Apex with a CO2 Scrubber Solenoid

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience using a CO2 Scrubber and an apex with a solenoid? Trying to keep my PH higher. It drops under 8 at night and early in the day, gets to about 8.2 later in the afternoon. Trying to figure out where to start.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just keep the scrubber running 100% of the time? If you are trying to mitigate the daily swing and worry that it'll get too high during the day then i dont think that'll be a big concern bc the scrubber works by relative concentration - meaning the higher the concentration, the more co2 it takes out. Also, pH scale is exponential, not linear. Both of these factors mean you won't see a linear relationship in the scrubbers impact between the low point vs high point. Ie, if scrubber brings your pH from 7.8 to 8.1 at night, it doesn't mean that it bring it from 8.2 to 8.5 during the high point.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just keep the scrubber running 100% of the time? If you are trying to mitigate the daily swing and worry that it'll get too high during the day then i dont think that'll be a big concern bc the scrubber works by relative concentration - meaning the higher the concentration, the more co2 it takes out. Also, pH scale is exponential, not linear. Both of these factors mean you won't see a linear relationship in the scrubbers impact between the low point vs high point. Ie, if scrubber brings your pH from 7.8 to 8.1 at night, it doesn't mean that it bring it from 8.2 to 8.5 during the high point.

hmmm...ok. So a basic ball valve opened up a little could do it?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just tube my co2 scrubber "out" tube directly into my skimmer air intake. I made mine recirculate so also connected a tube from the skimmer collection cup cap into the scrubber "in" tube.

I guess if you want some kind of air flow control, a valve would work.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just tube my co2 scrubber "out" tube directly into my skimmer air intake. I made mine recirculate so also connected a tube from the skimmer collection cup cap into the scrubber "in" tube.

I guess if you want some kind of air flow control, a valve would work.

So how do you control the "Co2 scrubbing" if its just directly into it? Like control the PH?

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 24v solenoid connected to a 24v port on the EB832. The solenoid is connected to a Y fitting in front of the CO2 scrubber. It is normally closed which causes air to be pulled through the CO2 scrubber. When the PH gets to high, the Apex turns on the solenoid causing the air to go through it instead of the scrubber. which lowers the pH

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you control the "Co2 scrubbing" if its just directly into it? Like control the PH?
I have yet to experience pH being "too high" due to scrubbing and the need to turn it off or control it with a controller b/c often times its quite the opposite where even with scrubber it doesn't get it high enough b/c it has to work against the other surface exchange (overflow, DT wavemaker, etc) that's actively exchanging more CO2 (assuming the cause of high CO2 is high ambient room air) back into your tank. But, i guess each tank is different so if your situation is lucky enough where the scrubber is "too effective", you can do what @yman182 suggested above to set up an automatic control.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the issue that if I let the scrubber run wild, my pH will go to 8.5+, which is why I installed the solenoid.
what's ur secret lol? my scrubber barely gets the job done topping out at 8.2. I don't wanna hijack this thread so feel free to pm me.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.2 is pretty good. have you tried running a fresh airline into your skimmer?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.2 is pretty good. have you tried running a fresh airline into your skimmer?
yup, tried that - i think mine has to do with the "good" air exchange inside the skimmer and it just can't keep up with the rest of the "bad" air exchange in the rest of my system. i'm content with where its now, swing between 8.1 - 8.2 just jealous of the people that can consistently maintain it at 8.3. =P

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a great article from Randy about chasing the PH. if you are 8.1 to 8.2 your in the zone man! Don't get crazy with Co2 Scrubbers. Ive been there. The Media is expensive and you have to keep the bottom of the canister moist for it to be effective and not exhaust the media quickly...

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a great article from Randy about chasing the PH. if you are 8.1 to 8.2 your in the zone man! Don't get crazy with Co2 Scrubbers. Ive been there. The Media is expensive and you have to keep the bottom of the canister moist for it to be effective and not exhaust the media quickly...

Well, my main issue is I feel like I'm losing potential for growth for coral since I am only around 8.1-8.2 for maybe 1/3 of the day.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my main issue is I feel like I'm losing potential for growth for coral since I am only around 8.1-8.2 for maybe 1/3 of the day.
are you dosing Alk daily? if so r you already using sodium carbonate? i found that if you just need to boost it slightly (.1 - .2) range, this is an effective alternative, esp if you spread the doses to multiple smaller doses every few hours at night when it's low. This is what i do to keep it at mostly a .1 swing between day/night. offcycle fuge also helps.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you dosing Alk daily? if so r you already using sodium carbonate? i found that if you just need to boost it slightly (.1 - .2) range, this is an effective alternative, esp if you spread the doses to multiple smaller doses every few hours at night when it's low. This is what i do to keep it at mostly a .1 swing between day/night. offcycle fuge also helps.

I use kalk, Sitting at 9.0 alk.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 8.1 to 8.2 I don't think you would be loosing growth!

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...Can you post a pic of your setup?

That is my worry. Is it adjustable based on the amount of media you put in? Like GFO?

here is my setup
6455A14B-1819-4045-882C-D1930374964E.jpeg

43AEA922-D103-48CB-897F-A192511AD2FF.jpeg

I don’t think it is adjustable. I believe the more media you have the longer it will last.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back