Aquamaxx hob-1 and micro bubbles.

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Doob, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Doob

Doob Well-Known Member

I've read that it's normal for 1-3 weeks while it breaks in, but I also see that they sell a "bubble stop" which shouldn't be necessary if the bubbles stop on their own eventually. No matter, I don't have room in the back of my JBJ 45 for the thing even if I was willing to buy it. I installed it on April 1st, so I'm nearing 3 weeks and if anything it's getting worse. Halp.

I extended the output tube an extra few inches so that it's completely submerged. Should I cut a piece of filter sponge to shove in the end? Any other tips/tricks?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460914412.915913.jpg
    ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460914437.115830.jpg
    ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460914455.967204.jpg

Tags:

2. Doob

Doob Well-Known Member

Bump

3. samnaz

samnaz Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Did you find a solution to the micro bubbles? I've had this skimmer for about 7 months and they are just getting way worse. The salt creep caused by the bubbles popping at the surface is becoming out of control. It's going to ruin the light fixture I have mounted on my tank.

4. Doob

Doob Well-Known Member

I have not, just learned to live with it. I’ve tried everything I could think of. It is set up now so the output pipe has a 90° elbow on the end and is just below the water surface. I just remove it ever couple of months and give everything a good cleaning.

I tried a couple versions of my own bubble stop. All of them caused back pressure in the skimmer, so it ran with a higher water level, which only got worse as the sponge became dirty. Inconsistent water level caused inconsistent skimming. Cleaning the sponge was more maintenance than cleaning the skimmer periodically.

I imagine their bubble stop would have the same issues, but I’m not going to pay to find out.

Draft saved Draft deleted