APEX PAR meter PMK

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i am setting up a new tank, i will be getting a par meter and most likely the PMK. questions i have are as follows:

1. does anyone really need to leave the PAR meter in the tank 24/7?
2. if you do leave it in tank can you have multiple? or more over why would you?
3. if i am buying a high quality LED (AP700) do i need a par meter after the initial setup?
4. if the answers to these questions all show you only need them every once in a blue moon does the reef club members have one used that goes from reef to reef?

i think that is all of my questions for now

MegaZombi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No. But I do.
2. Yes, probably. You wouldn't.
3. Doesn't hurt. It'll help dial in your coral growth response to par and give you a baseline for par versus tank depth. Helps with coral placement options.
4. I wouldn't borrow this expensive device out to strangers.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave mine in because why not. I’ve got no other use for it. I like that it can let me know when my light/water penetration starts getting bad and need a water change or some carbon. It’s gratifying to see PAR increase after putting in some fresh carbo letting you know there was some value to it. I also like to know how light is gettin to some area of the tank and ensure corals get what they need. Also, since my Kessil AP700s are not connected to the APEX I can see when I’m away that corals are getting light and they are working properly.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, that was some great information, thanks

so next question is are you using the rock that comes with it and moving that around as needed, or are you using a adapter to move it? or some other methods of best practice.
another thing i was wondering about the Seneye reef monitor as it also measures ammonia to boot, would this be a better solution?

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my PMK a few days ago and its important to know how much Par my SPS are receiving. I have been keeping the sensor in the tank and monitoring increase Par intensity during the day is cool. I also purchased a Apogee wand which I should receive today. Now I will be able to measure par in hard to get locations throughout my tank. I suggest you use the Par meter with a display. With the display you get real time readings where in Fusion you have a delayed reading when moving the sensor.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i am setting up a new tank, i will be getting a par meter and most likely the PMK. questions i have are as follows:

1. does anyone really need to leave the PAR meter in the tank 24/7?
2. if you do leave it in tank can you have multiple? or more over why would you?
3. if i am buying a high quality LED (AP700) do i need a par meter after the initial setup?
4. if the answers to these questions all show you only need them every once in a blue moon does the reef club members have one used that goes from reef to reef?

i think that is all of my questions for now
1. You don't have to, but I do. I have to occasionally scrape corraline off the sensor face.
2. I suppose you could, buts it's mobile for a reason.
3. You can set it up before if you're replacing something else to get a picture of what your par is now and after.
4. I'd lend mine to anyone that happens to be in my area, which there isn't.

Mageau11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my PMK a few days ago and its important to know how much Par my SPS are receiving. I have been keeping the sensor in the tank and monitoring increase Par intensity during the day is cool. I also purchased a Apogee wand which I should receive today. Now I will be able to measure par in hard to get locations throughout my tank. I suggest you use the Par meter with a display. With the display you get real time readings where in Fusion you have a delayed reading when moving the sensor.

I just picked up my PMK today. Did the Apogee wand work with the PMK sensor?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the PMK to be of marginal use frankly. Fine if it's the last module you buy, but there are many others of far greater utility. Has anyone actually adjusted their lights based on the measurements? I have not.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back