Are Baffles really needed in larger setups?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've got a 75 gallon tank that had been modified to be a sump (essentially 3 glass baffles to create the return "chamber". Are these needed. I'm looking at redoing my sump, plumbing and everything to be neater, easier to maintain, and fit more equipment. For my overflow rate, I'll probably need 2 Large Bubble magus roller mats (eliminating filter socks!). I don't have room for two filter rollers, my massive skimmer, and ATS unless I remove the three glass baffles. We have to drain the sump anyways to redo some of the plumbing and reposition the sump.

MY ATS is plumbed off my return pump, so, I was planning to run the ATS directly over the top of the Return area. Remove the baffles, move the skimmer to be in between the middle 3rd of the sump and move my heaters to be in between the overflow area and skimmer, and hard plumbing "Y" fashion splitting into two 1.5" overflows off of the primary into two large bubble magus filter rollers.

I realize ATO will be a bit odd at maintaining the level of the entire sump vs. just the return section. If I need a return section, then I'd probably end up shrinking the return section to be half the size it is now, and just use two custom made acrylic baffles.

I would prefer to just remove the baffles and control the overall water level of the sump. I've got a great ATO that can run my top off pump up to 99 seconds before shutting off as a fail safe. So, I think it could easily keep up with the level of the entire sump. My total water volume is in the neighborhood of 350-375 gallons (340g display and 75g sump about half full).

I've had this 75 gallon on multiple tanks for 8 years, and I'm ready now to go to the next level of roller mats vs. socks! (My wife is too.. she gave me the go ahead to buy anything I need to get rid of filtersocks going in the clothes washer. :) ) I'm pretty sure that's within reason...

:)

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer bubbles stay out of your display, and the entire sump is at the skimmer's required depth, there is zero reason to have baffles. A few people on this forum run wide open sumps.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do this if you're really confident in your ato accuracy. Skimmer tuning might be a bit annoying.

Personally I would just keep 1 set of baffles for a return chamber. Otherwise everything else can be the same.

Honestly don't understand high end sump design. Open sump design is endgame imo.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 breeder with no baffles on my 120 and 45 frag system.
I run a 7" sock, 9430dc skimmer,
Lifegaurd media reactor, and a modified 6" Skimz media reactor I made into a carx.
My Tunze ato is very sensative and only runs for maybe 15 seconds keeping everything very stable.
20211002_110841.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the more baffles the better. It will help to smooth out the flow in the sump, thus, create less micribubbles and such.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My baffles failed about 4-5 months ago. Haven't fixed them. I even have a spare 29 gallon sump and have been meaning to do it but haven't gotten around to it. ATO keep water level constant enough. One of the failed baffles does kinda lay over/on top of the return pump and I think that helps keep bubbles out of the DT.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 40 breeder with no baffles on my 120 and 45 frag system.
I run a 7" sock, 9430dc skimmer,
Lifegaurd media reactor, and a modified 6" Skimz media reactor I made into a carx.
My Tunze ato is very sensative and only runs for maybe 15 seconds keeping everything very stable.
20211002_110841.jpg
My skimmer alone is 12" wide and with the pump is closer to 16-18". It takes up about 1/3 of my entire 75 gallon sump. I don't know if it does 1/3rd of the work.. But, it's dirty. so, there's that!
I like the open concept. I'm leaning towards that as well. My skimmer is sitting on an egg crate stand to maintain the appropriate water level. So, I May go completely open and modify the skimmer stand to be at the appropriate depth and call it good.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overall water that needs to evaporate would be more than if using an ato in a sectioned off return section so it may keep the salinity a bit more stable just by adding one piece of acrylic at the return side. Microbubbles would be the only thing i would be concerned about as well but you could also throw one of these in there to block microbubbles, i use the green one should handle around 1000gph flow just fine, the black would be if you were running even more flow, or make a standard bubble trap baffle with a second piece of acrylic

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open isnt a bad option at all though especially with a good ato system

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the skimmer is happy, heaters are safe and you're just stuffing equipment into a space then its fine without but it sure limits future adaptability. a refugium for instance sure needs its own divider or things get messy quick. eggcrate is another decent alternative to partition a sump

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer alone is 12" wide and with the pump is closer to 16-18". It takes up about 1/3 of my entire 75 gallon sump. I don't know if it does 1/3rd of the work.. But, it's dirty. so, there's that!
I like the open concept. I'm leaning towards that as well. My skimmer is sitting on an egg crate stand to maintain the appropriate water level. So, I May go completely open and modify the skimmer stand to be at the appropriate depth and call it good.
That skimmer sounds massive.
My Tunze 9430dc takes up maybe 1/3 of my sump, 36", but it is super efficient. Its rated to 925g's or 270g's full sps. My system is 120g's.
The return pump is less than 6" away from the skimmers discharge and I have zero micro bubbles. I pull 300ml a day of skim.
Very underrated skimmers.

No baffles makes servicing your sumps equipment simple.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the skimmer is happy, heaters are safe and you're just stuffing equipment into a space then its fine without but it sure limits future adaptability. a refugium for instance sure needs its own divider or things get messy quick. eggcrate is another decent alternative to partition a sump
Your right! However Most sumps are really not big enough to get the full effects of a proper fuge, imo. Plus I dont want light in my sump if I can help it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back