Apex Temp Setting

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is best to keep temps at 78
My question is on the Apex what do you have your temp range set to?

Mine is:
on temp: 77
off temp: 79

Should I tighten the temp gap or just leave it as is?

I have the $100 calibrated thermometer from BRS so I'm very confident that the temp is 99% accurate.

What is your temp range set to?

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tightened the gap to 0.5 deg on a new 300w EBO Jager and killed it in 29 days. I now set at 77.2 to 78.2 or 1 deg.
I had my Finnex Titanium Heather set at 77.5 / 78.5 and I honestly got tired of hearing the clicking sound of the apex turning on and off all day. Which is why I changed to a 1 degree range.

Im surprised that your Jager heater failed. Ive never had one but I was going to go with a Jager if they were shorter.
I needed a 10" or shorter to fit in my 40 gallon AIO frag tank. So the Finnex Titanium Heather fit perfectly.

Daryl.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours is set at:
If Temp < 78.2 Then ON
If Temp > 78.4 Then OFF
We have a Finnex Titanium Heather, I haven't had any issues with clicking sounds. Works like a charm.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clicking is not the heater itself, just when the apex "plug" turns off or on as the temp goes up or down

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was surprised the Jager failed. First one in 10 years. They are supposed to hold within 0.5 deg but I had the apex doing the control or maybe it was a dud but I like them.

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two heaters running on alternate days. I also use the Apex Seasonal Table. Running for five years with the same two heaters (Finnex Titanium 500w) and have them set to turn on at the set temperature and turn off at .2 degrees above the set temperature.

Heater 1:
Fallback OFF
If T_Sump < RT+0.0 Then ON
If T_Sump > RT+0.2 Then OFF
If DoW M-W-F Then OFF

Heater 2:
Fallback OFF
If DoW S-T-T-S Then OFF

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my finnex plugged into 6_8 and do not hear it clicking on and off. I guess I have not paid attention to the cycle
Apex temp.PNG

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallback OFF
If Tmp < 75.1 Then ON
If Tmp > 75.7 Then OFF

So the temp varies from 75 to 75.8.
After about April 15th I suspect the heater will no longer click on due to climate change, ie Spring. :)

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my finnex plugged into 6_8 and do not hear it clicking on and off. I guess I have not paid attention to the cycle
Apex temp.PNG
[/QUOTE

What is 6_8?

I have the apex JR and a EB8, should I plug my heater into one of the 10A plugs to stop hearing the clicking sound?

The heater itself is not clicking It is the Apex cutting the plug on/off

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read on the Apex site that

"the EB8 used mechanical relays which do make a click when they are turned on or off."

...although I'm not sure If its my Apex JR Unit clicking on/off or my EB8. I will have to mess with it tonight. I'm assuming its my Apex Jr since it was doing this before I had my EB8

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two heaters running on alternate days. I also use the Apex Seasonal Table. Running for five years with the same two heaters (Finnex Titanium 500w) and have them set to turn on at the set temperature and turn off at .2 degrees above the set temperature.

Heater 1:
Fallback OFF
If DoW M-W-F Then OFF

Heater 2:
Fallback OFF
If DoW S-T-T-S Then OFF
Where do you establish the value of RT? I'm new to Apex and have been looking for ways to program my heaters such that they alternate while serving as a back-up for each other.

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seasonal Table is accessed through the Apex interface... I refer to this as my "local" interface vs. Fusion. I don't think Fusion shows the table.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is simply

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Tmp <RT+0.0 Then ON

It keeps a very narrow range. Right now it kicks on .1 degrees under and off when it hits it. So on the cold nights I'm not worried about temperature fluctuation, it holds within a .2 degree window.

The Seasonal Table is preset by Neptune but I know on the Apex Classic it can be adjusted. I don't think it can be adjusted on the new Apex (2016) yet but maybe @Terence can inform us if it can be.

@jsker out of curiosity why do you have your heater set with Feed modes?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is simply

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Tmp <RT+0.0 Then ON

It keeps a very narrow range. Right now it kicks on .1 degrees under and off when it hits it. So on the cold nights I'm not worried about temperature fluctuation, it holds within a .2 degree window.

The Seasonal Table is preset by Neptune but I know on the Apex Classic it can be adjusted. I don't think it can be adjusted on the new Apex (2016) yet but maybe @Terence can inform us if it can be.

@jsker out of curiosity why do you have your heater set with Feed modes?
I turn off the heater in C and D since all of the pumps are shut down during maintenance using the C and D feed cycle.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my Finnex Titanium Heather set at 77.5 / 78.5 and I honestly got tired of hearing the clicking sound of the apex turning on and off all day. Which is why I changed to a 1 degree range.

Im surprised that your Jager heater failed. Ive never had one but I was going to go with a Jager if they were shorter.
I needed a 10" or shorter to fit in my 40 gallon AIO frag tank. So the Finnex Titanium Heather fit perfectly.
you didn't specify but just in case, if you have audible "clicks" coming from your eb8 double check that you don't have the heaters plugged into 4 or 8 which are the outlets that have the mechanical relays built into them. those are better for devices that require constant power (return pump, ato).
also, i agree with your comment. no heater that fails in a month was going to last over time anyway.
edit: duhhh... i missed an entire page of replies and just mirrored what others had said i see now lol.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is 6_8?

I have the apex JR and a EB8, should I plug my heater into one of the 10A plugs to stop hearing the clicking sound?

The heater itself is not clicking It is the Apex cutting the plug on/off

I have the heater plugged into the 8th outlet on one of my EB8's and I do not here the click when the heater clicks on and off. I have a EB4 and I could hear is clicking when it turns components off and on. The 4 and 8 outlet on the EB8 is a static on and for switch 1-3 and 5-7 are different types of out lets and you can try using one of the 10 amp outlets.

If you have not read about the different outlet types here is some more information below

apex plugs info.PNG

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched my heater to EB 7 instead of 8

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you didn't specify but just in case, if you have audible "clicks" coming from your eb8 double check that you don't have the heaters plugged into 4 or 8 which are the outlets that have the mechanical relays built into them. those are better for devices that require constant power (return pump, ato).
also, i agree with your comment. no heater that fails in a month was going to last over time anyway.
edit: duhhh... i missed an entire page of replies and just mirrored what others had said i see now lol.

I have my heater plugged intio the 1st plug on my Apex JR. I only have a mp40 and my t5's plugged into the EB8

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my 300 watt jagers are in my overflow box, only place I can fit the 17" beasts,lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back