Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is a good place to buy a type A online in the US? They always seem to be out of stock.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many catalyst do I need for A Oxydator and 90g tank with 20g sump? And what peroxide should I use? 6-9-12%? And how much of it for how long?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many catalyst do I need for A Oxydator and 90g tank with 20g sump? And what peroxide should I use? 6-9-12%? And how much of it for how long?
Start with 9% and 2 catalysts. The Oxydator A holds .25ltr if all OK then tey 12% peroxide and watch your tank closely for the first half hour or so just to be sure all is OK with that strength.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate? What do you see that alerts you to check your oxydator?
Just my experience, more film algae on the glass in less time than normal alerts me to re fill mine.
Also If you leave it long enough the water becomes less clear or polished.
Yep, first thing is the glass. I would probably see the water being less clear but the messy glass gets in the way : )

Tony

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found 34% peroxide. How to delute it to 12 or 6%?
Well if you dilute it 1 part peroxide (34%) - and 2 parts water/RODI - you will get 11.3333 percent (close enough to 12 in my book). If you take 1 part of the new 11.3333 percent solution and add 1 part water/RODI you will get about 6 percent
That's what I use, to get to ~12%.

Cheers, Tony

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left the Sochting Oxidator overnight.
The water looks crisp and HD, still some tint muy much less.
pH went down to 8, instead of 8.4...
Corals don't seem sad, let's see when they wake up

118323C3-7050-40BB-93EA-BEF9328A6FC4.jpeg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left the Sochting Oxidator overnight.
The water looks crisp and HD, still some tint muy much less.
pH went down to 8, instead of 8.4...
Corals don't seem sad, let's see when they wake up

118323C3-7050-40BB-93EA-BEF9328A6FC4.jpeg
Oxydators don't directly affect PH. However, it might be as a result of organics being oxidated producing acids. If so the PH should steadily rise back to around it was before introducing the Oxydator.

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxydators don't directly affect PH. However, it might be as a result of organics being oxidated producing acids. If so the PH should steadily rise back to around it was before introducing the Oxydator.
Interesting, I wished it was more long lasting to counteract photosynthesis.

Andy Macro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate?
My tank is macroalgae dominant and they have been consuming carbonate as a carbon source which they turn to CO2 and as a side product release -OH
I add carbonate to the tank to compensate this loss but eventually the pH rises so much it becomes a limiting factor. So to have a way to safely counteract the pH rise short of adding CO2 directly (which is delicate and expensive) would be great.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is macroalgae dominant and they have been consuming carbonate as a carbon source which they turn to CO2 and as a side product release -OH
I add carbonate to the tank to compensate this loss but eventually the pH rises so much it becomes a limiting factor. So to have a way to safely counteract the pH rise short of adding CO2 directly (which is delicate and expensive) would be great.
Right, I see. Well the Oxydator can't help there but then it wasn't designed to of course. Few people have a problem with PH rising too much.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it provide all the same benefits that Ozone? Or just the water clarity?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it provide all the same benefits that Ozone? Or just the water clarity?
Consider an Oxydator as a simple safe alternative to an Ozoniser doing very similar things. Redox is raised along with the oxygen level. Compounds are oxidized in a similar way.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider an Oxydator as a simple safe alternative to an Ozoniser doing very similar things. Redox is raised along with the oxygen level. Compounds are oxidized in a similar way.
It kills the parasites like ozone?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good evening Atoll. Question, I'm currently waiting on a delivery of 12% peroxide. It is very difficult to get where I am in the Caribbean. My question is, are there any benefits with using the 3% which is very easy to get or would i just be wasting my time. I have a new size A on a 50 gallon aquarium. I apologize if this question has been asked already. Thanks for the help!

coolblueatx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Atoll. I have been an oxydator mini in a 20g long and running 5% H2O2. I'm still haven't seen much improvement on my glass. It still get cover with algae daily. Do you recommend increasing the %? Do you think the Mini is too small?

I'm have an IM 20 peninsula and the back chamber is very small. Not sure if any other model will fit back there.

Love to get your feedback.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening Atoll. Question, I'm currently waiting on a delivery of 12% peroxide. It is very difficult to get where I am in the Caribbean. My question is, are there any benefits with using the 3% which is very easy to get or would i just be wasting my time. I have a new size A on a 50 gallon aquarium. I apologize if this question has been asked already. Thanks for the help!
You can offset the low % of peroxide by negating it by using more catalysts. Try 4 catalysts or even 6 but try 4 first. You will see the peroxide get used up quicker which in turn means you are getting more oxygen into the water obviously.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Atoll. I have been an oxydator mini in a 20g long and running 5% H2O2. I'm still haven't seen much improvement on my glass. It still get cover with algae daily. Do you recommend increasing the %? Do you think the Mini is too small?

I'm have an IM 20 peninsula and the back chamber is very small. Not sure if any other model will fit back there.

Love to get your feedback.
The model D would be better for sure. However with regards to algae growing on the glass. This can take a while before it slows down. However, you could up the % of peroxide to 9% and even 12% just ensure you watch your animals when you do for signs of a negative reaction when/if you do. Increasing the number of catalysts has a similar affect to increasing the % of peroxide. If you use one catalyst in your mini adding another will double the peroxide being released so you will need to fill it more often of course.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back