Apex salinity probe calibration

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've purchased brand new apex end of last year kept it in the box since as I was waiting for a new tank. So last night I've set everything up and I'm having hard time calibrating the salinity probe, even the first try when the probe was completely dry still failed, did tap the probe to get all the air out etc after multiple fails last night I left it to dry overnight. This morning same story it will settle the reading but next to "acceptable range" still have the red triangle. Any ideas how to get this sorted I'll order some new sachets for calibration is there anything else? I've seen people doing manual calibration but not sure how that works as I'm new to Apex. Any help is much appreciated thanks

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to owning an Apex! The salinity probes are a bit wonky. My suggestion:
Soak your calibration packet in your tank water to get it to temperature. Then run the calibration. If it fails, do it in manual mode.
The probe is very sensitive to bubbles, so make sure there aren't any. Also, I've learned that my probe and actual readings will never match. So, I use the probe as an alert system instead of the actual reading. So, if it's saying my water is 35.5ppm (even though it's actually 35ppm), and it drops to 34.5ppm, I know that I've had a significant drop. That's all I really need to know.

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've purchased brand new apex end of last year kept it in the box since as I was waiting for a new tank. So last night I've set everything up and I'm having hard time calibrating the salinity probe, even the first try when the probe was completely dry still failed, did tap the probe to get all the air out etc after multiple fails last night I left it to dry overnight. This morning same story it will settle the reading but next to "acceptable range" still have the red triangle. Any ideas how to get this sorted I'll order some new sachets for calibration is there anything else? I've seen people doing manual calibration but not sure how that works as I'm new to Apex. Any help is much appreciated thanks
Follow these steps

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between automatic and manual salinity probe calibration?

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Salinity probe is terrible, dont even bother with it.
Disagreed. Mine has been fantastic. Ever since I followed a thread on here and started calibrating with tank water, it's been working great (knock on wood) and stays calibrated for months and months on end.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue I had was I didnt know its a 2 step calibration. First in "open air" and then into the calibration solution. All the other probes I have start you off with placing the probe into the solution first.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back