Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can´t get any information about the technology of their lamps. However they are probably low or medium pressure mercury lamps and those lamps is very effective to catalyst the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide.

As I see it - you have two options - either in the second or the third section. If you place it in the second - you will have very little uncatalyzed H2O2 in the tank water. Sometimes it could be a advantage and sometimes a disadvantage - IMO.

If you want an effective spread of active oxygen radicals in the aquarium - it is an advantage that the catalysis happens in the DT water - not in a tube. If you want 150 % effectiveness of your UVC light - its good with instant production of the radicals in the tube - IMO. By the way - you do not need to clean your UV-C if you use peroxide :D

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks @Lasse

From what you have said, placing it in the second section before the S1 pump that feeds the UVC would be optimal. I can't place it in the third section where the return pump is due to the PVC pipe I have at the bottom that connects my fresh water reservoir on both sides of my Sump. My L1 return pump just about fits in there.

DSCF1249.jpg

Placing in the DT would not look good aesthetically. :(

What disadvantage do you see as you hinted above?

Good to know about the UV cleaning, I wil inspects it in due course and see how clean it is when the time comes to service it.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not mine but a good friends Oxydator W when he refilled it and put in the sump of his 300gallon. 4 catalysts were used and 12% peroxide.

Just looking at that video, how would the acrylic container float when empty when there is a cable like orange item blocking it?

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right it wouldn't do. However the whole thing floats including the ceramic pot when empty.
Ok, thanks for clarifying it.
I should have mine delivered by next week.

also I won’t just take my UV offline straight away. I will run the W for 5-6 weeks and then if all goes well slowly reduce the time the uv is on. While making observations.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your right it wouldn't do. However the whole thing floats including the ceramic pot when empty.
Interesting I do not see bubbles like that from mine. is it because of the lighting when you filmed it? It might also be that I have higher flow in my sump?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I do not see bubbles like that from mine. is it because of the lighting when you filmed it? It might also be that I have higher flow in my sump?
Most of the bubbles are extremely fine and you might not see them unless the light catches them plus the production of the bubbles often occured when first the Oxydator is put in or refilled.
Shining a strong light at the Oxydator shortly after putting it in often reveals the multitude of fine bubbles exiting the Oxydator.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @atoll

Just requested membership in the Oxydator group.

Would like your advice:
Interested in getting an Oxydator, primarily to improve water quality, secondarily to get some polyp extension in my Acros.
Feel it's far safer than Ozone, which I couldn't implement in my tank anyway.
I have a 38 gallon display with HOB refugium and skimmer.
Allowing for rock and DSB there is about 35 gallons of water in the system.
It was suggested that the "D" model would be adequate for my purposes.
1. What would you consider the optimal # of catalysts and or the best % of H2O2 concentration, given my circumstances?
2. As I have no room in my display, the Oxydator would have to be placed in my HOB sump. There is only slightly more than 4" of width to my sump.
Would the D model fit?
3. Also cultivate Gracilaria (Red Ogo) in the sump using a Kessil H80 light. Does that present a problem?
4. Would Copepods be safe?

Thanks
David

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/ in a well stocked tank feeding say 3 times a day 9% and 1 catalyst in the model D.
2/ as the peroxide exits the D from the bottom you will be OK with 4" of water in your HOB.
3/Should not be a problem at all.
4/ Should not impact on pods in a negative way

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought a mini oxydator after having good results dosing hydrogen peroxide and finding this thread. For the price you can’t beat it. I’ve always averaged the 250 orp range and now I average 350. The tank looks much cleaner!

Attachments

• BB9F486D-BCF1-45AA-B1C4-63EDB069B7F4.png
    BB9F486D-BCF1-45AA-B1C4-63EDB069B7F4.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 41

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/ in a well stocked tank feeding say 3 times a day 9% and 1 catalyst in the model D.
2/ as the peroxide exits the D from the bottom you will be OK with 4" of water in your HOB.
3/Should not be a problem at all.
4/ Should not impact on pods in a negative way
Thanks for approving me in the Facebook group!
So if I wanted to add a catalyst and go 6% would that be roughly equivalent to 9% with one catalyst?

Regarding the sizing of the D model. I'm concerned with it's diameter.
As long as it's less than 4" I should be fine.

BTW I ordered an ORP probe (and a module to run it on my Apex).
When I install it, I'll let the readings adjust. By then I will have bought the Oxydator.
It should be an objective way of determining the effectiveness of the Oxydator.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a mini oxydator after having good results dosing hydrogen peroxide and finding this thread. For the price you can’t beat it. I’ve always averaged the 250 orp range and now I average 350. The tank looks much cleaner!
How big is your system?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for approving me in the Facebook group!
So if I wanted to add a catalyst and go 6% would that be roughly equivalent to 9% with one catalyst?

Regarding the sizing of the D model. I'm concerned with it's diameter.
As long as it's less than 4" I should be fine.

BTW I ordered an ORP probe (and a module to run it on my Apex).
When I install it, I'll let the readings adjust. By then I will have bought the Oxydator.
It should be an objective way of determining the effectiveness of the Oxydator.
2 catalysts will more or less double your release of peroxide compared to one catalyst. So in essence 6% peroxide with 2 catalysts will roughly do the same as 12% peroxide with one catalyst.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 catalysts will more or less double your release of peroxide compared to one catalyst. So in essence 6% peroxide with 2 catalysts will roughly do the same as 12% peroxide with one catalyst.
Thanks

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK
Did some online shopping and to my surprise I found that buying the 3% H2O2 at my local Target was far more cost effective than getting the 12% @ Amazon.
So the question becomes, would I be better of going for the 3% and add two catalysts to theoretically bring the concentration up to 9% or is there something I'm missing?
I imagine the H2O2 would go thru quicker, using 3 catalysts. But aside from that, are there any other issues?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK
Did some online shopping and to my surprise I found that buying the 3% H2O2 at my local Target was far more cost effective than getting the 12% @ Amazon.
So the question becomes, would I be better of going for the 3% and add two catalysts to theoretically bring the concentration up to 9% or is there something I'm missing?
I imagine the H2O2 would go thru quicker, using 3 catalysts. But aside from that, are there any other issues?
Yes you will need to refill your model D st s guess every 4 days using 3% peroxide and 3 catalysts. Temperature plays a part also on how much peroxide is used.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will need to refill your model D st s guess every 4 days using 3% peroxide and 3 catalysts. Temperature plays a part also on how much peroxide is used.
Great

I'll keep everyone posted, once I implement

KennethN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will actually make a big difference if you change your dose by changing numbers of catalysts or if you change H2O2 concentration.

For example, if you double the number of catalysts from 1 to 2 the amount of oxygen produced inside the oxydator will double and twice as much of H2O2-solution will be pushed out, so your dosage will be 2 times the original dose.
If you instead double the H2O2 percentage (leaving the number of catalyst unchanged), for example from 6% to 12%, you will also double the amount of oxygen produced inside the oxydator and twice as much of H2O2-solution will be pushed out. But, this solution is now 12% H2O2 instead of 6%, so the dosage of H2O2 to the water column will be 4 times the original dose.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK
As a prelude to setting up the Oxydator, I did some research concerning the shelf life of H2O2:
Apparently, 3% hydrogen peroxide has a shelf life of 3 years, unopened. Once it's opened, maybe 6 months.
However, a 35% concentrate has an unopened shelf life of about a year. Once it's opened about 6 weeks.
Might not be that big a deal for people with larger tanks, but when you get in the Nano range it can become cost prohibitive, as, I would expect, most of the H2O2 would dissipate, before it could be put to use.
Aside from the obvious precautions, such as keeping in a cool area and not exposing to light are there any other tips to maintaining the shelf life after opening.
Would you say, for example, diluting a 35% concentration to a lesser dose, extend the life of the H2O2?
BTW, I have an open bottle of H2O2 (3%) which I purchased within the last year. I performed the "sink" test; poured some in the sink and there was no bubbling, which is an indicator it has turned to water. If the 3% solution lost its effectiveness so quickly, I can only imagine what can happen with a concentrated one.
All the more reason to use 3% H2O2 and supplement with additional catalysts.
Unfortunately, theshrimptank.com are currently out of the regular sized catalysts. Does anybody know where I might get them in the US?
They do, however, have the mini catalysts. Does anyone have an idea how many of them might be the equivalent of a normal sized catalyst?
Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back