Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first Oxydator A from The Shrimp Tank! Setup with diluted 6% hydrogen peroxide and one catalyst to get started.

After 4 days, noticing my cyano receding. Wondering when I can use stronger strength HP and another catalyst?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ORP value tell you if there is either oxidative or reducing processes that is active. If it is over 0 - the oxidative processes dominate and the opposite if the reducing processes dominate. From the books

Oxidation occurs when a reactant loses electrons during the reaction. Reduction occurs when a reactant gains electrons during the reaction.

These processes happens all the time and it is the sum of these reactions that you see as the ORP potential. In a natural system - you can never distinct exactly what happens. If you in a natural system have an ORP of 450 - IMO - you are not in danger. However - if you in a natural system with ORP around 300 or lower put in a highly oxidative compound like Ozone and the ORP rise up to 450 - you can be in danger because Ozone will break down into oxygen radicals that affect biological life. De facto - Ozone can be dangerous in lower ORP to - if that is mainly the Ozone that is responsible for the ORP value. Therefore - rise ORP slowly with Ozone. If your normal ORP is around 300 - you maybe should rise it to 320 with Ozone and stop there for a while and after that adjust slowly up to 360 - 400 mV.

Peroxide is more tricky - if you add this - your ORP will in the first moment dip and IMO - it is because the H2O2 lose its extra O and oxygen radicals is formed. When they start to oxidize different substances - the ORP will rise but the dangerous oxygen radicals will be depleted. Hence - if you see a radical dip when adding peroxide - it could be to much breaking down to fast. Oxydators is a good tool to note do local overdoses. Often - when you start with new filled containers - you will see a dip and after that the redox potential will rise with time - this is the last time I load my oxydator. Note the daily swings that is opposite synced with the pH.

1618340179132.png

A closer look. The read marking shows the ORP when my oxidator is empty - no peroxide in it. The dip - just filled with 11 % H2O2 and 3 catalyst. Blue - the redox with 11% H2O2 and 3 catalyst. I took around a day after the dip - after that back to the normal levels. as you can see not huge difference in the ORP with and without 11 % peroxide in the oxydator

1618341002241.png

ORP is a fruit measurement - you know its fruit but not which type of fruit.

Another experiences - redox probes take some time before they adapt if they are in another solution or up in the air. If I clean my electrode - it will take 2-4 days begore it is in normal condition again.

I do not think you need to worry to much with 3 % and 2 catalyst. The ORP does not have the same importance with peroxide as it has with ozone - IMO

Sincerely Lasse

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ORP value tell you if there is either oxidative or reducing processes that is active. If it is over 0 - the oxidative processes dominate and the opposite if the reducing processes dominate. From the books

These processes happens all the time and it is the sum of these reactions that you see as the ORP potential. In a natural system - you can never distinct exactly what happens. If you in a natural system have an ORP of 450 - IMO - you are not in danger. However - if you in a natural system with ORP around 300 or lower put in a highly oxidative compound like Ozone and the ORP rise up to 450 - you can be in danger because Ozone will break down into oxygen radicals that affect biological life. De facto - Ozone can be dangerous in lower ORP to - if that is mainly the Ozone that is responsible for the ORP value. Therefore - rise ORP slowly with Ozone. If your normal ORP is around 300 - you maybe should rise it to 320 with Ozone and stop there for a while and after that adjust slowly up to 360 - 400 mV.

Peroxide is more tricky - if you add this - your ORP will in the first moment dip and IMO - it is because the H2O2 lose its extra O and oxygen radicals is formed. When they start to oxidize different substances - the ORP will rise but the dangerous oxygen radicals will be depleted. Hence - if you see a radical dip when adding peroxide - it could be to much breaking down to fast. Oxydators is a good tool to note do local overdoses. Often - when you start with new filled containers - you will see a dip and after that the redox potential will rise with time - this is the last time I load my oxydator. Note the daily swings that is opposite synced with the pH.

1618340179132.png

A closer look. The read marking shows the ORP when my oxidator is empty - no peroxide in it. The dip - just filled with 11 % H2O2 and 3 catalyst. Blue - the redox with 11% H2O2 and 3 catalyst. I took around a day after the dip - after that back to the normal levels. as you can see not huge difference in the ORP with and without 11 % peroxide in the oxydator

1618341002241.png

ORP is a fruit measurement - you know its fruit but not which type of fruit.

Another experiences - redox probes take some time before they adapt if they are in another solution or up in the air. If I clean my electrode - it will take 2-4 days begore it is in normal condition again.

I do not think you need to worry to much with 3 % and 2 catalyst. The ORP does not have the same importance with peroxide as it has with ozone - IMO

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks for the info Lasse
I was intending on waiting 2 days for the ORP to normalize. To be on the safe side, I'll wait four.
Just one thing:
How much of an initial decline in ORP is something I should be concerned about?
If the decline is great, would I remove Oxydator or might I dilute the H2O2?
Thanks
David

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the an event like I show in my graph - no concern. But - by mistake - I once dosed 25 ml 12% H2O2 into my aquarium - it took 20days to recover the same ORP value. The corals reacted strongly the first days but recover very well. From 425 to 287 mV, The blue marks is filling of the oxydator

1618390474069.png

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5 day update and all I can say is WOW!!!! I was only able to use 3% while I wait for stronger to be delivered but I already have a big die off of my cyano on sandbed. I really just got this for overall health of tank/fish but didn’t know it would also help with cyano. I haven’t tested o2 yet but will this week sometime.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a question. I am running a w model on my 120 and I checked the container this morning and it still had a little less than 1/4 peroxide left in it after around5 weeks since last refill. I run 2 catalyst and use 12% peroxide. My question is, does the peroxide weaken as it is used up and would it make sense to throw out the small amount left and refill with fresh peroxide? Also, I am wondering if I can add another catalyst to keep the dosage more consistent. It seems like the peroxide is taking a long time to be used up.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Had waited almost 3 days and found ORP stabilized to 273 - 316 mv range in that timeframe.
Accordingly, I decided to begin use of the Oxydator.
I am starting with a 3% solution with a single catalyst in a "D" Oxydator.
ORP at the time of addition was 305 mv. It shot up to 370 mv within minutes.
Since then, the ORP is in a 360 - 370 range.
No discernible effect on corals.
It could be my imagination, but my Yellow Tang and Flame Angel seemed quite active as I approached the tank. Apparently, they wanted to be fed. Unusual, considering I had fed them just prior to the addition of the Oxydator - usually they become somewhat complacent after eating.
Will monitor.

Screenshot_2021-04-15-11-07-09.png

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a model D in the return chamber of the sump on a 30 cube. I'm using 6% with one catalyst in a lightly stocked mixed reef. In over 6 weeks the H2O2 level has barely dropped in the reservoir, and I've noticed no improvement in the film algae and GHA that I've been battling.

I'm ok with H2O2 perhaps not being the solution to my algae problems, but how can I be sure that the device is functioning properly? Is it normal for the H202 to be consumed so slowly?

Thx

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a model D in the return chamber of the sump on a 30 cube. I'm using 6% with one catalyst in a lightly stocked mixed reef. In over 6 weeks the H2O2 level has barely dropped in the reservoir, and I've noticed no improvement in the film algae and GHA that I've been battling.

I'm ok with H2O2 perhaps not being the solution to my algae problems, but how can I be sure that the device is functioning properly? Is it normal for the H202 to be consumed so slowly?

Thx
You could try to increase the % H2O2 and/or add another catalyst. For reference, I'm running a model W with 2 catalysts and 12% H2O2 (~24oz solution) on a 300g sps reef with a moderate bioload. I could probably add the 3rd catalyst but it doesn't seem necessary at this time. Les may weigh in with more knowledgeable insight than me.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thx
I would suggest there is something not quite right here. I would expect 6% with 1 catalyst to last no more than 2 weeks. Either the % of peroxide has diminished or you have a defective catalyst. How do you store your peroxide? It should be in a cool dark place. If you are happy the peroxide has retained its % then I would buy another catalyst and try that.

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest there is something not quite right here. I would expect 6% with 1 catalyst to last no more than 2 weeks. Either the % of peroxide has diminished or you have a defective catalyst. How do you store your peroxide? It should be in a cool dark place. If you are happy the peroxide has retained its % then I would buy another catalyst and try that.
Appreciate the feedback. The peroxide was from a brand new bottle, so I suspect a bad catalyst. Anyone know where to get replacement catalysts? The Shrimp Tank is currently out of stock.

Thanks again

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the feedback. The peroxide was from a brand new bottle, so I suspect a bad catalyst. Anyone know where to get replacement catalysts? The Shrimp Tank is currently out of stock.

Thanks again
UK eBay or seahorsebreeder UK shipping shouldn't cost much.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a gallon of 12% not realizing peroxide breaks down quickly after opening. I'm reading in 1-6 months. I'm using an Oxydator D in a 28.5g AIO. The plan was to dilute to 6% and have probably 2 years worth of peroxide..lol! Looks like I'm gonna have lots of extra cleaning power for the rest of the year instead.

How long have you all noticed your peroxide lasts after opening? Is there anyway to test it? Are there any good options for small bottles in bulk? Peroxide isn't a huge expense, but I do prefer bulk in this hobby to save cash and time.

Thanks!

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a gallon of 12% not realizing peroxide breaks down quickly after opening. I'm reading in 1-6 months. I'm using an Oxydator D in a 28.5g AIO. The plan was to dilute to 6% and have probably 2 years worth of peroxide..lol! Looks like I'm gonna have lots of extra cleaning power for the rest of the year instead.

How long have you all noticed your peroxide lasts after opening? Is there anyway to test it? Are there any good options for small bottles in bulk? Peroxide isn't a huge expense, but I do prefer bulk in this hobby to save cash and time.

Thanks!
A 5ltr container of 12% last me about 5months using it at full strength. I can't say I have noticed it dropping off in that time. Keep it in a cool dark place.

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Do I understand correctly that the use of an oxydator will add pure oxygen to the water, thus increasing the PH?

Will it have the same effect as using a co2 scrubber?
I understand that a scrubber increases the PH by removing Co2 from the air, thereby decreasing the amount of CO2 and increasing the amount of oxygen due to this.

The oxydator does not remove co2, but it does add oxygen. Could an oxidizer be as effective for raising PH as a CO2 scrubber?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Do I understand correctly that the use of an oxydator will add pure oxygen to the water, thus increasing the PH?

I understand that a scrubber increases the PH by removing Co2 from the air, thereby decreasing the amount of CO2 and increasing the amount of oxygen due to this.

The oxydator does not remove co2, but it does add oxygen. Could an oxidizer be as effective for raising PH as a CO2 scrubber?
Nope - oxygen have nothing to do with the pH - will not affect the pH in any way

Sincerely Lasse

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Oxydators neither remove CO2 not raise PH directly according to the manufacturer's

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back