Aquamaxx hob-1 and micro bubbles.

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that it's normal for 1-3 weeks while it breaks in, but I also see that they sell a "bubble stop" which shouldn't be necessary if the bubbles stop on their own eventually. No matter, I don't have room in the back of my JBJ 45 for the thing even if I was willing to buy it. I installed it on April 1st, so I'm nearing 3 weeks and if anything it's getting worse. Halp.

I extended the output tube an extra few inches so that it's completely submerged. Should I cut a piece of filter sponge to shove in the end? Any other tips/tricks?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460914412.915913.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460914437.115830.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1460914455.967204.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a solution to the micro bubbles? I've had this skimmer for about 7 months and they are just getting way worse. The salt creep caused by the bubbles popping at the surface is becoming out of control. It's going to ruin the light fixture I have mounted on my tank.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a solution to the micro bubbles? I've had this skimmer for about 7 months and they are just getting way worse. The salt creep caused by the bubbles popping at the surface is becoming out of control. It's going to ruin the light fixture I have mounted on my tank.

I have not, just learned to live with it. I’ve tried everything I could think of. It is set up now so the output pipe has a 90° elbow on the end and is just below the water surface. I just remove it ever couple of months and give everything a good cleaning.

I tried a couple versions of my own bubble stop. All of them caused back pressure in the skimmer, so it ran with a higher water level, which only got worse as the sponge became dirty. Inconsistent water level caused inconsistent skimming. Cleaning the sponge was more maintenance than cleaning the skimmer periodically.

I imagine their bubble stop would have the same issues, but I’m not going to pay to find out.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, just learned to live with it. I’ve tried everything I could think of. It is set up now so the output pipe has a 90° elbow on the end and is just below the water surface. I just remove it ever couple of months and give everything a good cleaning.

I tried a couple versions of my own bubble stop. All of them caused back pressure in the skimmer, so it ran with a higher water level, which only got worse as the sponge became dirty. Inconsistent water level caused inconsistent skimming. Cleaning the sponge was more maintenance than cleaning the skimmer periodically.

I imagine their bubble stop would have the same issues, but I’m not going to pay to find out.
Seems silly to pay $30 or whatever for their bubble stop. I cut a piece of sponge to fit perfectly on the output pipe, easy and cheap. Hardly helps at all with microbubbles and splashing. Can't see how their version would be any better.

Starting to think there is no way to eliminate the bubbles, or at least decrease them to an acceptable amount.

Guess I need a lid to stop the splashing.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever find a solution ? The bubble stopper won’t fit a JBJ 28 from what I’ve read.

HoosierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck here. Anyone ever tried extending the exhaust pipe further down say 4-6”?

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the exhaust extended below the water line. My issue is micro bubbles sneaking over into the return from the left side.

Jae Andrade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue I have a bubble stopper but I have micro bubbles escaping from the left side to the right side where the water returns to tank

Quentin05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I know it's an old post but I have the same skimmer and a JBJ45 also and found this thread multiple times during my google research to find a way to fix micro bubbles and I found one.

I hope it helps new JBJ and Aquamaxx HOB owners.

The new JBJ 45 come with 2 filter socks (one for each overflow). Filter socks are not really good in the long run so I replaced it by a 4" diameter plastic cup that I fill with poly-fill but I kept the socks, unthreaded them from the plastic ring and rinsed them.

Then on the output T of the skimmer I added a longer tube on one side of the T, going down into the water in the middle chamber. I then took a rubber band, and attached the sock to this tube really tight.

The sock should not get dirty as fast as if it was at the overflow but you have a spare sock if you need one.

Bubbles gone after 10 minutes.

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquamaxx ConeS HoB skimmer. Doing the following always improved the performance and helped with/eliminated bubble issues.

1) Open the skimmer so water level is lowest.
2) Take the air intake tube off the silencer and submerge in water for ~15 seconds.
3) Replace air intake tube back on to silencer and reset the water level of the skimmer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back