Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answers,! But I do not understand why it’s now works. Fuge with chaeto increased ph since Chaeto releases oxygen during growth.

why oxidator do not increase Ph since oxidator also release oxygen?

thank you

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuge with chaeto increased ph since Chaeto releases oxygen during growth.
And where does this oxygen come from? It is true that they release oxygen as a waste but the source for this oxygen is CO2 in the water. It means in order to produce oxygen they need to take CO2 from the water - lower CO2 in the water -> higher pH. The source for the oxygen in the oxydator is H2O2 and the final left over will be H2O and O2

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answers,! But I do not understand why it’s now works. Fuge with chaeto increased ph since Chaeto releases oxygen during growth.

why oxidator do not increase Ph since oxidator also release oxygen?

thank you
Because where cheato uses CO2 as a plant fertiliser removing it and therefore increasing PH Oxygen does not remove CO2. Cheato only adds a minimal amount of oxygen compared to what an Oxydator can provide.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, I completely forgot about the consumption of co2 by the chaeto :rolleyes:
To add to my post above. CO2 is also a lot heavier gas so congregates more in the lower regions of the tank hence the need for good circulation and CO2 is much more soluble than O2 and the water can hold more CO2 than oxygen.

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask some more oxidator questions?

I'm just trying to figure out if I need an oxidator and what benefits it provides in a reef aquarium.

1. If the oxidator does not increase PH, but does increase the oxygen level in the water, is this probably still very good for fish and corals?

2. What level of oxygen in the water is considered optimal for a reef aquarium and its inhabitants, and most importantly, how can we measure the level of oxygen? I do not know of such tests.

3. Is it possible to "overdose" oxygen, and what negative consequences can this cause?

4.1 Is it safe to use an oxidator together with the Chaeto?
4.2 As I understand it, the increased oxygen level will make the iron necessary for the growth of the Chaeto inaccessible?

5. Can the oxidator completely replace carbon reactor or I still need use carbon?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask some more oxidator questions?

I'm just trying to figure out if I need an oxidator and what benefits it provides in a reef aquarium.

1. If the oxidator does not increase PH, but does increase the oxygen level in the water, is this probably still very good for fish and corals?

Most of the fish we keep live in 100% oxygen saturation on the reef, many aquariums do not replicate this level. Not sure on corals but then they live in the same conditions.

2. What level of oxygen in the water is considered optimal for a reef aquarium and its inhabitants, and most importantly, how can we measure the level of oxygen? I do not know of such tests.

There are O2 hobby test kits which although aren't very accurate they will give you an indication. There are also oxygen meters to measure O2 levels. Redox meters will also give a good indication of oxygen levels. 100% O2 saturation or close to it is IMO desirable.

3. Is it possible to "overdose" oxygen, and what negative consequences can this cause?

Yes it is although you have to push it well beyond 100% saturation. On some reefs the water is over 100% oxygen saturation. Tangs like the Achilles reside in very high areas of O2 saturation and need high levels of O2 in the aquarium.
If you push O2 very high you can burn the gills of fish and corals. Yes, in my experiments I have pushed O2 to high levels and although fish seem unaffected some corals in particular mushrooms and anemones closed up.

4.1 Is it safe to use an oxidator together with the Chaeto?
4.2 As I understand it, the increased oxygen level will make the iron necessary for the growth of the Chaeto inaccessible?
[QOUTE]

Sorry not heard of that, I don't use cheato in my aquarium but I do have a waterfall ATS. The Oxydator seems to have no affect on the Ulva intestinalis I grow in it. I do add iron from time to time as a supliment.

Thank you for your help.

Your welcome.
You might want to join the Oxydator user group on Facebook where you will find lots of information tips and specifications on Oxydators and their use esp in the files section.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5ltr container of 12% last me about 5months using it at full strength. I can't say I have noticed it dropping off in that time. Keep it in a cool dark place.
Thank you for the response. That's not too bad and makes me feel better. If I can find a reasonably priced 32oz/1 liter 12% solution, that could last me 5 months cut down to 6%.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. That's not too bad and makes me feel better. If I can find a reasonably priced 32oz/1 liter 12% solution, that could last me 5 months cut down to 6%.
I get mine from a chemical supply company here in the UK or via eBay.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I ordered a gallon of 12% not realizing peroxide breaks down quickly after opening. I'm reading in 1-6 months. I'm using an Oxydator D in a 28.5g AIO. The plan was to dilute to 6% and have probably 2 years worth of peroxide..lol! Looks like I'm gonna have lots of extra cleaning power for the rest of the year instead.

How long have you all noticed your peroxide lasts after opening? Is there anyway to test it? Are there any good options for small bottles in bulk? Peroxide isn't a huge expense, but I do prefer bulk in this hobby to save cash and time.

Thanks!
Refrigerate it - I bought the 12 percent (I think a gallon) - it works fine. I use 12 percent in my oxydator. I refill the oxydator (empty it) and add new 12 percent every 2 weeks. It is not a problem

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get mine from a chemical supply company here in the UK or via eBay.

Refrigerate it - I bought the 12 percent (I think a gallon) - it works fine. I use 12 percent in my oxydator. I refill the oxydator (empty it) and add new 12 percent every 2 weeks. It is not a problem
I'll keep it in the fridge, thanks. How long does it take you to use an entire gallon?

I've skimmed through most of this thread and I'm still learning about the catalysts and dosages. I went with the manufacturers recommended 6% with one catalyst for my Oxydator D. Would it worth experimenting in the 9-12% range? I've seen only positive effects thus far at 6%.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep it in the fridge, thanks. How long does it take you to use an entire gallon?

I've skimmed through most of this thread and I'm still learning about the catalysts and dosages. I went with the manufacturers recommended 6% with one catalyst for my Oxydator D. Would it worth experimenting in the 9-12% range? I've seen only positive effects thus far at 6%.
In my well stocked 115 gallon I use an Oxydator A 2 catalysts and 12%

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my well stocked 115 gallon I use an Oxydator A 2 catalysts and 12%
So if my understanding of the catalysts and peroxide percentages is correct, your 115g tank is using 4 times as much peroxide as my roughly 24g total volume at 6%. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe the better way to put it is your tank is oxygenating at 4 times the rate of mine, but into 4-5 times the water volume.

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if my understanding of the catalysts and peroxide percentages is correct, your 115g tank is using 4 times as much peroxide as my roughly 24g total volume at 6%. Does that sound right?
If you are using 2 catalysts then with me using 12% and 2 catalysts then I am using approximately twice as much if your using one catalyst and 6% then yes I am using around 4 times as much peroxide. Not sure it's as simple as that. My Oxydator A has to be refilled about every 7 days.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using 2 catalysts then with me using 12% and 2 catalysts then I am using approximately twice as much if your using one catalyst and 6% then yes I am using around 4 times as much peroxide. Not sure it's as simple as that. My Oxydator A has to be refilled about every 7 days.
I refill every 2 weeks. I'll stick with the 6% for now. It sounds like I'm at an appropriate level and I've been making a point to not make changes lately.

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking for something to fix my yellow water and found this thread.

Tore down the old tank. This is a result of 6 months of no water changes or physical detritus removal. No carbon no gfo. Water was brown.

Acros and montis never lost their color either.

Will be looking to try one of these oxydators on the current build.

IMG-20210724-WA0109.jpg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking for something to fix my yellow water and found this thread.

Tore down the old tank. This is a result of 6 months of no water changes or physical detritus removal. No carbon no gfo. Water was brown.

Acros and montis never lost their color either.

Will be looking to try one of these oxydators on the current build.

IMG-20210724-WA0109.jpg
You will find an Oxydator will remove most if not all of the colouring in the water.

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find an Oxydator will remove most if not all of the colouring in the water.
atoll, Thanks for sharing and guidance. Will be sharing my experience when I have it running and will continue browsing through this thread. Hope someone in HK stocks this or Amazon it is .

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
atoll, Thanks for sharing and guidance. Will be sharing my experience when I have it running and will continue browsing through this thread. Hope someone in HK stocks this or Amazon it is .
If not try here as apparently postage isn't so bad.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back