Api melafix supriprising results

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently add an emperor Angel. Developed Ich after a week. I have copper but thought I'd give melafix a try even though it doesn't say for treatment of Ich. Also didn't have time to move the angel and start
copper and setup the quarantine tank. To my surprise, the Ich is significantly less in just 3 days. Anyone else ever use melafix and it actually cure Ich?

IMG_20220830_123312872.jpg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because the spots are gone/lessened doesn't mean much.
read up on the life cycle of ICH. it goes through different stages, spots on your fish is only one stage. The ICH may have just gone to the next stage.

I use melafix as a coral dip, but have never tried it to treat ICH, for that I only use copper power. Melafix does work good as a coral dip though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I recently add an emperor Angel. Developed Ich after a week. I have copper but thought I'd give melafix a try even though it doesn't say for treatment of Ich. Also didn't have time to move the angel and start
copper and setup the quarantine tank. To my surprise, the Ich is significantly less in just 3 days. Anyone else ever use melafix and it actually cure Ich?

Ich - due to its life-cycle will come an go. With or without treatment. In tanks with high stocking density, as it 'falls off' - thousands of new infectious particles will eventually find your fish again - in all likelihood. I am not going to give an opinion as to whether melafix is effective or not - since I haven't researched it - my gut feeling is - be prepared for a new outbreak. BTW - Nice fish. Best wishes

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW - some may find this interesting - (I'm not going to use the scientific terms for the different CI stages - because it gets confusing for everyone). But - CI (Ich - Cryptocaryon irritans) - is actually interesting.

A particle infects a fish - and eventually generates the 'white spot' - after growing a bit. This is then released from the fish - (and as it's on the fish - probably gives at least SOME immunity to that fish). This occurs usually in the early AM hours (like after 2AM). Fish tend to sleep in the same spot every night - Thus - the particles are released from the fish - and the secondary particles - fall to the area near there. They form cysts - which can last for days (not going to get into how many days) - but days - during which time they are making more infectious particles perhaps hundreds per original particle. Then when the fish comes back - they are re-infected - this time with more.

The moral of the story - and this is my personal observation/opinion - FLOW - in the tank is important. It takes the particles away from the original release point - and when the now highly multiplied infectious particles are re-released - they are going to be passed far away from the fish.

Stocking density (again IMHO) - is a big reason why some tanks have 'no problems with 'ich management'' - whereas others do. The more fish - the more surface area for infection - and thus the more infections (they are Theronts OK OK I did it) - that are going to released near their prior fish host.

I clownfish in a 500gallon tank with CI - is not likely to be re-infected. 5000 clowns in a 500 gallon tank with Ci is likely to be a disaster.

My editorial comments:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

May be coincidental As Melafix is teak tree oil and considered a tonic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is that xx percent of people that used it had great results - and xx percent had poor results - The problem is there a study - I couldn't find one. This is not a slam against melafix. Merely kind of correlation/causation comment

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to work catching the fish and put them in a QT tank with a proper copper treatment for 30 days.

Your DT will need to be fallowed now too.

OP
OP
Naso110

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was aware that it was tea tree oil. Honestly don't know how I ended up with it. Possibly in one of the many tank buy outs I've done over the years. Hopefully not a coincidence but you may be right.

OP
OP
Naso110

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to work catching the fish and put them in a QT tank with a proper copper treatment for 30 days.

Your DT will need to be fallowed now too.
Yeah I'm aware of the correct process, I haven't had Ich outbreak in years. Just hate to put everyone QT. It might be easier to remove the half dozen junk "beginner" coral I stuck in there and treat the display. Thoughts?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I'm aware of the correct process, I haven't had Ich outbreak in years. Just hate to put everyone QT. It might be easier to remove the half dozen junk "beginner" coral I stuck in there and treat the display. Thoughts?
Unless you can make it a 'bare tank' - the issues with removing residual copper might be far more difficult than removing the fish

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT will be your best bet. rocks and sand will absorb copper and will then re-release them back over time. will making keeping any corals or inverts in that tank pretty tough.

A bare QT tank with a couple PVC elbows for caves, a simple HOB and airstone and heater is all you need. You don't want anything that will absorb any of your meds or anything that will be hard to clean. save your sand and rocks for your DT. keep your QT tank bare for the most part.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - some may find this interesting - (I'm not going to use the scientific terms for the different CI stages - because it gets confusing for everyone). But - CI (Ich - Cryptocaryon irritans) - is actually interesting.

A particle infects a fish - and eventually generates the 'white spot' - after growing a bit. This is then released from the fish - (and as it's on the fish - probably gives at least SOME immunity to that fish). This occurs usually in the early AM hours (like after 2AM). Fish tend to sleep in the same spot every night - Thus - the particles are released from the fish - and the secondary particles - fall to the area near there. They form cysts - which can last for days (not going to get into how many days) - but days - during which time they are making more infectious particles perhaps hundreds per original particle. Then when the fish comes back - they are re-infected - this time with more.

The moral of the story - and this is my personal observation/opinion - FLOW - in the tank is important. It takes the particles away from the original release point - and when the now highly multiplied infectious particles are re-released - they are going to be passed far away from the fish.

Stocking density (again IMHO) - is a big reason why some tanks have 'no problems with 'ich management'' - whereas others do. The more fish - the more surface area for infection - and thus the more infections (they are Theronts OK OK I did it) - that are going to released near their prior fish host.

I clownfish in a 500gallon tank with CI - is not likely to be re-infected. 5000 clowns in a 500 gallon tank with Ci is likely to be a disaster.

My editorial comments:)
Siphoning the tank bottom early every morning is an even better way to remove tomonts before they release theronts.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back