Aquarium Controller Cabinet, Product?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anyway, didnt mean to detract from this great thread - keep on building Elder.

I've always admired your builds and attention to detail - this product is no different. Very inspiring.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice attention to detail. Assuming the end user doesn't ruin the finish, I think those look nicer than the plastic caps that come with some furniture.

1572014559382.png

Yea we looked into almost everything and it all seemed kinda lame tbh. I am a very active aquarist myself and small plastic bits just fall off... Also, the Ikea type fasteners can weaken over time and overall never liked them in the long run.

I literally am using this cabinet in my personal tank and it needs to perform well. To the point, we are slightly rounding all of the exposed edges so the chances of you getting that paper cut on a sharp edge are mitigated as much as possible.

We have used a test unit and have sent out a few test units to make sure we hit the mark as much as possible.

I've read through this and I either overlooked it, or didn't see a full description of the product.

Is this like a modular type deal where you buy it and piece it all together?

For example, I run GHL setup with 2 dosers, a KHD, a p4, and 2 mp40s.

Would the cabinet be custom for that, or could I buy several sections?Attach files

Love the look of what I've seen so far

The unit comes with full faceplates to mount to or to customize as you see fit. You then can buy faceplates that fit certain equipment perfectly.

These are optional and not needed to have a functional cabinet but if you want the "Full Custom Look" these are quite handy.

As I am sitting in the "factory" these are made the turn around time to let's say a custom cut and sized Neptune Trident faceplate can happen quickly. I also do not need to hit the minimum orders that most suppliers do as I have full control of all of this.

We have quite a few faceplates already done. We also have quite a few logos and so on. Overall this will be a multitude of accessories but they will all be released over time to feel out the market and so on.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im buying my first home within the month or next month and have a new 180 gallon tank I am Upgrading to so I will have a clean tank soon.. just looking for ways to keep my fish healthy until then
Yea we looked into almost everything and it all seemed kinda lame tbh. I am a very active aquarist myself and small plastic bits just fall off... Also, the Ikea type fasteners can weaken over time and overall never liked them in the long run.

I literally am using this cabinet in my personal tank and it needs to perform well. To the point, we are slightly rounding all of the exposed edges so the chances of you getting that paper cut on a sharp edge are mitigated as much as possible.

We have used a test unit and have sent out a few test units to make sure we hit the mark as much as possible.

The unit comes with full faceplates to mount to or to customize as you see fit. You then can buy faceplates that fit certain equipment perfectly.

These are optional and not needed to have a functional cabinet but if you want the "Full Custom Look" these are quite handy.

As I am sitting in the "factory" these are made the turn around time to let's say a custom cut and sized Neptune Trident faceplate can happen quickly. I also do not need to hit the minimum orders that most suppliers do as I have full control of all of this.

We have quite a few faceplates already done. We also have quite a few logos and so on. Overall this will be a multitude of accessories but they will all be released over time to feel out the market and so on.

Do you have any idea how much the face plates will be? Do you think you'll be shipping those directly? Or those would also be through the distributors? See any issues shipping to other countries (US) if you are shipping those directly?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elder1945 Great to see an idea come to fruition!
Excited to see these hit the shelf... well really I’m excited to be able to order one and install it! Are preorders available?

As for optional faceplates, will they be available to be ordered directly thru retailers or will there be another more direct purchase process?

With a 92 Corner tank there wasn’t much room under the sump for what I felt like would be safe for the equipment and inhabitants so my control center is mounted outside of the cabinet. This will be a great product since it’s planned for the application. I tried the DIY route with A/V cabinets... needless to say I’ll be happily ordering one of these!

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea how much the face plates will be? Do you think you'll be shipping those directly? Or those would also be through the distributors? See any issues shipping to other countries (US) if you are shipping those directly?

Faceplates will all vary but we are standardizing it all now.

This whole line is going to be going through Coral Vue. We have played with the idea of selling direct but in the end, this does not fit within my wheelhouse. I like building and developing things... Not so much owning a store or a distribution hub.

All of our products are OEM or branded under Adaptive Reef and sold through online Retailers or Distributors.

This product will be available in the US and Canada as shipping would be handled by Coral Vue or the Retailer that carries my products.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Elder1945 Great to see an idea come to fruition!
Excited to see these hit the shelf... well really I’m excited to be able to order one and install it! Are preorders available?

As for optional faceplates, will they be available to be ordered directly thru retailers or will there be another more direct purchase process?

With a 92 Corner tank there wasn’t much room under the sump for what I felt like would be safe for the equipment and inhabitants so my control center is mounted outside of the cabinet. This will be a great product since it’s planned for the application. I tried the DIY route with A/V cabinets... needless to say I’ll be happily ordering one of these!

Yes! I am excited for this product to hit the market.. I have so many ideas and accessories planed it's kinda crazy.

We are launching with a handfull of faceplates but there are so many more on the way. I will actually use R2R for suggestions and honestly try to fill every need I can. With the standardization of the cabinet the development time and producing time are litteral days.

Room under a stand can be tight and is one of the driving forces behind the development of this... Also for that cool custom look to show off not only your system but all of the nice equipment.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the interesting things I saw on my travels in Canada was the cult of Tim Hortons . Up till then I had never heard of them but soon learned that the lines in those coffee shops was always long, no matter the time of day or night. I also learned they had the BEST cinnamon rolls going. Loved to hear people say Double, Double! Course now they are in the states too and very popular here as well but not quite like Canada.

A little side knowledge for those Tim Hortons lovers out there. When Burger King bought Tim Hortons they switched coffee suppliers, so the Tim Hortons coffee everyone drinks now is NOT the same as the famous original blend. McDonald's bought the contract for there original supplier and they came out with McCafé. So if you want a truly original Tim Hortons coffee, you have to go to McDonald's to get it. :p

Things are looking awesome Kyle (@Elder1945), I think I'll still go the custom route with my controller board but you'll be hearing about that next year!

Superdad4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,

Some of you may know that every once and a while ill build a cabinet or controller stand for someone local or just for fun.

Like this:
40232424630_427d36ebf1_b.jpg

The main issue with building things like this is the overall cost.

Well... I think i have figured out a way to make this obtainable for the cost of a average acrylic sump that is sold by the big retailers.

The idea would be flat packed to your door with a simple assembly.
thumbnail (1).jpg

Once built would look like this:
thumbnail (5).jpg

The unit is sized to fit the most popular systems from Red sea to Waterbox and if it is a little tight I have a optional base that you can use to place beside your system.
thumbnail (3).jpg

The face plates are interchangeable with the most popular product die cut and custom fit. Almost anything is possible so the customization is almost unlimited. I also have most of the popular Ipads and so on already mounted. There will be vinyl wraps to customize color and texture as well.
thumbnail.jpg

Once all installed the whole face is removable from the cabinet for easy access.
thumbnail (4).jpg

At this point these are just the first 2 prototypes but I have finished units already done and boxes. I am sending a bunch out for final real world testing. The plan is also to give some away here on R2R if i can sort it out.

As for who or when it will hit market as of now the who is still up in the air and the when is soon. I am talking to "people" to get this out as fast as possible.

I wanted to get some feed back on this from the R2R community as I think this would be a cool product that no only helps people keep there systems clean but also will let people to get the full custom look without the cost.

whats your thoughts?

thumbnail (2).jpg
I would be very interested.

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love me some McCafe'! boxes look great Elder! you may have mentioned it but will there be a black version like the control boards?
I will have to see how the white version does but nothing is off the table... However, I have something up my sleeve a lot cooler than just Black or White.
Fantastic idea ! Especially at the price point you’ve looking at! I would definitely buy one of these units and most likely customize it even more!
Yes, the material can be worked just like wood. It is easy to cut, sand and paint.

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super interested in this, we spend nearly as much on automation and equipment as on the tank and livestock in some cases. Really neat cases, hoping to get one myself with some custom needs!

Thanks!

docwells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the idea. Read this post. Would like to get one soon with some customization. Would need to get it customized for my Neptune equipment. Any chance these could be made taller? Any chance of having NFL team logo ?

I saw your GHL cabinet in person at Reefapalooza in Chicago. It was awesome build quality.

Jason Roth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to see how the white version does but nothing is off the table... However, I have something up my sleeve a lot cooler than just Black or White.

Yes, the material can be worked just like wood. It is easy to cut, sand and paint.

I am curious on customizing options with this. This looks great. I was planning to build a cabinet to stain close to my tank cabinet color but then have an insert in the cabinet for the equipment. I need to measure but have decent room on side of tank cabinet for a small cabinet. To the left is where I want equipment cabinet and ato res. Tank is 120g (48x24x24).

9DEFCA37-8E34-4922-8643-050BAC374BC9.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 71 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back