloadable parts on thingiverse (you can donate to the creators, if you want).

I cant recommend those printers enough, they are great starter printers (monoprice maker select was my first).

Last edited:

A_Kamal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a little old, but i printed a 3tier (modular*) media basket for my Fluval Evo 13.5 out of PETG, and it fits like a glove. Also, i create a tiny water cavity to allow water to flow through the top of the media basket down.

* By modular i mean, you could print only certain pieces and they snap together.

You should be able to scale these to fit your need.

Here are the 3 files, on tinkercad:
Hey this is from a while ago but does this work well?

TheGerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey this is from a while ago but does this work well?
Worked for me while i had that system setup. Scaled that tank to a 20Gal Long, so its no longer running. The baskets held up and worked for my need, still have them just in case my neighbor takes the dive into saltwater :).

Only thing i will call out is, Fluval could have made minor changes if your 13.5 is newer, which could change the design or size of the models. (not sure if thats the case, just a call out to check dimensions)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back