Anyone use reef diaper

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Reef Diapers for over a year. I love them. They literally kept me in the hobby. Cleaning filter socks was the worst experience ever. I would convert to a fleece roller but my stand is low and my sum has a weird lip. IMHO Reef Diapers are one of the best inventions this hobby has seen. The frequency at which I change them is based on the flow rate I'm running at that time. I was changing them 1.5 times per week when I was running lower flow rate for protozoa sterilization. I've recently increased my flow rate and now I change them every 2-3 days. I'm surprised at how much they pull out of the water.

I wish they made them with different pore sizes so I could go up a little and still pull out enough particles while changing one a week.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced my reef diaper sock today I noticed alot of the waste particles going through my sump coming from the reef diaper wen pulling it out
When I pull them out the stuff I see are the particles that collect on the outside of the diaper scraping off. It is not particles being released from the inside layer of the diaper.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Reef Diapers for over a year. I love them. They literally kept me in the hobby. Cleaning filter socks was the worst experience ever. I would convert to a fleece roller but my stand is low and my sum has a weird lip. IMHO Reef Diapers are one of the best inventions this hobby has seen. The frequency at which I change them is based on the flow rate I'm running at that time. I was changing them 1.5 times per week when I was running lower flow rate for protozoa sterilization. I've recently increased my flow rate and now I change them every 2-3 days. I'm surprised at how much they pull out of the water.

I wish they made them with different pore sizes so I could go up a little and still pull out enough particles while changing one a week.
It's great to hear the Reef Diaper is working so well for you. I agree, cleaning filters socks was the worst. It was my inspiration for creating the the Reef Diaper. Thank you for sharing.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to hear the Reef Diaper is working so well for you. I agree, cleaning filters socks was the worst. It was my inspiration for creating the the Reef Diaper. Thank you for sharing.
Do you have plans for 7" diapers? I am planning a new sump and have been using reef diapers so I was considering a smaller sump with 3 ×4" sock holders so I could use diapers, but I would love a 7" option :)

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently we don't have plans for a 7" Reef Diaper. We do make an adapter that will allow the 4" Reef Diaper to fit a 7" filter sock bore. This adapter is only recommended for applications with very light bio loads.

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the adapters in today, waiting on the diapers from Amazon!

I'm on the fence so these should be a good compromise:

Rollers are expensive, another cost in rolls, modify sump, and maybe work too well...pulling out foods etc...

Washing Red Sea mesh socks or any filter socks is not fun. And I usually do it outside with garden hose, which isn't practical in winter.

Thus, the @Reef Diaper ...Haven't even used them yet but if you all need a spokesman look no further lol.

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using them in my sump I have 3 of them with the 7"adapters I would say I need to change then every 3-4 days once the start to bulge and clog up. one diaper is about a dollar so monthly cost is about $30 not bad if you ask me. My system is 210 gal tank with 50 gal sump

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really loved Reef Diapers. They kept me in the hobby. I switched to a fleece roller this year but used Reef Diapers for 18 months before the switch and loved them!

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm on my third set of pack of 64 of the reef diapers and I must say I like them I do alternate using real 4-in socks and use the reef diapers in a pinch. I wish the sock opening was the same as a 4-inch sock so that my little baffles would fit but they do not. All in all they do work well.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the diaper last longer (till it’s dirty) than the sock?
I found the diapers would last two to three days depending on flow rate which I felt was really good because they polished the water very well. It also meant that detrious was not breaking down into nitrates. You actually don’t want you filter socks to last a long time. I would say anything longer that three days puts you in a period where you start to get nitrates.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the diapers would last two to three days depending on flow rate which I felt was really good because they polished the water very well. It also meant that detrious was not breaking down into nitrates. You actually don’t want you filter socks to last a long time. I would say anything longer that three days puts you in a period where you start to get nitrates.
Ok, but how long did the sock usually last till you had to remove it?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am now using them on both my tanks and love them so far. Can see the gunk they capture and remove and nutrients seem to be well controlled. . . knock of wood!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't speak for him, but a 200 micron sock lasts me about 4-5 days while a reefdiaper lasts me about 2-3 days.
Good to know … I use 100m socks that need to be changed every day… when I tried reef diapers, they would last for days. Which means that they weren’t removing much at all!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just sharing a pic of some gunk they removed:
2D6C5E80-B369-4281-8E9B-04F3BFF10D27.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back