Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What catalysts did you get and what % peroxide are you going to use in what water volume?
Sorry. I havent got any but was thinking either 3% or maybe 12%. My tank is 105 gallons plus another 30 or so in sump

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll @Lasse So if Im reading directions right I have the “A” with 2 catalysts and my tank is 105gallons so I should fill it with 12% hydrogen peroxide?
Depends on your stocking level and feeding. Try 9% with 2 catalysts if you like first. If all OK in a day or so move to 12%

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update:
It's been exactly one week since I connected the ORP probe to my Apex.
Predictably the readings were volatile, from the get go, initially starting below 150 mv.
However, since then the ORP has steadily increased to the point where it reached 444mv, earlier this morning.
While the overall clarity of my tank is indicative of a relatively high ORP, I did not expect a result this high.
I ordered a calibration solution made by Pinpoint, not to calibrate, but simply to check if my probe is accurate.
Moving forward; I'm expecting my Oxydator to arrive on Monday.
I know, based on previous posts, I may expect an initial drop in ORP.
However, after things stabilize, I'm concerned that if my current ORP readings are accurate, the addition of the H2O2 might eventually raise my ORP to ultra high levels.
Is there a cause for concern?
Given my current ORP level, what additional benefit might I get from the Oxydator?
Thanks
That does sound quite high redox to start from. Are you running ozone or other to get it that high? What would be your ideal ORP you wish to attain?

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well went to 3 different stores and 3% is strongest I could find. I can get it online. Should I even bother with the bottle of 3% I got while I wait for other to be delivered?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good place to check out. Great service and shipping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210410-174628_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210410-174628_Chrome.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 50

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sound quite high redox to start from. Are you running ozone or other to get it that high? What would be your ideal ORP you wish to attain?
I don't use Ozone.
Thought the Oxydator would be a safer, not to mention cheaper way of improving my tank.
Until I got the ORP probe I assumed the level in my tank was <300mv. I expected to get it in the 320 - 400 range. Had no idea it would be so high.
It hit 449mv last night so it does seem to be settling down.
Could my 4" DSB in the display and Miracle mud in the fuge be contributing to my high ORP?
I received the Oxydator today but I figure, I'll wait until I get the 400mv reference solution on Monday to validate my ORP readings.
Afterwards, I plan on starting with standard 3% H2O2.
What I hoped to achieve was higher level of water clarity and increased polyp extension (non existent in most colonies) in my Acros.
Assuming my ORP readings are accurate would I be doing more harm than good by using the Oxydator?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use Ozone.
Thought the Oxydator would be a safer, not to mention cheaper way of improving my tank.
Until I got the ORP probe I assumed the level in my tank was <300mv. I expected to get it in the 320 - 400 range. Had no idea it would be so high.
It hit 449mv last night so it does seem to be settling down.
Could my 4" DSB in the display and Miracle mud in the fuge be contributing to my high ORP?
I received the Oxydator today but I figure, I'll wait until I get the 400mv reference solution on Monday to validate my ORP readings.
Afterwards, I plan on starting with standard 3% H2O2.
What I hoped to achieve was higher level of water clarity and increased polyp extension (non existent in most colonies) in my Acros.
Assuming my ORP readings are accurate would I be doing more harm than good by using the Oxydator?
Difficult to be 100% 400mv is good. I wouldn't venture beyond 450/60 mg.
You should be getting decent polyp extension around 400mv. Wait till.you get your reference solution for your probe and take it from there once confirmed.
Check this article out.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to be 100% 400mv is good. I wouldn't venture beyond 450/60 mg.
You should be getting decent polyp extension around 400mv. Wait till.you get your reference solution for your probe and take it from there once confirmed.
Check this article out.
Oh yes.
I've read Randy's article-numerous times. 300 - 450 range was what concerned me since I was approaching the upper limit.
Last night I exceeded the upper limit, hitting a high of 458.
Of course that's unofficial. Should be getting the reference solution tomorrow and I'll take it from there.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes.
I've read Randy's article-numerous times. 300 - 450 range was what concerned me since I was approaching the upper limit.
Last night I exceeded the upper limit, hitting a high of 458.
Of course that's unofficial. Should be getting the reference solution tomorrow and I'll take it from there.
I assume you know what ORP actually means fin relation to your water quality and the relationship oxygen. Think of an Oxydator as you would ozone in that relationship.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Just received the Pinpoint 400mv reference solution.
I floated the packet in my tank before putting the probe in it.
I had been sort of hoping that my probe would run considerably above the 400, which might explain the very high ORP levels, my tank has experienced.
It turns out after placing the probe in the reference solution for 20+ minutes the range was from 406 - 416 mv. This seems well within the working performance of the probe.
Especially, if you consider that the solution is measured at 77F (25C). The temperature in my tank at the time of testing was 81F.
From my understanding that would raise the result (slightly?).
Essentially, the high ORP readings are valid, for my tank, albeit slightly exaggerated.
The one good thing is the readings seemed to have normalized between ~380 - 450mv in a 24 hour period.
At this point, can anyone see a benefit to running the Oxydator?
Or is there a greater potential for nuking my tank, by using it?
I had, originally, intended to start with a 3% solution and add catalysts if needed.
Now, if I use it at all, I might want to dilute the 3%.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up:
Since writing previous message, I checked the ORP readings, as the probe is still in the reference solution.
In the 40+ minutes since the initial test, the ORP has climbed to 434.
As I've never used this before, is keeping it in solution longer bring greater or less accuracy to the readings?
My understanding was that once opened the solution is good for awhile

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up:
Since writing previous message, I checked the ORP readings, as the probe is still in the reference solution.
In the 40+ minutes since the initial test, the ORP has climbed to 434.
As I've never used this before, is keeping it in solution longer bring greater or less accuracy to the readings?
My understanding was that once opened the solution is good for awhile
How old is the probe as although the probe initially showed within the range of the reference solution given it's continued to rise are you confident the probe is measuring correctly?
Regarding the Oxydator and peroxide. Your going into unknown (to me territory) I would try the 3% with one catalyst and simply monitor your ORP and watch your animals. Perhaps @Lasse could add his thoughts.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the Pinpoint instructions indicate the solution is accurate for 60 to 90 minutes after exposure to air.
It's been 60 minutes now and the reading is 428mv
How old is the probe as although the probe initially showed within the range of the reference solution given it's continued to rise are you confident the probe is measuring correctly?
Regarding the Oxydator and peroxide. Your going into unknown (to me territory) I would try the 3% with one catalyst and simply monitor your ORP and watch your animals. Perhaps @Lasse could add his thoughts.
It is a Vertex Redox Probe that was purchased brand new from a reliable vendor.

I was going to wait a day or 2 before posting but it seems I may have gotten more than I bargained for when I purchased the reference solution.
I kept it in the solution for near 90 minutes, then soaked briefly in RODI, followed by immersing in the aquarium.
The result was an immediate drop of 100mv to 300mv from the ~400mv that it was reading, just prior to using the reference solution.
Is it possible the reference solution somehow calibrated the probe. The current readings certainly appear more realistic.
The following are some screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-13-09-27-14.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-13-09-27-14.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_2021-04-13-09-29-45.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-13-09-29-45.png
    195.2 KB · Views: 43

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will wait a couple of days to insure that the current readings are stable.
If so, I will commence dosing @3%

Back