Apex jr outlets dead?

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an old apex jr that I have had in use since 2014. Bought it on secondary market, so not sure how long it was in use before that. Can't complain, got good use out of it.
Came home a few days ago and there was no power on the tank.
GFCI tripped. Breaker on the apex did not, breaker at the panel did not.

I reset the GFCI, and everything came back minutes the lights and heater(plugged into the 4 outlets on the controller unit).

I've done full reboots, moved the plug that the unit is plugged into (since I still have full control, and have temp and amp readings), tried resetting with only a single item plugged in at a time to try to isolate the issue, and I have the lights and heater running on no-apex outlets (on same GFCI outlet w/o tripping it) all running w/o issue.

Send to me that there is something specific with the unit itself.

Anything else I should be checking/troubleshoot?

Will probably run it through everything over more time today for my own sanity check with a separate powerstrip before I call it dead.

Not sure if it is worth sending in the repair, if that is even an option. Considering grabbing another EB8 used to add and pick up the load. Probably the least costly option, since I definitely did not budget for replacing my controller.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Time for upgrade and worth it. The breaker if outlet issue should have reset with the button. Have you tried plugging into wall directly as it may be the GFCI or breaker to the outlet ?

@SuncrestReef

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would def do eB8 and yea my apex jr around the same year just died and sent in for repair and died like 3 weeks later

Like, completely dead? I know it's an older unit, would suck to buy another EB8 and then have the unit completely die.
Time for upgrade and worth it. The breaker if outlet issue should have reset with the button. Have you tried plugging into wall directly as it may be the GFCI or breaker to the outlet ?

@SuncrestReef
Definitely not the breaker at the panel, and the breaker in the unit can't be reset so I assume it didn't trip. It doesn't push in or anything. I am planning on trying it out on some other outlets today just to confirm.

I would love to upgrade, maybe go to the ApexEL...just a lot of money that I wasn't planning on spending. Like...at all.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like, completely dead? I know it's an older unit, would suck to buy another EB8 and then have the unit completely die.

Definitely not the breaker at the panel, and the breaker in the unit can't be reset so I assume it didn't trip. It doesn't push in or anything. I am planning on trying it out on some other outlets today just to confirm.

I would love to upgrade, maybe go to the ApexEL...just a lot of money that I wasn't planning on spending. Like...at all.
Even an apex classic would work

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Further, methodical troubleshooting isolated the issue to a single outlet on the unit. So I can shuffle some things and got it back up. But probably need to look at planning a replacement.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back