Aqua One 195 Sump

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been using s canister filter on my aqua one 195 for about 8 months now and all the fish and corals are happy, however it's so much hard work trying to keep the glass clean.

If I change the canister for a sump will this drastically improve the algae growth/water clarity. If so can you guys help me find or create a sump and advice on what equipment it may need as this is my first marine tank and Ive never had a sump.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scousereefer, while a sump can definitely make a drastic impact on the water quality of your aquarium it tough to say if it would make an impact on your tank due to multiple factors that affect algae growth. For instance what lights do you have, what intensity are they at and how long are they on for. How often are you doing water changes and what are your water parameters. Also what canister filter are you using and how often are you changing the media inside of it.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scousereefer, while a sump can definitely make a drastic impact on the water quality of your aquarium it tough to say if it would make an impact on your tank due to multiple factors that affect algae growth. For instance what lights do you have, what intensity are they at and how long are they on for. How often are you doing water changes and what are your water parameters. Also what canister filter are you using and how often are you changing the media inside of it.
Thanks for the reply, i change about 30percent ever 3-4 weeks with reefpro coral salt and tap water that has been conditioned and top up with freshwater once a week as it's summer here. Lights are on quite low (60 blue and 15white). I feed once a day enough pellets slowly until they don't eat and there is very little excess and will give them frozen mysis once per week as a treat.

I clean filter media once every 2-3 months and replace carbon and it is usually housing lots of copepods.

I am looking to set a sump up and going to begin using RODI water in the next few weeks.

Any ideas for a sump and what equipment should I get for optimal water clarity and coral growth.

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, i change about 30percent ever 3-4 weeks with reefpro coral salt and tap water that has been conditioned and top up with freshwater once a week as it's summer here. Lights are on quite low (60 blue and 15white). I feed once a day enough pellets slowly until they don't eat and there is very little excess and will give them frozen mysis once per week as a treat.

I clean filter media once every 2-3 months and replace carbon and it is usually housing lots of copepods.

I am looking to set a sump up and going to begin using RODI water in the next few weeks.

Any ideas for a sump and what equipment should I get for optimal water clarity and coral growth.
For starters I think that changing to RODI water is going to massively decrease your algae, I also think that changing your carbon out once per month would also help to increase water clarity. If you do set up a sump the layout depends on how much space you have available. I would probably go as big as you with either a prebuilt sump or standard tank that you add glass baffles to. If you end up building your own I would go with a layout that has one filter sock, a skimmer section and then a refugium if you have space followed by a bubble trap and your return pump.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters I think that changing to RODI water is going to massively decrease your algae, I also think that changing your carbon out once per month would also help to increase water clarity. If you do set up a sump the layout depends on how much space you have available. I would probably go as big as you with either a prebuilt sump or standard tank that you add glass baffles to. If you end up building your own I would go with a layout that has one filter sock, a skimmer section and then a refugium if you have space followed by a bubble trap and your return pump

For starters I think that changing to RODI water is going to massively decrease your algae, I also think that changing your carbon out once per month would also help to increase water clarity. If you do set up a sump the layout depends on how much space you have available. I would probably go as big as you with either a prebuilt sump or standard tank that you add glass baffles to. If you end up building your own I would go with a layout that has one filter sock, a skimmer section and then a refugium if you have space followed by a bubble trap and your return pump.
Thanks for the advice, is it easy to make a sump yourself? I don't fancy paying 250+ for a premade one haha.
The space il have is about 18" cube should be enough for a filter sock and skimmer, do you think il have room for a small refugium and bubble trap?

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back